Aerostar Ford Aerostar

please help, Ive been wondering for a while.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 12:54 AM
-Thizzin-
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please help, Ive been wondering for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WuXeLp-3no <<---- Direct link to vidio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kWMkRMkm78 <<----- vidio of the battery needle ''spikeing" on dash.

Click the link, then you will know what I am talking about. My van has been doing this for a while now, and I want to get it fixed so I can sell it. It's a 1992 Ford aerostar, with close to 300, 000K. Every morning when I start my van it has "power serges" it revs up and down like that for like 5 mins then it will idol at normal. If I try to drive before it goes normal, it stals. If anyone has any ideas I would like it if you could help me out.

Thnx Alot!

Edit: I tryed posting this before but I dont think it worked

Old 05-17-2006, 01:34 AM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thizzin,
welcome to FTE Aero

pull engine computer (ECU) codes...search Aero forum for directions...read the KOEO, KOER codes and cylinder balance test results
post codes to this forum

may be a failed engine coolant temp. ECT sensor or connector/wiring but will not know for certain until codes pulled...guessing and throwing parts at symtoms only makes the parts corporations richer

Old 05-17-2006, 10:01 AM
copper_90680
Postmaster
It's your Idle Air Control Valve (IAC), a cylindrical looking thingy with an electrical pigtail. It's on the throttle body, near the front.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:17 PM
-Thizzin-
New User
Originally Posted by copper_90680
It's your Idle Air Control Valve (IAC), a cylindrical looking thingy with an electrical pigtail. It's on the throttle body, near the front.
Thnx, could you get a picture of it? Or explane how exsactly how to fix this? How much would it cost do you think? Thnx agin!

Old 05-17-2006, 05:25 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remove it, it's held on with a couple of those Torx bolts with the holes in the middle, and clean it with throttle body cleaner. Put it back on and the idle should smooth out.

RP
Zach

Old 05-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by -Thizzin-
Thnx, could you get a picture of it? Or explane how exsactly how to fix this? How much would it cost do you think? Thnx agin!
Autozone or O'reilly's or a similar parts shop would be the cheapest. These
fail so often I wouldn't trust one from a salvage yard. If you buy one and then look under your hood you can see where it belongs. A couple of screws and unhook the wiring harness. I haven't bought one lately, but they're probably $40-60.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Aeromac121
Senior User
I think this is the Idle Air Control Valve.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:45 PM
-Thizzin-
New User
Originally Posted by Aeromac121
I think this is the Idle Air Control Valve.
Ok, yeah that what i thought it was.. SO dont bother cleaning it? Just buy a new one? Also Id hate to go out and spend to buy one and it not fix the problem, you know what i mean?

Old 05-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by -Thizzin-
Ok, yeah that what i thought it was.. SO dont bother cleaning it? Just buy a new one? Also Id hate to go out and spend to buy one and it not fix the problem, you know what i mean?

Since you are trying to sell the van......try to clean it. A shot of carb cleaner or similar product might clean it to make it work okay, but it's only a 50/50 shot. This doesn't work all the time, so be prepared to purchase one.

Old 05-17-2006, 06:25 PM
-Thizzin-
New User
**Ok, so I took it off..**

**What part do I clean? the part I am holding or the the place it came off of? If so, do I just pour the cleaner in? I dont quite understand how I would clean the spot where the part came off of..... **

Name:  Part1.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  part2.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  31.9 KB

Old 05-17-2006, 06:43 PM
copper_90680
Postmaster
You spray the two holes on the part you are holding in your hand.

The only way to be sure if it's an IAC problem is to read the code from your computer. However, based on what I saw, I'm quite certain it's the IAC. Spray it well and put it back in to see if there is any change.

Old 05-17-2006, 07:57 PM
-Thizzin-
New User
Thnx, I Appreciate all the help. I did spray that part really good, it looks like its as clean as it could get. But the problem is still there(I think it helped a bit tho), are there any other ideas before I accually replace that part..? I checked, it will cost me 97$ for the part

Old 05-17-2006, 08:39 PM
-Thizzin-
New User
I ended up takeing the whole airintake apart, is there anything elts I should clean? Please put any ideas you have to get this fixed.. Thnx!

Old 05-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Aeromac121
Senior User
I'm not sure if this would prove anything or not but you could try unplugging the wires from the Idle Air Control Valve and then start the van and see what happens. I'm not a mechanic so I don't know if this could potentially damage your van or not. Just before posting this I tried it myself on my 93 aero 3.0. It started and ran at a much slower idle with minor fluctuations in RPM. I wouldn’t run it like this for more than 20 seconds or so. Just long enough to observe the effects. Also like some other people said, you might want to see of there are stored trouble codes in your vans computer. here is a link to a thread on this forum that explains how to do it:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...86&postcount=3

You basically connect 2 things together and then get in the van, turn the key to the run position and count the number of times the check engine light flashes. Once you count the flashes look up that number to see what the code means.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Aeromac121
Senior User
I'm not sure if this would prove anything or not but you could try unplugging the wires from the Idle Air Control Valve and then start the van and see what happens. I'm not a mechanic so I don't know if this could potentially damage your van or not. Just before posting this I tried it myself on my 93 aero 3.0. It started and ran at a much slower idle with minor fluctuations in RPM. I wouldn’t run it like this for more than 20 seconds or so. Just long enough to observe the effects. Also like some other people said, you might want to see of there are stored trouble codes in your vans computer. here is a link to a thread on this forum that explains how to do it:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...86&postcount=3

You basically connect 2 things together and then get in the van, turn the key to the run position and count the number of times the check engine light flashes. Once you count the flashes look up that number to see what the code means. I would post a link to a page that has the codes and their meanings but I just tried that and the forum ate my post. Just do a google search for:
EEC-IV trouble codes
Then click on the first link in the search results.

Quick Reply: please help, Ive been wondering for a while.