N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Everybody have the long weekend planned out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 12:20 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everybody have the long weekend planned out?

We were going to hook up the camp trailer and go to Tahoe, but the weekend forecast showed highs in the low 60's, and low's in the 20's and 30's and rain on Saturday. Not my idea of fun to live in a 16foot tralier with the wife and 3 kids

So, we opted for the Holiday Inn by Knotts Berry farm for the weekend...

highs in the 70's and a heated pool.

Figure to head out early on Saturday morning, let the kids play in the pool the rest of the day, do the Farm on Sunday, hit some sights on Monday (maybe the wax museums, or the like....might go further South if Leggo land is open) then head home.

Neat thing is the kids (11, 9 and 4) think we're still going to Tahoe. I think I'll be able to convince them that the Grapevine is Donner Pass

Old 05-26-2006, 01:39 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like to stay home on holiday weekends. I usually see lots of SUVs on the freeways stuffed with dissapointed kids who didn't get to go to Tahoe. I can't stand the look of dispair on their faces as they squish their little noses up against the windows. Often times I have seen makeshift signs pleading with passing drivers for a lift to Tahoe; all to no avail. No, my heart just can't take it! Have fun in Buena Park, Jag

Old 05-26-2006, 05:05 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Flowers for Me

Not me! I am doing a preemptive strike -- Liz is in her yard mother mode. I spent the day trucking in top soil, and building redwood flower boxes. Tomorrow early I am off to the home store to buy all sorts of colorful ground cover flowers -- time she gets to moving around we will have twice the flowerbeds we had last year - - -

Otherwise I will wake up one morning to find she has converted all my treasured yard art to flower pots, and my 59 will look like an old-world flower vender's cart!

Old 05-26-2006, 07:31 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh Clint, you'd better sleep with one eye open.

3mike6, I live pretty close to Tahoe so it aint no big deal for me. I'll probably just start a small warming fire in the fireplace Saturday morning and drink a few beers in my living room. Now Sunday and Monday are supposed to be nice so I'll get my fill of fun in the sun then.
For you though, I guess 3 kids in a 16 foot trailor would be a little tough, even for just one day in the rain. Have fun in the Southland. Make sure to take the kids to the beach for a little salt water dip.

Old 05-26-2006, 08:33 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Too funny. Probably won't do the beach, the HI has a heated pool, and I think that KBF is opening "Splash City" on Monday, so we may just hang out another day there and take a late checkout from the Hotel to get dried off before heading home.

I really did want to stay around the house though and get things done, even Honey Do stuff, since the weather is going to be so nice, but the Power That Is said we need to be very far away from home this weekend.

Old 05-27-2006, 12:13 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
I have a brother that lives in the neighborhood of KBF. Just a few blocks away as a matter of fact.
Have fun. You can always make up for the honey do list next weekend. Summer is just beginning.
Yeeeee Freeeckin Haaaaw! It'sabout time eh?

Old 05-27-2006, 06:10 PM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

I like to hang around the house on holidays too. I am working on Monday and they give us a day off at a later date of our choice. I like to take off when everyone else is in school and working.

Spent Saturday under the hood of my 65 F100. Changed oil, new support arm bushings, new shocks and rotated the tires, what a day..Oh yeah than had to adjust and bleed brakes. I love that old truck...

Working on the garden Sunday and than relax before work on Monday. Monday will be a day of getting caught up because there will not be any vendors or contractors bugging me all day.

jd

Old 05-27-2006, 10:42 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Well, I spent Saturday finishing up on some electrical wiring and wood trim on my home remodel. It snowed off and on so I had the wood stove burning most all day, and tossed down a couple of beers while working on the house.
I picked up some parts for my old 74 Highboy on the way home from work this morning but it was too cold to work outside. Hopefully tomorrow will be warm and I can have an excuse to get out of the house and wrench on the old truck. I'd really like to get her runnin and try out the new mods I made during the last week.

Happy Memorial Day! Have fun, but remember those who fought for our country, and those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.

Old 05-28-2006, 08:25 AM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

So true Tim.

How can we not foget the men and women who give us our daily freedom.

Salute..

Jon

Old 05-30-2006, 12:03 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Agreed, agreed. But Memorial has becom a a day to honor all those who have given for the US.

I might be wrong, but if I recall my 5th grade History class (Mr. Weed...how do I recall these things?) memorial day was originally concieved to honor those who fought and died in the Civil War. I recall Mr. Weed always having an issue with this...and was the first time I learned the word "oxymoron", he used Memorial Days conception as an oxymoron, took the day explaining it to the class, made us come up with examples of oxymoron's, etc., etc,.

His take was it was an oxymoron to honor the North and South killing each other.

Keep in mind this was in about 1970 or 71, the Vietnam war was in high bloom and he was in his late 20's, early 30's...could be why we all got such a dose of it.

Anyway, don't know why I brought that up, definitely don't want to start a controversy on it.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:19 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Well, the weekend was a fun one.

Actually had the kids fooled into thinking it was Tahoe...all the way to the "Knott's Berry Farm" next exit sign.

Then they started asking questions...

We spent Saturday at the Hotel in the pool, and even though the HI we stayed at was just down the street from Knotts, it was laced with Disneyland stuff...

Long story short, when my 4YO said "I wanna go to Disneyland", my other two chimed in as well...and that's where we spent Saturday...from 8:30 am until the shuttle picked us up at 11:15pm.

Geez, we didn't get to see 10% of it, kind of a whirlwind tour. I took the 4YO to Disneyland and the wife took the older two to Ca. Adventures...Two years ago I took the older ones down for 5 days, so they were rearing to go to the CA side, only made it over to the DL side once for the Matterhorn.

And one of those "Only in LA moments" we were leaving this afternoon and got about into LA just past the 110 split, I looked in the side mirror and see a freaking Formula One car bearing down on me in the fast lane.

No joke...but it wasn't a Formula one car, but a near look alike (best I could tell) or an Indy Rcaer, etc...anyway, wife fired up the digital camera, snapped some pics and then after traffic sorta got rolling again, my oldest figured out how to do the movie function on the camera and took a video of it. If I can figure out how to post it up, I'll post a link, pretty cool. The guy was decked in full race trim, including a helmet. The car had plates on it, and working brake lights too.

I'll have to review the pics/footage, but I think on the side of the car said "www.streetlegalracing.com".

Hope ya'll had as good a one as we did. Actually said "Hi Clint" as we drove through Madera today.

Last edited by 3Mike6; 05-30-2006 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:29 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Was that you? Wondered who was yelling at me now!

Old 05-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like a lot of people had more fun than me. My best time was Saturday. We went and bought one of those fold-up canapies. Pretty cool. It's 10x10 and should work great at car shows if I can find any lawn to put it on.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:32 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54
It sounds like a lot of people had more fun than me. My best time was Saturday. We went and bought one of those fold-up canapies. Pretty cool. It's 10x10 and should work great at car shows if I can find any lawn to put it on.
That canopy'll come in handy when we have a Chapter function/meet. You know, an out door one. Twould be a good place to keep the drink cooler and my chair.
I'm back at work now .... Oh well. It was a good extended weekend. But man, I'm still feeling it. Think I'll turn in early tonight.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:30 AM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
I drove hundreds of miles to San Diego to play paint ball battle, sky dive, cruise around in a rented shuttle bus party machine complete with disco ball, bar, and brass pole for the chicks. Oh yeah, and blow out a fuel line on top of my powerstroke at 90 mph over 400 miles from home. Pretty eventful weekend.

Quick Reply: Everybody have the long weekend planned out?