1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

fuel tank under the bed of a 56

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 11:23 AM
fatboy92
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel tank under the bed of a 56

Im wanting to get the fuel tank out of my cab. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be the way to go with mounting a tank under the bed behind the axle? Im wanting to use a tank from another vehicle versus build one.
thanks
bobb

Old 03-13-2006, 11:35 AM
fordgo
Senior User
alot of us are running late sixties mustang tanks that you can buy new check my gallery for pics

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes.— Oscar Wilde

gee ooh

Old 03-13-2006, 12:02 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also used a Mustang tank and built a 1" tubular frame for it. I had a radiator shop move the fill hole so it landed in the middle of a bed board, then bought a lockable pop-up SS marine filler. My gallery shows the tank install.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

John Nilon did that on his 53 and wrote a great tech article on it.

http://www.clubfte.com/users/jniolon...ustangtank.htm

Old 03-13-2006, 12:12 PM
46achers
Junior User
There are several "kits" available, got mine from Obsolete Ford, it is Stainless and holds 19 gallons of gas. I ran my filler spout thru the frame rail, this requires a small "notch", there was a steel "u" shaped piede supplied with my kit. I added a 78-83 Ford Fairmont/Zephyr gas "door" to the fender to "hide" the cap. You can also buy "kits" for this, BUT the Fairmont/Zephyr are usually cheap to buy and install.
The bed needs to be removed for this conversion, as I am doing a "ground up" this was not a problem.
I have also used early 62/65 Chevy Nova gas tanks in these era trucks, no removal of bed for this, been awhile, but I think all I had to do was drill holes for straps to hold the tank in place and rework the gas filler .

Some guys mount the gas filler in the bed, problem is you have to be so careful in filling and usally have to move the cooler, chairs, etc. Hope this helps.

Dave

Old 03-13-2006, 02:32 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
There's a couple things that you should consider;

1. You will need to match the fuel sending unit with the fuel gauge.
2. Where is the filler neck going to come out at

I am running a tank from a mid 80's full sized Blazer. The tank comes in two sizes, 24 and 31 gallon. I am using the 31 gallon because I got it for free but the 24 would be better. The tanks fuel filler exits towards the passenger side of the truck and will fit between the bed floor and the frame. I plan on adding a fuel filler door into the right rear fender.
I'm using GM gauges so I shouldn't have a problem with the gauge reading funky.

Welcome to the board! When you get a chance take some pics and set up a gallery so that we can see what you have. There is nothing we like more than ogling some one elses truck.

Bobby

Old 03-13-2006, 05:12 PM
truckbuff
Junior User
fuel tank

I am using the fuel tank & skid plate out of a Jeep CJ-7. I liked the look
and protection the skid plate provides since the tank hangs down below the frame. The fill & vent hose fittings are on the drivers side about even with the top of the frame. I am running 2 hoses up to the fuel filler in the rear drivers side fender. I bought a fuel gage to match the Jeep fuel sender.
The tanks are readily available & reasonably priced. I am running a carburator, I'm not sure what it would take for fuel injection. The only other
issue might be fuel capacity, it is 15 gallon, which might be a little small for a big engine or a high performance engine.

Old 03-13-2006, 05:22 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fatboy92
Im wanting to get the fuel tank out of my cab. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be the way to go with mounting a tank under the bed behind the axle? Im wanting to use a tank from another vehicle versus build one.
thanks
bobb
If you wish to stick w/ something that is goes w/ more the year of your truck a tick better, locate a '56 Panel Truck & Smurf the Saddle Bag Tank, Filler Spout & the Sheet Metal around the Filler Spout.
Be a lot easier than having to Fab stuff from scratch to mount a tank not made to fit your truck, w/ just a little body work to place the indented Sheet Metal for the Filler Spout removed from the Panel Truck & installing it onto your truck.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:15 PM
1956f100
Senior User
I used a Summit Racing pro-street fuel cell. It is 16 gal and used a gm sending unit. It fits well between the frame rails but I did have to move a crossmember back a few inches or so. You can see it in my gallery.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:37 AM
scottmotorsports
Freshman User
Fuel Cell

I'm looking at going the same route on my 54. Has the fuel cell worked out ok? And is this with or without the foam?..thanks

Old 05-20-2007, 08:48 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Smile

im putting my effie on a 74 frame and they , the frames are the same width { 55 f350 versus the 74 1/2 ton } and the 74 , if you are going to run a carb , has a tank mounted at the rear of the frame behind the axle and to this point with the bed crossmembers etc on the frame it clears nicely all i have to do is fab up a drivers side filler neck. just for your consideration .

Old 05-20-2007, 09:52 PM
scottmotorsports
Freshman User
I'm sticking with the stock 6yl for now. So I will be using a carb. I have allready filled in the cab filler, the cab corners were gone so the replacment panel covered that.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:07 PM
1956f100
Senior User
The fuel cell works great, and yes it does have the foam. If I ever redo it, I think I will go with one of the aluminum fuel cells just for looks.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:54 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
I got a 22 gallon tank out of a Blazer that bolts right in between the frame rails. Not fancy but a helluva lot cheaper than a custom unit. Mustangs work well but don't have as much capacity.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:21 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
I got a 22 gallon tank out of a Blazer that bolts right in between the frame rails. Not fancy but a helluva lot cheaper than a custom unit. Mustangs work well but don't have as much capacity.
Charlie...

you can get a Mustang tank in both 20 and 22 gallon and they will fit between frame rails with little more hangdown thanthe 16gallon... got one in mine.... see article above

later
John

Quick Reply: fuel tank under the bed of a 56