1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

97 Ranger Airbag Light 4 Blink Sequence

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 01:23 PM
customstringer
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 Ranger Airbag Light 4 Blink Sequence

I attempted to search the forum before posting this note but could not find anything specific. We just purchased a 1997 Ranger XLT Flareside, 4 cyl. 2WD. Recently the airbag warning light started flashing after startup, a sequence of 4 flashes which repeats several times before the light stays on for good. I am wondering if someone decode the 4 flash sequence please and possibly the remedy.

By coincidence the first time we saw this was after a heavy rain and my son had left the driver side window cracked so the inside got fairly wet. I am hoping perhaps some contact got wet enough to ground and maybe it will dry out and solve the problem. The only other thing we have done to the truck is I did have to replace the driver's seat belt [female end] and there was a wire that had to be plugged/unplugged. I'm sure in part that pertains to the seat belt warning light but since the airbag and seatbelt are all part of the restraint system I thought I'd mention it. I doubt they are related.

Thank you for any replies.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:46 PM
PSKSAM2
Laughing Gas
Welcome to FTE!

The airbag light flashes a code in those series of blinks. It is a two digit code, like "32", so it would blink *** **, with a pause between the 3 blinks and the 2. I think it repeats a number of times. Since you say you saw a 4 blink pattern, I'm assuming that you have a code 13, 22, or 31.

I don't see those in this post:
Airbag code 12??

How to read them:
98 Ranger Airbag light

If you check the code again, and make sure of the number of blinks, someone on here will find it and post the cause. Some fixes are simple, like jiggling or cleaning a connector, others can cost money.

-Jim

Last edited by PSKSAM2; 07-07-2006 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:49 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Can't say what is your problem, but the first thing to check when the blinking starts is the connectors under the seat.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:50 PM
customstringer
Elder User
Thanks for the very quick response. I'll have to look more closely but watching it last night there was no clear separation such as 1-3 or 3-1. My suspicion is that it is the 22, if you know what that means.

Thanks again

Old 07-07-2006, 01:53 PM
customstringer
Elder User
I was looking for those under the driver's seat last night [this truck only has a driver side air bag] but could not find any wiring. In fact as mentioned in my original post, the bottom seat cushion got quite wet, so I was wondering if there was a connection under there that may have been impacted by that. Any tips would be appreciated but I'll look again.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:07 PM
PSKSAM2
Laughing Gas
No, I don't. I sure someone will respond who has a manual with them listed. I added some links to my post above with some of the values listed.

-Jim

Old 07-07-2006, 02:22 PM
customstringer
Elder User
Thanks once again for the quick reply. I checked both the prior links and appreciate the reference. If there is a contact under the seat, I'm very interested if moisture could be the issue.

Old 07-08-2006, 05:50 PM
customstringer
Elder User
The airbag light has gone off. Either it reset itself or my suspicion about a wet contact that dried out was correct. Thanks to those who helped and this issue is closed.

Old 07-21-2006, 07:21 AM
customstringer
Elder User
Well the infamous 4 blink airbag code has returned. It is a series of 4 blinks equally timed apart, repeating. It does not separate between the blinks such that it would possibly be a 1-3, 3-1 or 2-2, though I would be interested in what those codes mean, in addition to 4-4. If someone has those codes and can list them I'd appreciate it.

The only thing I have done to the interior of this truck after the recent purchase was replace the left side seat belt lock [in the seat, with the button]. The button wasn't working well so I went to a salvage yard and picked up another. I disconnected and reconnected the electrical plug on the belt with no issues. But I am wondering if that is the culprit. It is a little hard to evaluated because the problem comes and goes.

I am also wondering if I can clear this by disconnecting the negative battery cable for a period of minutes to see if that helps.

Any help with these codes and what to do would be appreciated.

Old 07-21-2006, 10:57 AM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Code 44 is "Right hand crash sensor not mounted to vehicle properly."

Diagram isnt real clear on exact location, but you will find the sensor slightly inboard from the passenger side headlight with 3 wires attached.

FYI, theres also an identical left hand sensor near drivers side headlight.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:22 PM
customstringer
Elder User
Thank you very much. Would you be able to describe what the sensor looks like, in addition to the 3 wires, to help me find it, and what is your suggestion on which might be the easier way to find it, from up top or underneath.

I have looked in the forums for some comprehensive listing of all the airbag codes but have never seen one. I've seen some partial lists and then individual codes discussed in threads. If you or someone has a full list that can be supplied it might help with future issues [or perhaps where we can go to get the full listing].

Thanks once again very much and I'll try to find the sensor and whatever mounting issue there may be.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:22 PM
customstringer
Elder User
I just located this table on another site.

AIR BAG DIAGNOSTIC MONITOR FAULT CODE PRIORITY TABLE
Priority Code Component/Fault Description
Highest -- No Air Bag Lamp - Inoperative Lamp Circuit or No Ignition Voltage to Diagnostic Monitor
| -- Continuous Air Bag Lamp - Diagnostic Monitor Disconnected or Inoperative
| 12 Low Battery Voltage
| 13 Air Bag Circuit or Crash Sensor Circuit - Shorted to Ground
| 21 Safing Sensor - Not Mounted on Vehicle Properly
| 22 Safing Sensor Output Circuit - Shorted to Battery Voltage
| 23 Safing Sensor Input Feed/Return Circuit Open
| 24 Open in Circuit 944B or Low Resistance in Crash Sensor(s)
| 32 Driver Side Air Bag/Safing Sensor Circuit - High Resistance or Open
| 33 Pin 7 Not Grounded at Diagnostic Monitor
| 34 Driver Side Air Bag/Safing Sensor Circuit - Low Resistance or Shorted
| 35 Low Resistance Across Pins 8 and 9 at Diagnostic Monitor
| 41 Crash Sensor Circuit - High Resistance or Open
| 44 RH Crash Sensor - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
| 45 Center Radiator Crash Sensor - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
| 46 LH Crash Sensor - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
| 51 Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal Fuse - Blown and Short to Ground No Longer Exists
| 52 Backup Power Supply - Voltage Boost Fault
| 53 Internal Diagnostic Monitor Fault
Lowest -- Rapid Continuous Flashing of Air Bag Lamp - All Crash Sensors Disconnected

Old 07-21-2006, 03:12 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
As they say knowledge is power, thats why i've always purchased the official Ford shop & electrical troubleshooting manuals for my Fords.

But, i've heard good things about www.alldatadiy.com, so when I buy my next Ford I think I will give them a try.
A one year subscription to their online repair manuals is only 25 bucks, so not risking much $$$

Odds are that if you sign up wth alldata you will find everything that you need to know to fix this air bag-and future- problems.

The most important thing to look up is how to work on this crash sensor without setting off the VERY expensive air bag.

I'm no expert on airbag systems, but if you disconnect the negative cable from the battery & wait30 minutes for the air bag capacitor to discharge you should'nt have any problems. But proceed at your own risk on this.

When the honchos at Ford see a pattern of a particular warranty repair taking hours to diagnose & fix they will issue a technical service bulletin showing the proper procedure for a quick repair.

A Ford mechanic can pull up this TSB and a repair that would take hours might be done in a few minutes.

Having access to these TSB's can also save you a lot of time and aggravation.
To see a list of the TSB's that a subscription to alldatdiy will give you access to go to www.alldata.com click on "recalls & technical service bulletins" and enter the info for your 97.

When it comes to working on your truck the trick is to work smart, not hard.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:18 PM
customstringer
Elder User
Thanks for the valuable information. I've only had this truck a few weeks. I did buy the Haynes manual and I just ordered the Ford CD. I am familiar with airbag systems generally from other work I do and I do plan on disconnecting the battery cable, plus being careful. For now I just want to try and locate the thing and take smart steps from there. Thanks again.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:48 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Yeah the Ford CD is also a good way to go..

From the diagram it looks like the sensor is bolted to the sheet metal behind and slightly inboard from the passenger headlight.

Quick Reply: 97 Ranger Airbag Light 4 Blink Sequence