broke dip stick tube

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 09:46 PM
robottommy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question broke dip stick tube

Ok, stop giggling.....

I broke my dip stick tube off while working on replacing the broken exhaust stud bolts. I was to put on a set of shorty headers, but that's another story. I had to remove it, to get the driver's side in. Any way, I have about a three inch section left in the block. I know it's a press fit with an "O" ring back up to seal. I tried every thing short of blow torch. I tried easy outs, coat hanger with a j bent in one end. Which by the way would just straighten out the J, and I tried bunch of times. So, I couldn't find any thing about the removal of the broken section. I want to know, can it just be drove into the pan, and fished out the bottom, through the oil drain plug hole? Also, as a list dish effort, I took it to the dealer. They "tried", and then said the engine has to come out, $1400.00 worth of come out.....
Before I resort to the engine removal, I want to see if any one else known of a better way, or could the broken end be drove into the pan, and fished out the oil drain plug hole. I know that the tube size will fit it was ok, to drive into the pan. I guess the biggest thing is, I am just wondering about the windage trays. <OThanks
TJ<O></O>

Old 06-23-2006, 05:47 AM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No one is giggling or laughing ! especially when I had to remove a engine in my motorhome a few yrs back just to drill out the broken exhaust studs.
What engine ? and yr truck .
is it broken off flush or do you have any thing sticking out to grab ahold of.
soak the area with pb blaster (you will need to change your oil before starting )
A little heat might work also
Rich

Old 06-23-2006, 07:35 AM
robottommy
Freshman User
FortyFords,
When I said stop giggling, I meant, stop because I said dip stick..... OK kiddy humor aside. My truck is 1999 F-250 with 6.8L and the tube is broken off flush. Like I said, I tried just about everything I could think of….. I even tried the PB blaster…. But, maybe it has little more time to soak in…. Might give it another try again this weekend. But, also, it was soaked with I went through three cans of PB blaster, to make sure the exhaust studs and nuts could be removed.
Thanks
tj

Old 06-23-2006, 06:53 PM
captchas
if you can get a slide hammer at it? how about threading a bolt into the tube with a threaded adpater made up to the hammer and try to lift it out by poping the hammer.you would have to thread the tube first, i don't know about enough room to get it down there but just a brain fart,here.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:13 PM
captchas
no way to pop it into the pan as it has a lip on it above the oring might be best to pull the oil pan and knock it out from under the truck.
the shop manual is no help either shows the ridge and oring from ther top, plus the section is to big to upload for you to see.
send me a email and i'll send you what i have in a pdf

Old 06-24-2006, 12:53 AM
robottommy
Freshman User
Captchas
The side hammer is out for time being. The exhaust manifold and the oil cooler/oilfilter assembly is in the way. The tube is broken off flush, so there is no ridge. That's one of the reason, I was using a coat hanger bent with a "j", trying to pop it out. But, the "j" would just bend straight. The oil cooler/oilfilter assembly is built into the motor mount. So, the remove pan is starting to look like the way to go. But, can the pan be removed with the engine still in the truck? Or, does any one have an idea if the tube could be pushed into the pan with out making me remove the engine any way?
There was guy who had pictures of the motor from the inside, but it didn't show the oil dip stick tube to clearly. Plus, it was posted back in 2005. I will send you an e-mail, to get the PDF from you.
Thanks.
tj

Old 06-25-2006, 05:25 PM
captchas
Wink ask and you receive

after you emailed me i sent you the sheets from the ford shop manual for the dip stick, oil pan removal from a stick and auto trans plus the sheets on removeing the oil cooler and filter adapter. if you need any more send me a email as to what.
for all the v10 men i have the the manual to 06 all in pdf. need it email and ask. i'll try my best to help out. some sections are big so it may have to go in a few mailings

Old 06-25-2006, 10:09 PM
robottommy
Freshman User
Captchas,
I had to work late again.... But, thanks for the e-mail. I will look them over. Any thoughts, can I push the broken tube into the pan, and pull it out the oil drain hole?
Well, go to go to sleep..... It's been a long day.
Thanks again.
Tj

Old 09-10-2011, 08:46 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep i am bringing this thread back from the dead, maybe a zombie hunt will happen... and no i am not a zombie yet...

Anyways i am in this same predicament , my tube is broke off flush..and this sucks... so i guess dropping the pan is the way to go...so just how involved is this ? My truck is a 02 4x4 , can i just loosen up the motor mounts raise the engine , maybe drop the exhaust if needed to get the oil pan out ? Also do they use gaskets or sealant on the pan ?

Old 09-11-2011, 05:02 AM
captchas
sadly man i can't help this time round. i no longer have any of my shop manuals or shop computer that held the down loaded manuals. thanks to the storms irene and lee.

my shop got totalily flooded and wiped out. with over 3 feet of mud inside just from lee dumping 15.5 inches or rain making the river over flow big time.never mind this was right after irene dumped 13 inches of rain going by the airports rain gauge.

we lost every thing includeing my 1920's and 30's vintage cars, 4 very vintage 1974 to 76 kawasakis. a h1-500, h2 -750, z1-900 and a kz1000, and my 61 harley, 4 customer cars ,tools.welders, plasma cutter. our big code testers. you can name it we most likly lost it.

at the airport here this is what it looked like,mine was in the front tie down line.

Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2011, 05:41 AM
BareBones
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
So sorry captchas. The world at times can be insane....

Old 09-17-2011, 08:10 AM
captchas
we in nj,ny,vt took a major beating from those storms,we are still suffering washed out roads here and major detours here in nw nj but a great up side for me is my 2010 jabiru only needed new wheel bearing and a faa full check out to being back to airborn. my hand tools all cleaned and useable. everything else save the lost computer files can be replaced
my shop is no more but a new location not far off in a higher much drier area far away from any type of water.