N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

somebody got a deal

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 06:22 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
somebody got a deal

check out ebay Item number: 8060957759 - a truck for $1.75. I was going to bid, but I already have a yard full of junk.

http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29400-...emdescription1

Old 05-06-2006, 02:14 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Dang, that thing looks clean! I'd a' bought it for parts if'n I'd known...

But I know what you mean about a yard full of...well, stuff, anyway. It ain't junk to me, although others may not see it through my eyes. Going over tomorrow to work on my new motorhome and try to get it fired up to bring home and add to the collection. It's another Ford, at least.

Old 05-06-2006, 02:27 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
I elected to go with a much smaller travel trailer - only 12 feet, but it is self contained and a smaller truck can pull it. I have a hi-top van I could use, but it is not self contained and drinks the gas. I would have liked a bigger motor home on a ford chassis, but the cost of fuel would have restricted my traveling.

Going smaller means I can stay out 6 or 8 weeks at a time, which is what I want to do. Still, I envy you - what size motor home did you get?

Old 05-06-2006, 02:42 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
It's a small one, a class C on a '70 E300 with a 302. I don't plan to go far, just to Grass Valley for a bluegrass festival now and then, maybe up to Lake Pillsbury...

I'll post a pic.

(Warning: it's...sort of, well, unattractive right now, been sitting a few years!)

ON EDIT:

Okay, here it is:

http://image42.webshots.com/42/1/72/...3FaNeLD_ph.jpg

The best thing was the price...free for hauling it off!

Last edited by TigerDan; 05-06-2006 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:24 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
looks good to me - the nice part of a fiberglass body is that it does not rot if no one takes care of it for a few years.

If it is like my fiberglass trailer, the jell coat has lots of fine cracks and stress lines. Maybe we could work together and figure out how to refinish jell coats - or is it gel coats?

Old 05-06-2006, 11:01 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Yeah, it's Gel.

I don't know for sure what it looks like underneath the protective coating of moss and...I don't know, oak barnacles(?) that cover it. It's been sitting in the shade of oak trees for years so there's not much sun damage, and what I can see looks to be in decent shape although probably stained. I'll break out the pressure washer when I get it home.

I don't know if there's anything you can do to save a cracked gel-coat, most people just paint them. But the fact that there's so little wood to rot is what I really like about the thing.

The interior is where I'm going to have to do some work, one of the vents is gone and let the rain in so the seat cushions are shot, and a little (but not much, oddly enough) of the paneling needs to be replaced. I'll know more when I get it cleaned out.

Old 05-06-2006, 12:15 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Yea, well, I will paint it to match my 59, if and when I get the 59 on the road. Pulling it with my jeep I am getting 15 or 16 MPG.

Everybody tells me it is so ugly it is cute, but then they say the same thing about me! It is big enough for one person to enjoy.

Attached Images  

Last edited by WillyB; 05-06-2006 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:01 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
I always wanted a Scamp, the one that looks like that but is about half the size so I could tow it behind a small car or truck. But that one looks like a nice size too.

I just got rid of a Cherokee about like that one. Guy wanted me to do an engine swap basically for free, then abondoned the thing on my boss's property at work, had to pay the wrecking yard to take it. Too bad, it was pretty clean but I didn't have time to do anything with it and was getting pressure from all sides to get rid of it.

Old 05-06-2006, 09:49 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Too bad about the Cherokee - I would like the seats out of one for my 59. I bought my Cherokee to pull the trailer. Not the best trade I ever made (bought it at an auction and didn't see some things about it) but it does pull the trailer fine. Last summer I spent several weeks tracing the Oregon trail with that outfit. I took it to Tucson this spring to help chop a '56.

I too wanted a Scamp, but I looked for more than a year without finding anything reasonable. As it was, I had to go to Denver to get this one. It was a competitor to the Scamp - the same size as their self contained one. It is light - which is another way of saying flimsy, but good enough for me.