1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Doesnt want to start

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 03:18 PM
dayvo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With ambient temps like that i wish i were there instead of here. Maybe tjbeggs is on the right track about the HPOP issue that is directly related to the injectors.You said it cut out on you - like stall or sputter? When my 1 ton died on me it turned out to be the CPS but highly unlikely in your case. You must have checked the fuel filter,easy stuff first. It could also be you're loosing squeeze and that is not good. I wish I could help more. I got lucky here in my neck of the woods a friend of mine maintains a fleet of school buses with 5 of them having the 444e under the hood. He pluggs his laptop into my truck and it really saves me coin(i pay him in beer for his troubles). Taking it to a dealer should be last resort - you must know someone who knows someone....

Old 04-11-2006, 03:35 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
The engine turned off for 1-2 seconds and started right back up by itself. The next morning it wouldnt start, crank 4-5 times before it finally did. That night I used my programmer to find a 0344 cps code (turns out this code will come up after extended cranking), but I replaced it with an international cps. I checked the hpop res. before staring it one morning and it was full.

"It could also be you're loosing squeeze and that is not good."
???????????? explain (compression?)

Fuel filter is like 2-3 months old.

Old 04-11-2006, 04:13 PM
dayvo
New User
Ya compression but that wouldn't cause it to fire back up on it' own. you might think it's wierd but it actually does happen-the only other time was on a cummings in a dump truck. He lost his dash gauges the digital ones, they flickered like they were trying to reset, his engine turned off and re-started. I didn't believe it until i saw it happen. ... turns out the harness going into the engine's processor developed a crack, water got in and did damage. Had to send that one out to International. Not much concillation. I'll chat with my school bus buddy, see what he has to say. I'll post tomorrow - going to work now

Old 04-11-2006, 06:18 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Exclamation

I'm getting pissed now!
Truck died on me today driving around town (45mph). Shut off for 4-5 seconds, floored pedal and nothing, floored it again and it started up. I only saw a wait to start light. Got home pulled the codes and got.....
P0472 - Exhaust pressure sensor low (always get this code)
P0603 - Internal control module keep alive memory (KAM) error. (never had that one before)
P0236 - turbo performance out of range (always have this one too)

That was it no cps codes!
Is this cutting out problem the cause of my hard start too? Please give me any of your ideas. Truck runs fine other than the rough idle when warm but it has been doing that for years. This needs to be fixed before this weekend when I pull a stock trailer full of cows!
got from baz site
0603 PCED Powertrain Control Module KAM error No historical faults output during a KOEO test Open PCM pin, disconnected B+, faulty PCM
that doesnt sound good!

Last edited by ForemanES; 04-11-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:50 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
p0603 i think is the normal code for having a chip installed but i will check when i get to work on the diagianostics for it. lets try 2 things. try charging your batteries overnight with a trickly charger or for a few hours with a regular charger then try starting. i am wondering if there is a draw on the batteries that is slowly discharging them over night. if that doesn't help try unpluggin your chip and see if that helps. maybe it got an issue but i doupt it but we need to eliminate it anyway.

also can your programmer read engine data just want to rule out hpop pressures even though the level is good.

we will figure this out!!!

Old 04-11-2006, 08:17 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
I charged the batteries for a couple hours each over the weekend and no change. I also checked the chip in the pcm and it is in very tight. I didnt remove it, but would putting it in the stock position do the same? No my programmer wont read engine data (edge started that after I bought this one). I am worried more about the engine stalling than I am the hard start now. I also found that 603 code will come up if the truck has stalled. I have a feeling that both of these problems are caused by the same thing (sensor, wiring, ?????) Would running a key on engine analysis (KOEA) detect a hard start or stalling problem?

Old 04-12-2006, 10:17 AM
bellvillebus
Freshman User
I've only read a little of what has been posted so I don't know if this has been suggested but what you described sounds like you may have a blown injector o-ring. I work on busses and had one act the same about 2 years ago. I will try to check back more often if you have any questions.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:36 AM
dayvo
New User
Hey foreman: talked to the mechanic at the bus-lines he says he's quite sure your troubles are electrical. He said when the batteries get too too low, a batt post or connections is faulty or the altenator isn't keeping up the juice then what you are describing occurs. It happened frequently at his shop when napa kept sending him defective alt from Winnipeg. He's switched to a different supplier of course. Since the injectors are high voltage you need a optimun power and charging system. Hope this helps and it doesn't happen to me-ha-ha. My truck will pulse for about 30 seconds immediately after start-up then idle fine. It's always done that and I've given up chasing it. They're all junk when they're broke, eh.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:33 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
now with the stall issue i am thinking along the same lines as dayvo's friend. clean all battery connections with a wire brush (battery terminal tool works best) also check the connection on the soleniod on the passenger side fender. the glow plugs get power off the battery side of this soleniod with fusible links. also tyr unplugging the chip all together just setting it to stock won't verify it.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:27 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
"They're all junk when they're broke, eh." You must be Canadian, eh.
I had to take it to the dealership because I have no time to tinker with it during the week days. Thank all you guys for your suggestions. I WILL let you know what they say tonight. Big trip this weekend so it just had to be fixed (hopefully they figure it out).

Old 04-12-2006, 05:07 PM
DANDYoDAN
New User
Froeman Iam the Guy with the same problem, I added a quart of oil to mine befor driving to the Cabin yesterday and this Morning mine fired up first qrank--has not done that in a week to 10 Days. Mine is a 95 E350 old Ambulance so changing GP relay was an hour cant imagine Glow Plugs changing in the beast. Will let you know how it starts tomarrow

Old 04-12-2006, 06:05 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Could it be that simple with the hard start. Its almost time to change the oil so I'll do that when I get it back from the dealer.
DANDYoDAN have you had any stalling issues with your E-350?

Old 04-13-2006, 08:54 AM
DANDYoDAN
New User
Foreman, Went out and started the BEAST this Morn and it started right off with the oil topped off--will be interesting to see if the truly is the cure. I had a problem with mine last Fall doing what I would call a Hesitation, it some times would just loose power when I turned off one Highway on to an other and was accelerating back up to speed –it would act just like you turned it off for just a fraction of a second, some times spit several times and then would run fine –would only do this once a week of so.. Changed out the Cam Sencer (found a small crack in mine and it looked like it may have some oil in it) after that have not had that happen again so am sure that was it. On the oil thing I think I had read here some time ago that if they get low on oil they do not have what ever it was to build whatever to was to start – important thing to remember was to make sure I kept it full of oil. Let me know what the dealer finds and I will let you know if mine now starting is quinines. You said you cleaned fuses and moved relays—were they the ones under the hood? I blew a power steering hose in -20 weather and soaked that area of my engine compartment with fluid, after getting the new one on took it to a Truck Wash and hosed it off but I may have oil and water issues going on with that .

Old 04-13-2006, 09:09 AM
MikeFromShiloh
Senior User
Well, I have not read all the post but wanted to add one thing. Buddy and I both have 95 crew cab duellys. He was on vacation with family camping. His batteries went out and he replaced them with NeverStarts from WallyWorld (was handy and open all night). He had the same problem, not wanting to start. Engine would turn over fine but just didnt want to ignite. To make a long story short, went to Interstate Battery and checked batteries, one was junk. Replaced both and WOW, what a difference in cranking rpm. It will start now with no problems.

Keep us posted on what the stealership come up with. GL

Old 04-13-2006, 01:49 PM
dayvo
New User
pics

Foreman: need to see pics of your homemade heat shield and filter setup. I talked to tjbeggs and like his setup but want to see that heat shield.

Quick Reply: Doesnt want to start