General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.
View Poll Results: Under age smoking. What is your opinion
Im under age and do it
2.82%
Im under age and against it
9.86%
Adult: against
50.70%
Adult: its there lives.
36.62%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Under age smoking (poll)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 11:51 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,597 Likes on 1,302 Posts
Regarding the "what's next, driving, being fat.." etc. OK, smokeless tobacco would be next, illegal drugs, then maybe alcohol. Driving, in and of itself, does no harm. Being fat probably is safer than smoking, and sometimes it's willful and sometimes it isn't.

The fact is you have to be just about as dumb as a post to START smoking in this day and age. There is no question it's bad. There is no "pro smoking" side.

It is WILLFUL MISCONDUCT, and as such, should (IMO) lead to forfeiture of benefits.

I understand the reluctance to apply such harsh remedies, and the "live/let live" sentiments. But (imo) sometimes you just have to hammer down on things, and smoking is a good place to start. We make excuses for everything these days, and many are always seeking to let people off the hook for everything from child abuse (which smoking in the same house/car with kids is) to murder.

Like I said, smoke on, numbskulls. Just don't come to me with your hand out when you need a bypass or lung transplant, and don't get in line ahead of me at the doctor.

Old 06-03-2006, 11:55 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like Big Daddy duece is on a Roll

Old 06-03-2006, 12:04 PM
A_G
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdaddyII
I am a (legal) smoker who started very young. I dont give a rats houdini at what age kids start smoking at, as long as its not my kids.

By the way:

That interesting cause only a week or two ago you absolutely hated smoke as stated in your previous thread:

Not trying to bust your chops but maybe you should try to remember what you posted before and keep your story consistant
I used to dip. Ive been dipping since a very young age. Since the first time i got caught smoking. Its much easier to smoke then dip. (i have braces) So i just started smoking.

I still get a nicotine high. Its a legal high.

Oh yea...bigd2 I believe i was still banned 2 weeks ago. Let me go back and check.

Last edited by A_G; 06-03-2006 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Birdhunter1
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
The post he was referring to was on 05/23/06 about you getting suspended from school for having a pocket knife in your truck toolbox and a whole bunch of other stuff and you said you hated smoking etc etc etc......

Old 06-03-2006, 03:08 PM
A_G
Posting Guru
thats what i told the principals tho. io was still dipping at the time. But the little lady doenst like it when i dip....

Old 06-03-2006, 03:20 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Dang- I wish I had something intelligent to add to this. I smoke- it's a terrible habit, and a tough one to break. I recently found out my son smokes occasionally, which was a bit of a shock (no, he's not underage). I suspect I know why too (that blond under his arm might have something to do with it grrls aren't fond of dip).

Hmmmm......

Old 06-03-2006, 04:22 PM
petes79f150
Posting Guru
Yes, I smoke. I tried quitting, but I gained 40 pounds which was hard on my knees. Got one knee replaced, lost 20 pounds, and now I only smoke half as much. Gotta get the other knee fixed so I can quit smoking.

Old 06-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Dungeon_Master
Posting Guru
I quit smoking for 10 years. I had a extreamly bad evenful week 4 years ago and started back up. I am working on stopping again. It's a choice either smoking or gas in the Fords. I choose our Fords.

Old 06-04-2006, 12:20 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,597 Likes on 1,302 Posts
So from what I gather from the last few posts, someone is just looking for attention....

Perhaps I was too harsh on posts in an earlier comment.

Old 06-04-2006, 04:32 AM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Originally Posted by A_G
I used to dip. Ive been dipping since a very young age. Since the first time i got caught smoking. Its much easier to smoke then dip. (i have braces) So i just started smoking.

I still get a nicotine high. Its a legal high.

Oh yea...bigd2 I believe i was still banned 2 weeks ago. Let me go back and check.
Well to go from totally hating smoke to turn to smoking "for your woman" is kind of drastic. For everyone who mentions a smokers drain on the gubbiment, I have insurance, and when my time comes for a bypass or iron lung, if some kind of healthcare assistance is needed, I have paid my fair share plus more of taxes to take care of people to damn lazy to work, their healthcare, rent, food and yes their smokes as well. Not to mention taxes I pay out the *** on my cigarettes. If I was living on welfare and smoking up everyone elses tax money, than I might take that a little more lightly, but I work my tail off, pay my share of tax money, and my smoking is in no way taking food off of my table or causing any of my relatives to be a drain on society. And I am sure the case is the same with most people on this forum who smoke. I am sorry if I offended anyone, I am just so tired of people crying like its a dang gone nursery around here about people who smoke draining everyone elses tax money and being a drain on society. If you are one of those people who was moaning and bitching about it and this post pissed you off.......GOOD.

{bigdaddyII steps off of his soapbox in preparation to go to bed after a severe bout of sleep deprivation}

Last edited by bigdaddyII; 06-04-2006 at 04:57 AM.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Red Star
Posting Guru
Where I'm originally from there are no smoking or drinking age. I'm not saying that's ok, but more freedom to us.

Old 06-04-2006, 11:08 AM
big hoss 29
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to agree with bigdaddyII on this. Now I don't smoke and I can't stand to be at my parents house when they smoke, but till the day I die I'll defend their right to smoke. That's why we have these things called freedoms and why we have personal accountability. Everybody is so ready to look past the point that even though smoking is bad for you and it wrecks your health, despite the anti-smoking commercials and testimonials from cancer patients, people will still choose to smoke because they want to, whether you like it or not. And who appointed non-smokers the guardian angels and protectors of smokers? Why does everyone think that they know whats good for everyone else? I don't even try to pretend to know what's good for anyone but myself, and I don't preach to anyone to do what I do because it works for me, and I won't stand for anyone telling me how to live my life.

By the way, when was the last time you've seen as much effort put into the war on illegal drugs as compared to legal cigarettes? There's much bigger problems in the world than smoking. Just my $.02

Old 06-04-2006, 01:46 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,740 Likes on 1,330 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg 79 f150
I dont think about teens smoking, but I DO wonder WHY they started smoking. With all the no smoking bans, health care ads, it is not like young people today do not know cigarettes are a harmful substance that is SO addictive . The question I would like to see answered is why do they start smoking ?
Why do they start smoking? Well...that was answered in the very first post! Smoking eases stress, makes you more calm, and is very relaxing after a hard days work. They (kids) probably started because of the pressures of High School. Popularity, new trends, teasing, harder classes, homework, projects, research papers, ect....

I started smoking when I was 14 (now 19). I'd like to see the smoking age done away with. Educate the kids, and let them decide. After all...it is a "free country." I dont need some dumb*** sitting in congress to tell me what is best for me!

Old 06-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Why do they start smoking? Well...that was answered in the very first post! Smoking eases stress, makes you more calm, and is very relaxing after a hard days work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So does Yoga

Old 06-04-2006, 04:59 PM
magee
Elder User
Amen, Big Hoss!

Quick Reply: Under age smoking (poll)