General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

What would FTE do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 02:18 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would FTE do?

The neighboring HOA (I'm surrounded by them) recently voted to restrict (as in ban) 4th of July displays in the development. This includes flag flying and any other "seasonal decorations." They also voted to restrict Christmas lighting displays to "a single band of holiday lighting going no further than the frontage of the home."

By some fluke, our house and the house next door belongs to the HOA on the other side of the forest- meaning I'm surrounded by these dipwads but not subject to their covenants.

Now this was our christmas light display the year before last. Last year, wifey added a few things.

Today, she's got the whole front porch done up in red/white/blue bows, flag flying..... you get the idea. And she sez "just wait until Christmas- the HOA prez is going to think the Griswolds live next door- and we're three blocks away."

Are we over the top- or are they?

Last edited by polarbear; 07-02-2006 at 02:39 AM.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:27 AM
big hoss 29
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could understand if you were flying a swastika or something like that, but an AMERICAN FLAG?? I remember seeing them everywhere on September 12, 2001, so why are they against the rules now?

If it were me, I'd have my house lit up like a freakin' airport runway, sitting outside playing John Phillip Souza records painted Red, White and Blue with sparklers in my hat..................just to pith them off!

Last edited by big hoss 29; 07-02-2006 at 02:33 AM.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:47 AM
74fordtruck
Posting Guru
At our house, my mom flies an American Flag out front any time it isnt stormy. We even have a spotlight on it, so it can live outside respectably at night.

What's this dude's problem? If he doesnt want to fly a flag at his own home, that's his own fiasco. He needs to remember that many soldiers died so that he wouldnt be required to drive a mini cooper and board the British troops nightly.

Old 07-02-2006, 03:07 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If it was me, expecially where he has no say, I would buy up every little american flag on a stick I could find, you know the type like little kids wave at parades, and fill my yard with them just for starters then I would put up a big old flag pole with the biggest flag I could find and a million candle power spotlight aimed at it. put up the christmas lights using red, white and blue bulbs, put up red white and blue banners everywhere, and expecially completly around my property line like police tape, heck give me time I am sure I can think of some more. I would also then petition everyone to have him banned from the area as an anti american, communist dictator type.

Edit, and just for good measure put an american flag on your vehicles antenna and drive up and down the street in front of this idiots house as many times as you can afford the gas.

Last edited by monsterbaby; 07-02-2006 at 03:11 AM.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:16 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
It's not one person- the Homeowner's Association took a vote- and that was the verdict. A neighbor up the street had an illuminated flag on a pole, and I see it the flag's gone, ditto illumination.

I'm tempted to show up at the next HOA meeting with this offer- they rescind that ammendment, or we'll make sure that our house will be visible from space come Christmastime.

Old 07-02-2006, 04:08 AM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You live next to them but aren't governed by them?!? Thats pretty cool. If I were in your shoes, and it didn't affect me, I would just do whatever I wanted. I probably wouldn't go overboard with anything, but still make it perfectly clear what I was trying to say. TTTHHHHBBBBTTTTT.

Old 07-02-2006, 04:12 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Better get a headstart on your own HOA - so that no such despicable regulation ever applies to YOU! In fact - you might pay some visits to disgusted members of the OTHER HOA and get some of their opinions to present at the next meeting of your own.

I luv my own situation! I am subject to local zoning restrictions it is true - but this house never was and NEVER WILL BE part of any HOA in this area. I got it before there were any, so they can collectively kiss my gluteus maximus.

As it stands however - the other houses had a competition going last Christmas to see who could use the most power with holiday light displays

Come to think of it, in terms of the 4th of July it's a good thing I put together some extra hose connections. There's no telling how much tonnage my neighbors will expend this year!!! Fourth of July in my neck O' the woods tends to resemble the Fallon Nevada Air Force Gunnery range...

Old 07-02-2006, 05:32 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,173 Posts
polarbear, i am with monsterbaby on this one. as many flags and lights as you can possably get. and make sure every vehicle has at least 1 flag flying. then get everyone in your hoa to do the same thing, to show the others how they are being unpatriotic rectal orifices.

i have no problem with a HOA here.i know all the home owners, we like each other,and only have problems with one owner. but he runs a rental property, and we put the town on him.

the only problem the neighbors have with me is when i bring another vehicle in, like last week. but i fix all their jap jobs, so they look the other way.

Old 07-02-2006, 05:44 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I think the question is, how good are you at parachuting Ernie?

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircra...gsWithFlag.jpg

Old 07-02-2006, 05:51 AM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HOAs are nothing but governing bodies made up of petty, vendictive people looking to impose THEIR vision of what neighborhood life should be on other home owners.

It's good to hear your home is not governed by these self-centered a**h***s. Hopefully, yours will not do the samething.....

But, as other are suggesting, I would make sure the Space Shuttle crew will be able to identify your home from orbit when they launch on the 4th...

Last edited by wildcard30; 07-02-2006 at 05:59 AM.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:13 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are we over the top- or are they?
They are and you should Topple them, as youre doing, I'd do the same thing.

That guy with the annimated lights to music comes to mind....

or you could write "your HOA sucks" in xmas lights on your roof......

Old 07-02-2006, 10:54 AM
beeboy
Postmaster
PB, I didn't think they had HOA's that strict in the NW. You read about them in Kalifornia and Floridiot. At least in my HOA our biggest fight is about RV's in driveways. I hate seeing places trying to ban all things American.

One thing with HOA votes..the people that tend to show up and vote are the vocal ones trying to get their way. Then the rest wonder what the heck happened.

I'd celebrate the holidays like there is no tomorrow! I fly my flag nearly 365 days a year. My dad put a 20' flag pole in his front yard. It's in my blood

Old 07-02-2006, 11:08 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It's not you Ernie, it's definitely them! Go for it, show 'em your stuff!

And just to get the point home, I'd put speakers on the front porch blaring out patriotic music (Turn it down a bit at night to avoid alienating the neighbors in your HOA.)

Then, on the 5th take it all down and get a head start on the Xmas decorations!

Old 07-02-2006, 02:20 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
This is kind of interesting- our hourse (red dot) and the one next to it belong to the sub-division on the other side of the woods. The HOA prez lives next door. The rest of the homes are in the other HOA- the one with the new decoration restrictions. This is a pretty steep hillside facing East, and the property behind the house is "enviornmentally sensitive" (not buildable).

Old 07-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Howdy
Posting Guru
You need a big flag pole in the front yard - I mean a BIG flag pole. This could be used to fly your flag during the 4th of Jul....er, spring summer and fall. Then be used to hang Christmas lights in the winter. Make it high enough and everyone up on snob hill should enjoy it... Do it now, so it's grandfathered when they try and pressure your HOA.

About 10 foot about your roof ridge ought to be high enough, so people can see it down below your house....The neighborhood up on the hill would frame that flag nicely.

Edit: That pic doesn't show the slope of the terrain well. It's pretty steep.

Last edited by Howdy; 07-02-2006 at 02:34 PM.

Quick Reply: What would FTE do?