0.70 cents a gallon to run your Diesel ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 08:58 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
[QUOTE=leskwvo]
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Stroke'npower: DSE is nothing but snake oil! Don't use it! Pure junk...............

Well said. I was trying to be more deplomatic
I'm just trying to save him some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

FABMAN.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:04 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
StrokeNPower
Listen to Fab he is the acknowledged expert here. Then go back to that forum and ask them for proof that BD is dangerous, when I say proof I mean good solid factual proof not hearsay, anecdotal evidence, or "I believe that....".

They will have a very tough time substantiating their assertion with out resorting to the above. One of the more common claims is that BD wil destroy O-rings and seals, that is not true for virtually all trucks made after 1995

Old 05-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Stroke'NPower
Freshman User
So using Kerosene, and unleaded gas as a thinning agent is a bad idea?
What should be used to thin the oil so I don't burn out the fuel pump?
Is there a heating unit for the fuel tank that can be pluged in over night, and be powered with the engin is running, to keep th WVO as a non-clogging temp?
Please help fule is at $3 and sometimes up to $3.10 a gallon here.
The one bio-diesel station here, 20 miles from my home is charging $2.60 per gallon.
NOT going to go that way it will cost more in the long run to go get it for little to no savings. I am going to make my own, just need to right information so I dont have to go buy a new truck when I blow mine up......little extream but you get my meaning.

Old 05-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
If you are going to make Bio you don't need any mods to your truck but you will need to assemble the apparatus to make it.

If you want to run WVO you need to add one of Leskwvo's kits and follow the startup shutdown protocol faithfully.

There are pros and cons to either method

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 05-01-2006 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:49 PM
leskwvo
Senior User
Stroke

Don't rush into anything. Running WVO is easy if done right. Making Bio is also easy if done right. The getting it right is the part that you need to learn.

There is no magic pill that will let you do this overnight, if there were everyone would be doing it.

First decide what you want to do. Run WVO, make Bio or both. Then learn all you can by reading. I have a basic article on my site it's posted here on FTE as well, about running WVO. Real high level but gives the basic ideas. Article.

If your going to make Bio nothing has to be done to the truck. You'll spend less then $500 to get yourself all setup with a processor.

Old 05-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Stroke'NPower
Freshman User
got it all i think, ready to go get the WVO

I have made the system using the instruction from DSE, I konw DSE is just a ruse as a product but the pumps and the filters are the same as I have read on the fourm here. I need to know if add unleaded gas as a thinner is the way to go or will damage my engin?

Old 05-01-2006, 05:05 PM
AlfredB1979
Posting Guru
If I remember my research project from last semester on alternative fuels (I did the biodiesel part), B100 is only "harmful" if run in colder weather since it will sludge up.

Get around that and you are in good shape.

Maybe you get the warranty voided running that stuff (oh well), but 78% less emissions particulates and the eventual costs savings > a few minor (if that) issues from use of BD.

Last edited by AlfredB1979; 05-01-2006 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:28 PM
condolan
Senior User
Not that a diesel engine can be "poisoned", but I read somewhere that Biodiesel was less toxic than table salt and lubricates the engine better.

I've also heard that a slight performance increase is not uncommon by its use.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Dave7.3
Elder User
I could not re-locate the forum that information was posted on, maybe it was removed?

Old 05-02-2006, 09:04 AM
Dave Barbieri
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dave7.3
I read on a Auto-Manufacturer owned forum that: "anymore than B5 (5% Bio-Diesel) may cause problems, B20 (20% Bio-Diesel) is taking a huge risk and B100 (100% Bio-Diesel) is hazardous"...is that statement full of crap?
This statement goes back to the issue of rubber pieces/parts in the fuel system. BioD can cause some types of rubber (hoses, o-rings, seals) to soften and swell, then leak. More than a few folks have experimented with this by submerging pieces of fuel in a baby food jar full of bio. Consensus is that modern-day fuel line is NOT affected by bioD in ANY blend amount. I asked the pump gurus that have done my IP work for over 15 years about the effects of bioD on my 1985 Stanadyne. "No problem." I'm building my Appleseed Converter as we speak.

Now, there is one 'side effect' that you need to be aware of - bioD is very astringent. It REALLY cleans out the fuel system. The gum/varnish left behind by #2D that has collected on the sides of the fuel tank and in the lines will be removed and washed forward to the filters. You WILL need to install new primary and secondary fuel filters when you start using it. And plan on installing a second set within the next two months after that. From that point on, it's business as usual. Sort of. First of all, you'll be putting far fewer emmissions out the tailpipe - both gas and particulate. Second, the much higher lubricity of bioD will greatly extend the life of your IP and injectors. You may/may not notice a performance or mpg increase. And it will definitely NOT smell like french fries! Bottom line, you benefit your pocket book, the environment, and America's farmers. Not a bad deal at all!

Old 05-02-2006, 09:33 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Stroke'NPower
I need to know if add unleaded gas as a thinner is the way to go or will damage my engin?
Gasoline (unleaded or not) will not stay mixed with WVO so there will be no thinning effect. The only way to thin WVO is to heat it.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Stroke'NPower
Freshman User
heaters for WVO

So where can I buy a heater for my truck that will either heat the whole tank or just an inline heater.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:09 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So where can I buy a heater for my truck that will either heat the whole tank or just an inline heater.
Check out our forum sponsor link at the top of the page. Erick can get you everything you will need.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:37 AM
leskwvo
Senior User
For inline heat the Vegtherm-mega will tie in nicely to a system.

But you really need to think this through. What model 7.3 PSD do you have, 1st gen or 2nd gen?

You need two almost completely separate fuel systems to run WVO for our trucks, 6.0 included. That means separate tank for WVO, separate fuel pump for WVO, Separate fuel filter for WVO and the heating system in place to warm and heat this second system. Here is were the almost part comes in, then they tee in to the supply lines at some point. Each gen is slightly different. You also need to control the return so you need a valve of some sort.

So I can sell you a heater but you need to step back and look at the big picture I'm sorry to say. The big picture is running WVO in a two tank system or making Bio. decide on what you want to do and then setup for it. Trying to fix this DSE stuff by putting a temp fix on it will be bad in the long run

Old 05-03-2006, 05:20 AM
fordman 460
Junior User
Take fabman's and ericks advice. these guys are the real experts on bio and WVO. As far as I see, you either spend time making bio as I do or you run WVO and modify your truck.

Quick Reply: 0.70 cents a gallon to run your Diesel ?