run around cajon pass/high desert?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 02:31 AM
fun_suv
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
run around cajon pass/high desert?

Hey all,

I joined a while back and there was supposed to be a drive going on. I cant find the thread, and ive searched all my posts and i cant find anything on it. I assume it was deleted and the drive never happened. I am installing monomax shocks and my new running boards pretty soon within a week. Im also a photographer (amatuer), and i like visiting abandonments. One of my favorite places is George AFB out in Victorville. On the way up there several times, ive noticed MANY roads id like to tear up and find out whats at the end. Ive seen Jeep clubs down on the right side of the 15fwy while going UP the Cajon pass. Does anyone want to get a relaxed casual offroad cruise going when the heat settles down a bit? Maybe we can find something that goes a long way along the base of the mountains. I think this would be cool.

Let me know

Old 07-02-2006, 08:33 PM
fun_suv
Senior User
At this rate, ill be lucky if i get 1 other truck out there with me.

Old 07-06-2006, 04:51 PM
wassabe
Senior User
My buddies and I go riding off of Stoddard Wells Road and I've seen a lot of jeep clubs out that way cruising around the desert. It always looked fun to me but my truck is too big (88 F250 4X4 Super Cab LB) for most the stuff they climb.

I know of a poker run that happens twice a year sponsored by High Desert Charities. I've participated a couple of times and Its a lot of fun. I do it on my bike but there is a seperate course for buggies and jeeps. Nothing to advanced but lots of fun anyway. Its in October and April each year and is followed by a BBQ and live band at The slash X Cafe. Might be a good way to meet some people with the same interests.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:24 PM
lv2race
Laughing Gas
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Slash X is a great ride for food and beer. We park off Stoddard Wells about 6 miles in after it turns to dirt. The whole family rides and the Slash is always on the menu. Only bummer is the Slash is under new ownership and you may find the "Closed" sign out front earlier than usual.

Another great trail run is the back road up to Big Bear. You can get there from east Hesperia. Dirt trail goes from Hesperia to the north side of Big Bear Lake. You will pass through Holcomb Valley where there is an abandonded hundred year old cabin called "Pigmy Cabin". There are many abandoned mines you can explore as well. Great for the camera. There are many dirt roads in the mountains with beautiful views and wildlife. If you are interested, get a San Bernardino Mountain map from AAA.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:24 AM
Sarahs85Bronco
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi

Slash X where is that and more details? Like you ride to get there not actually there? I am new to this stuff in cali. I used to 4x4 all the time when i lived in az here is a whole new ballgame with all the damn signs everywhere "no tresspasing" being that i have kids i have to actually read them! GRRR damn responsibility. ANYWAYS!

Old 01-09-2007, 02:25 AM
fun_suv
Senior User
I havent been out in socal much. 2 weeks ago my family and I took a trip to Georgia for 3 weeks hitting a whole bunch of backroads through AZ, NM, TX, LA, MS, and AL.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:29 AM
Sarahs85Bronco
Senior User
How fun is that? I cant wait till i can take my truck down the hill lol the last owner didnt take care of it much.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:45 AM
73f350sc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Sarahs85Bronco
Slash X where is that and more details? Like you ride to get there not actually there? I am new to this stuff in cali. I used to 4x4 all the time when i lived in az here is a whole new ballgame with all the damn signs everywhere "no tresspasing" being that i have kids i have to actually read them! GRRR damn responsibility. ANYWAYS!
Horray for a thread revival...lol I was actually thinkin about goin out there I had a blast last time I went..
Slash X and stoddard,
I was out there not too long ago..its in Barstow..great place for a run...free camping and lots of trails to run. Its BLM land and its pretty free goin..popular place for dirtbikes quads and sand rails. You can camp close to the cafe and then take the whole gang out for the day and come get a bite when you want. If you google map or mapquest Stoddard wells..its should show you right where its at. If your in the high desert its kinda next door to you.
-Chris
PS.. We need something to do....a meet perhaps ..lol HINT lol

Last edited by 73f350sc; 01-09-2007 at 02:49 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:52 AM
fun_suv
Senior User
I was out at Stoddard back in October for the DAMZL breast cancer race. I went up on that hill above the entrance and almost flipped my Expedition. I got stuck on a rock formation and took 2 hours to pile rocks up under my tires and get down. Im never going up that hill again. The rest of Stoddard, im game for.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:00 AM
73f350sc
Posting Guru
Yeah I know the hill..lol,
They have some pretty wicked stuff in some places like over by the other entrance..the one by the freeway. I got to ride along on some of it and it got pretty narrow up near the top haha..easy climb though I was in a 2wd ranger and it managed to do it.
-Chris

Old 01-09-2007, 03:06 AM
Sarahs85Bronco
Senior User
Talking Lets Do It!!

Lets do it for real. lets meet there at the slash thingy. We gots to do the whole thing though..you know fam and bon fire and such..has to be a weekend tho i mean like duh. I cant on feb 10 weekend my daughters 5th b day OMG she is soooo big now. anyways lol. we gotsta do it!!!!

Old 01-09-2007, 03:21 AM
73f350sc
Posting Guru
Yeah its a great experience if you can get some folks to go with ya...dont know about the bon fire tho..this being Cal...they dont like fire much..you can usually have them but it kinda depends on conditions.
-Chris

Old 01-09-2007, 03:27 AM
Sarahs85Bronco
Senior User
You wouldnt want to try to get this an official meet? I can give up the fire... its just REEEAALLLY cold right now! I paintball too...just started got a marker for x mas it hurts but is soooo fun..

Old 01-09-2007, 03:33 AM
73f350sc
Posting Guru
Oh no..I would love to make this a meet..seriously..we can make it a meet.. just need more people..more fun..that whole thing.
-Chris

Old 01-09-2007, 06:01 AM
fun_suv
Senior User
Im there, ive been waiting for something like this for months! Id prefer winter also, just bring a jacket. The cold will be better for the trucks and we wont be sitting out in the blazing sun.

Quick Reply: run around cajon pass/high desert?