Sponsored by: DP Tuner

PSD + Trailer = CDL in Texas: T or F

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 08:20 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PSD + Trailer = CDL in Texas: T or F

I was just told by a friend that a new law was coming soon in Texas that would require a commercial driver's license for anyone with over 10,000 lbs weight truck and trailer. That means that an 8000 lb truck could only pull 2000 lbs with a regular license. Anyone heard of this? I sure don't want to fool with a log book and all the other crap that comes with a commercial license again.

Old 06-25-2006, 08:33 PM
k2vailkid
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10K lbs. GCVW is far from commercial weights. I would hope not. In Colorado, I would have to strap a 20K lb. trailer to my 8K lb. truck before a CDL becomes law. And I would venture to say the grades in the Rocky Mtns. are a bit steeper than Texas. Again, I hope that is the case there.....

Old 06-25-2006, 08:45 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This info came from a friend who is more informed on the subject than me. I told him that it was hard to believe since my truck weighs in around 7800 lbs. and I would not hardly be able to tow anything without a cdl. Thought I'd throw this out and see if anyone else had heard of this.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:28 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
It is my understanding that the FEDS control the CDL law. A state cannot pass a law that changes the requirements for a CDL. As long as you are private (no signs or banners on your truck doors or trailer "Smith Quarter Horses Randy's Drag Shop ect), the DOT has no jurisdiction over you. In some states they can stop you for speeding (not in WV, I blow by them at 80+ all the time), burned out lights, reckless endangerment or some other major violation. They cannot weigh you. If your trailer looks normal, and you are driving normally, they have no reasonable suspicion to stop you. Now the State Police is different. They can stop you for anything, but being private, usually stops them from weighing you unless your bumpers are dragging. Their usual recouse is to stop you and call a tow truck. You are left standing.

I got stopped by a Local Barney for the most unusual violation. Well, I stopped. I knew he was out of his jurisdiction. The "Local" said he was stopping me as my license plate light was burned out. It was daylight, my lights were off. Hell, he couldn't even see the plate. I was hauling 14 foot long lumber oak lumber almost level to the bed top. About 2K of weight. The butt was sagging so bad that the lumber was about 18 inches off the road. It had bent that much. It was actually lower than the hitch. I just drove off and called Sheriff on the cell. I left him standing there with his mouth hanging open. He followed me home and a few moments later a Deputy arrived.

Needless to say, the "Local" left red faced.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:53 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
i havent heard anything about that, but it seems like it would be something impossible for them to impose.

Old 06-25-2006, 10:43 PM
Chance_Thomas
More Turbo
I never heared of this.

Old 06-25-2006, 10:51 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
WV DOT can stop any vehicle suspected of being over weight and weigh that vehicle. The registration of that vehicle has a weight listed on it. That weight includes that vehicle and any cargo, passengers or trailors. A trailor registration has no weight listed on it. The weight of the trailor is combined with the weight of the vehicle pulling it for a gross combined vehicle weight rating. If that weight is over what is listed on your registration you will be fined.
Also if you are pulling a trailor with a capacity of 10k lbs or you must have Class A . Combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,0001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the unit being towed is 10,001 pounds or greater.
This is directly from The WV DMV website. Yes I've seen them stop pickups and for that reason I've put B plates on mine with a 20k lb weight rating. I have a class A CDL so I've got no other concerns.

Old 06-25-2006, 10:53 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
One thing I forgot was a motorhome is exempt from this. I would say these laws are the same state for state. The weight limits are set by the feds.

Last edited by mech2161; 06-25-2006 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:13 PM
Chance_Thomas
More Turbo
Old 06-25-2006, 11:22 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
Class E is what I was trying to find for WV.

Old 06-26-2006, 01:36 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You gotta love weight laws, heck my truck is registered at 3 ton, which used to be standard for Iowa to register all personal pickups at that, so legally I am overwieght totally unloaded. They have since changed and any new pickup registration is now 4 tons but they aren't making people that have the old registrations change.
Mech is right though 10k lbs towed unit and class A combination is required, exception is motorhomes only which I personally feel needs changed, these retired people that can afford it go out and buy a big diesel pusher 40+ft motor home with air brakes and don't have to have a cdl, they have no idea how to drive it, and are pretty dangerous.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:56 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
You gotta love weight laws, heck my truck is registered at 3 ton, which used to be standard for Iowa to register all personal pickups at that, so legally I am overwieght totally unloaded. They have since changed and any new pickup registration is now 4 tons but they aren't making people that have the old registrations change.
Mech is right though 10k lbs towed unit and class A combination is required, exception is motorhomes only which I personally feel needs changed, these retired people that can afford it go out and buy a big diesel pusher 40+ft motor home with air brakes and don't have to have a cdl, they have no idea how to drive it, and are pretty dangerous.
I second that...not too long ago had an old guy here in Colo driving up I-25 in a big Bounder motorhome....put the thing on cruise control and then went in the back to make himself a sandwich. Needless to say it caused quite a crash, although I don't think anyone died....

Old 06-26-2006, 09:05 AM
BuickTurbo
Elder User
I got one. I tow a 26' Gooseneck.

As long as your COMBINATION is less than 26K GVWR then you may operate with the class C.

You can get pulled over if the DOT suspects something, i.e. large piece of equipment on a SWSA trailer. They will weigh you and check weight ratings. I see the landscaping guys getting pulled over all the time. Usually they have a bunch of lawn equipment and a skid steer on load.

My trailer is rated at 21K, so I am easily over 26K with the truck.
You can download the CDL requirements from TXDot.

If you have any more ?'s feel free to PM me.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Anything over 26k GVCW is the number. As for being stopped, in Tennessee, a State Trooper can pull you over anytime just to check your license. I would not recommend driving off as the charges will really begin to pile up and a stay at the local hotel becomes very likely.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:44 AM
mech2161
Posting Guru
Is the C designation not for hire as the E is in WV? Also I thought the GCVWR on a 350 was 22,5. Not sure how the hot shot drivers get away with it. One thing to remember, You do not have to haul anything to be over your vehicle registration. They go by what it is rated for. If your trailor is rated for 21k and the door sticker says 8800 as mine does you would need a registration for at least 29,8. Remember too that a trailor rated for 10k or more requires the special license, no matter what. Under 10k, such as the trailor I have (9990) needs only a regular license.

Quick Reply: PSD + Trailer = CDL in Texas: T or F