Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

Consumer declared gas war!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 10:01 AM
derherr65
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Consumer declared gas war!

My twin tanks take 42 gallons or $120 at $2.85/gallon. Consumers can control the market, if they act consistently. If you'll spend a few minutes a week looking for the best price, and buy only the lowest price, prices will come down.

Find gas prices near you online before you leave:
http://www.automotive.com/gas-prices/index.html

Another Idea I've seen: The boycott of exxon mobile until they drop their prices, leading the industry as the largest supplier. It may work more quickly.

GAS WAR - an idea that WILL work

This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. It's worth your consideration.

Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $ 4.00 a gallon by next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.

Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea. This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read on and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.79 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace..not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How?

Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers.

If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!! Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all! (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am so trust me on this one.) :-)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK

Old 04-17-2006, 10:47 AM
derherr65
Elder User
Another good site.

http://gasbuddy.com/

Old 04-19-2006, 02:27 AM
rfxj3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't bought gas from Exxon Mobile for over 5 years now - I think it might be working though... I just heard that the CEO was recently let go because of the fact that I haven't bought their gas. I hope that they gave him some sort of retirement/severence package though. I would hate to hear about how he is living on the streets now because of all this.

Wait a minute.... WHAT?!? He got HOW MUCH?!? What the hell can one man do with $500,000,000.00??? Plus stock options? WHAT?!? He can use the company jet??? Does he at least have to pay for his own gas for that damn jet? OK, now I am pissed off! Anybody got that recipe to make my own fuel out of french fry grease? I'm gonna give Willie Nelson a call, see if we can't take over a bunch of old meth-labs and start cooking up this bio-diesel and screw the oil companies!

Old 04-22-2006, 08:48 AM
texan2004
Cargo Master
You folks are from Texas????? Being from here you should have at least some reasoned understanding of how the oil business works and why prices are what they are now. I'm very disappointed to see a thread like this here.

Old 04-22-2006, 04:22 PM
brokebronco
Posting Guru
I don't know anything about the cattle industry either.

I fix cars for a living, I don't work in the oil industry.

Chris

Old 04-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Tx_Atty
Junior User
this thread, or a variation, is like a virus and has infected virtually every car and truck forum site for the last month. Basic economics classes appear to be in order.

Old 04-23-2006, 09:36 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A lot more than a month... I looked at a couple of threads more than a year old with the same types of spam e-mail in the text.

Want to debunk the myth...try this: http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp

Old 04-23-2006, 09:54 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Finally someone with an education pipes in. What amazes me even more is that you can type up a 1000 word logical and well-reasoned explantion for what we see happening here and these people still think that there are a dozen fat cats sitting down somewhere plotting to screw them.

Old 04-23-2006, 10:43 PM
bigwobbely
Senior User
no not a dozen just two(2)!! i wont say who they are but, (nevermind)

Old 04-23-2006, 11:06 PM
rfxj3
Senior User
Hey Texan2004, you may want to tone done your supercilious comments about members of this forum. Also, it is hard to not have a reaction when the news just showed Mr. Fatty Neck Fat Cat himself Lee Raymond retiring as mentioned above with the digustingly outrageous package that he is receiving.

To quote the AP wire story... "With oil and natural gas prices — not to mention Exxon Mobil's profits — soaring, and energy demand rising around the globe, Tillerson (Raymond's succesor) inherits a company that is poised for continued short- and long-term success, analysts said. Exxon Mobil earned $25.3 billion in 2004 and nearly $15 billion in the first half of 2005"

We live in a market driven economy based on free trade principles. The only way effectively garner change is through revenues. If enough of "these people" (your term) make radical changes in their purchasing habits, there will be an effect. Unfortunately it is because there are so many fatalistic fanatics of the status quo such as what you represent yourself to be, the chances of this being succesful are not very good I admit.

The original poster did mention that these were just some ideas and as such worthy of posting here in a forum designed to share information and ideas relating to Ford trucks. I do believe that gas price qualifies. Also, note that this idea, while similar to previous discussions, has one very important difference from the previous "gasout" emails that were sent around. I disagree with Snopes' assessment of this particular concept. If enough people made a decision to NOT buy ANYTHING from a single company for an extended period of time, this in fact would show up in the accounting and would in fact affect the companies pricing models therefore causing a ripple effect driving down prices accross the industry. This has to be coupled with an overall reduction on the total amounts of fuel purchased and a paradigm shift toward more fuel effecient and alternative fueled vehicles to have a strong lasting effect. I mentioned above that I have not personally bought anything from Exxon Mobil since they merged but I have also cut my total consumption down by over 60% during the same period through home officing. In addition, my wife's next vehicle will be a hybrid drive type of vehicle and we will then cut another 30-40%. This is the action that will garner results once enough people have the same philosophy.

Last edited by rfxj3; 04-23-2006 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:33 AM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Last time I checked, it was legal to earn a profit in the United States. I have no problem with what he was paid. You don't hear the shareholders complaining about any of this.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:12 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
I usually stay north of the river, but this thread caught my eye. Yes, it is legal to make a profit. It is not legal to screw people just because you've got them over a barrel. Every other industry I can think of that is in a similar situation is regulated by the government to keep them from screwing you. The only thing driving fuel prices is greed. All last year the petroleum companies whined about how they were going broke and there was a shortage and they didn't have a choice, then they announced record profits by a wide margin. That's called price gouging (and probably a few other things) and it's an illegal practice in every other industry.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Tx_Atty
Junior User
oil prices are on a worldwide market and dictated by global demand not just demand in the US. There has been no evidence our oil companies have done anything to manipulate the prices and short of that, their profits are legal and tough **** for anyone unhappy about it. As much as I wish the overthrow of Chavez had succeeded he is right about one thing, oil supply is not the issue. The problem we have is rooted squarely in the environmentalists' success in preventing any new refining capacity in this country. If we cant make enough fuel all the market pressures in the world wont change anything.

Old 04-24-2006, 04:17 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tx_Atty
this thread, or a variation, is like a virus and has infected virtually every car and truck forum site for the last month. Basic economics classes appear to be in order.
Schools don't teach it anymore and sadly people don't take it upon themselves to learn. Politicians prefer an ignorant population. You can't fool people who are informed.

Old 04-25-2006, 01:44 AM
rfxj3
Senior User
There has been no evidence our oil companies have done anything to manipulate the prices and short of that, their profits are legal and tough **** for anyone unhappy about it.
This just in from Air Force One...
"During the last few days, Bush asked his Energy and Justice departments to open inquiries into possible cheating in the gasoline markets, said White House press secretary Scott McClellan. Bush planned to announce the action Tuesday(4/25) during a speech in Washington."
Nedra Pickler, Associated Press Writer

As much as I wish the overthrow of Chavez had succeeded he is right about one thing, oil supply is not the issue. The problem we have is rooted squarely in the environmentalists' success in preventing any new refining capacity in this country. If we cant make enough fuel all the market pressures in the world wont change anything.
You are right about this. I recently read that there has not been a new domestic refinery built in more than twenty years or more because of environmentalist interference.

Quick Reply: Consumer declared gas war!