1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

86 f250 wire diagrams don't match what I have

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 12:26 PM
danray35e
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 f250 wire diagrams don't match what I have

86 F-250 7.5 liter with 4brl
Haynes manual electrical diagrams colors are all wrong, configuration wrong too.
So I guess I am asking if anyone else has had this problem with wire diagrams not matching? I also looked on autozone wiring diagrams and they seem to just be copies of haynes manual diagrams. Where can I find the correct diagram. Also where is the ecm or ecc. I looked all under the dash and cannot find it.

Old 03-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Dungeon_Master
Posting Guru
Whats the production date of the vehical? Sometimes with a 10/xx production code they are in new model switch over and base it on the next years color scheme.

Old 03-19-2006, 02:34 PM
danray35e
Junior User
manufacture date is 8-86 I considered what you suggest but they still dont match up and configuration is completely different. I also checked the year before.

Old 03-19-2006, 07:03 PM
srercrcr
Postmaster
I could try to help you with my 83 Wiring diagram book. I guess they had the 6.9 then, but it might be the same.
Got a specific question?

Old 03-19-2006, 08:55 PM
82F100SWB
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Your truck does not have an ECM, it only has the duraspark II ignition module on the drivers side inner fender, that's as electronic as it gets.
As for wiring diagrams, what exactly are you looking for?
I know my 460 truck's electrical pretty well.

Old 03-19-2006, 09:59 PM
danray35e
Junior User
Well, what prompted all this was a fuel system problem. I purchased this truck about a year ago, primarily to use as a tow vehichle. On a camping trip last summer the truck just died and would not start. While stranded on the side of the road my first thought was to check the fuel delivery system.
( During earlier maint work I discovered a high pressure fuel pump on the frame rail. I found it early on as when the key was turned on I could hear the fuel pump running. So it was wired to be hot with key in the on posistion. After looking at the fuel pump it did not appear to be wired as original equipment.)
So while on the side of the road I realized that the pump on the fuel rail was not working with the key on. In desperation I yanked out the radio I had recently installed. (it was the first place I could think of to draw power with key on) and used a three foot piece of wire I found on the side of the road to conncect the hot wire of the fuel pump to the hot when key on wire from the radio and she started right up. (I had been haveing intermittant periods where the truck would suddenly die in town when I hit a bump, I figure that the bumps were uncovering a problem with intermittant wire contact and on the camping trip the wire completely broke loose.)
So for the last six months I have been driving it with this wire running from my radio compartment down and out through the passenger door to the fuel pump on the frame rail. I decided to rewire the pump for a more permanant solution. I wanted to rewire the fuel system so that it would be as originally intented. Using the haynes manual was not much help, but I was able to trace the wiring from the inertia fuel shutoff switch to the fuel pump relay.
Upon close inspection of the fuel pump relay I found that it was defective, prob correoded. I replaced it and the truck seems to actually run better. I am guessing the person who owned the truck before me opted to put a high pressure fuel pump inline rather than track the problem down to the fuel pump relay. Because now I can disconnect the hight pressure pump and the engine will continue to run. My assumption is that fuel injected models had high pressure pumps while carb models did not. Now as to the wire diagrams, I first noticed the wire color and layouts not matching from when I first started tracing the wires out from the inertia fuel shut off switch. According to the haynes manual the inertia fuel shutoff switch has two wires coming from it. One wire brown leading directly to the fuel pump relay. The other wire red/white leading directly to the in tank fuel pump. Off of this red/white wire it shows a pink/black wire going to a high pressure fuel pump. On my truck the wiring is a completely different color and configuration. On mine, both wires coming from the inertia switch are yellow. One wire goes directly to the hot side of the starter relay(constant hot) the other wire goes directly to the fuel pump relay. Accoding to the haynes manual the fuel pump relay has a yellow wire connceted to constant hot but this constant hot does not go through the inertia switch. So it gets confusing from that point on. Especially when you consider that most of the diagram shows wires leading to the engine control module which I apparently dont have. I am looking for correct wiring concerning the fuel system.

Last edited by danray35e; 03-19-2006 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:07 PM
danray35e
Junior User
one other thing. The fuse panel does not have a cover on it to indicate what each fuse covers. So I am faced with a bunch of fuses I dont know what they cover. If someone has a picture of a fuse cover which shows what each fuse position covers that would be great.

Old 03-20-2006, 01:26 AM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As you have discovered, Haynes diagrams are of little value. A Ford factory manual is a good investment.

Do you know for sure that your truck has duraspark II? Mine is an 86 also, not duraspark II, and has a eec inside one of the kick panels, so I've been told. Sorry I don't have your answers but thought this should be considered. If you have the flat ign module that mounts on the side of the distributor, it's not duraspark II, but a later less reliable system... I have had to change that module three times on my truck. I am changing over to duraspark II, hoping for better reliability.

Old 03-20-2006, 02:01 AM
danray35e
Junior User
I have a duraspark module on the fender well, but it does not say duraspark 2 simply duraspark. I thought perhaps if I had an eec it would be behind one of the kick panels but I have looked and not found one.