Alaska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Need some help......

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 11:13 PM
WilliesSD250
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help......

So have any of my fellow Alaskan FTE members installed their own cab lights?? I've got the OEM harness, lights, instructions, and template. Just missing the "you know what's" to do it myself...
If any one is interested I'd be willing to provide all the necessary tools and beverages to someone who's done the install before. Heck I'll even throw in a king crab and steak dinner w/ the trimmings....
I've got the '06 350, but she looks naked without her lights.....
Any takers???

Old 03-31-2006, 01:24 PM
Vulcan3.0
Freshman User
Question CabLights..

Not to waste your time but.........
In my humble opinion that would be quite an undertaking! Maybe you should look into a body shop? They should be pretty much done with 'moose damaged vehicles by now? You would want a professional job. My truck has them but personally I never thought of it one way or the other. Maybe someone on this forum will do it for you. I hope so.
One another subj, how do you like the 6.0? Is its performance & power that much better than the 7.3? How does it stack up to the dirtymax or cummins?

Joe /// Wasilla AK.

Old 03-31-2006, 02:57 PM
WilliesSD250
Laughing Gas
Smile

Joe, thanks for the idea, I considered that ,but they all seem to be pretty darn expensive......As far as your question about the 7.3 and 6.0. I've had four diesels...a '97 "Superduty" chassis cab that had the indirect injection powerstroke diesel; a '00 F550 chassis cab with the 7.3 chassis cab; a '04 F 250 Supercab LWB with the 6.0 and my current rig a '06 F350 Supercab with the 6.0. All of these trucks have been automatics. I haven't pulled any loads with the 6.0's but the '00 7.3 was a real hawse. I used it as a hot shot rig running between anchorage/fairbanks to pendelton, yakima, seattle hauling 5'ers, TT's, boats, and slide in's. Most of my hauling was a haul and tow and the 7.3 would flat out get-it. I could walk away from other rigs (the chebbys and the doggies). I really liked the 7.3 Now the 6.0, well that's a different story....I notice a big difference in the push you back into your seat performance between my '04 and my '06. both trucks had 3.73 limited slips, both LWB, both 4 wheel drive, both supercabs. Only real difference between the two is the 250/350 size.

I guess it's just a matter of opinion. I think personally they have improved the 6.0 since it first rolled out. What does the 6.4 hold...who know's, but if the past holds any clues I'd steer clear of these new motors till their bigs get worked out. Which means at least 2010.
Want a trouble free, realiable motor then buy a used 7.3 from '00-'02 or else get yourself a '06.
This is just my .02 I'm certainly no expert....

Old 03-31-2006, 07:06 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Chris, I was going to do this undertaking when I had my XL. At that time it didnt seem that big of a deal removing the headliner. Looks like the proper tools are all you need and a good print out of Motoman steps. But now I have the moon roof I would not want to tackle it. But I did get them on the new truck. After having and not having I wont be caught without them again. Do you have the lie-o-meter overhead? If so that would be my biggest concern. If not than it might not be as bad. The drilling and such is pretty much straight forward. I do recommend that before drilling I would sand down the area were the hole is going to insure not paint chipping. Just a circle big enough to encompass the drilling. After drilling you can paint with some primer so it will not rust. A good amount of silicon should keep it from leaking. Let us know how or if it goes.

Mike B

Old 03-31-2006, 08:14 PM
Vulcan3.0
Freshman User
Thanks for the input Chris. No I wouldn't touch the 07 6.4 for the very reasons you indicated. the latest 6.0 isn't bad from all indications but even tho I hate the dually for everyday driving my 02 7.3 has served me well, with the exceptions of 2 cps replacements. I can do that myself now. Have to admit that I was impressed with the new 06 F350 SRW CC I casually looked at the other day. It had a GVWR of 11.5 which is 100 ovr mine.
Sorry I couldn't help you.

Joe

Old 03-31-2006, 10:43 PM
WilliesSD250
Laughing Gas
Well, I guess I have no choice but to try to do it myself. went to motomans site and have bookmarked it. So when I'm shore side again , I'll do it.

To answer you question Mike, no I don't have the overhead console...so it will be real easy in that aspect. I feel real confident in doing everything except the alignment of the holes, but as the old carpenters rule goes...measure twice 'drill' once. Thanks for the input guys....

Old 04-02-2006, 10:07 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Yep measure twice then measure it again to make sure. Good luck.

Old 04-02-2006, 10:24 PM
WilliesSD250
Laughing Gas
What gets me is the fact that the dealers put all these options on a truck but won't spend another $55 to put the lights in....... I was lucky and got my OEM lights from a sponsor here for not much more than the "factory option price...

It already hurts to think about all those holes I have to drill......ouch