1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

01 4.6L 2WD Auto, I want to do small mods to it, what do I get?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 10:54 PM
mdjohnson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 01 4.6L 2WD Auto, I want to do small mods to it, what do I get?

OK, here is the skinny. I just got it, it's a 2001 F-150 2WD auto and a limited slip. I only want to do about $1000 worth of modifications total. Here is what I was thinking K&N FIPK, Gibson Cat-Back, and a Hypertech Programmer. What do they make as far as an igntion upgrade delivering more spark?

What I'm looking to get out of this is more perfomance and better fuel economy. I am going to sometimes be pulling a car trailer maybe a total of 500 mile per year. Are there any better parts for it other then what I listed?

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited by mdjohnson; 03-01-2006 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-05-2006, 01:11 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Depending on the stock gearing, 3.73 or 4.10 will give you alot more power. The gears along with a Diablosport Predator tuner, cat back exhaust would help alot. I'm not convinced that the FIPK's do much for a stock engine. The factory set-up is pretty efficient, plus it actually pulls cooler air from the fenderwell and not from under the hood.

Old 03-05-2006, 02:21 PM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
like LxMan1 said.....FIPK kits are a waste especially when it pulls hot air from under the hood rather cool air from the fenderwell.....anyway, like he said GEARS AND PREDATOR is a very good start....exhaust will sound cool but not give a real big power gain unless the motor is moddes and you need to get the exhaust out of the motor faster.....4.10s are a good set of gears.....and Motorhaven claimbs 25 RWHP from the Predator tuner......not bad!!!

Old 03-05-2006, 05:48 PM
stang3O2
Senior User
MdJohnson...GREAT advice from LxMan1 and Gui88Ford! As they both stated...gears are BEST bet by far. And only being a 2wd...my guess is your prob looking at $500-$800 for parts and install, just a guess. Tuner or Programmer...dont know what they cost now, but say maybee close to $500 (that might be alittle steep)...I would spend the few extra dollars and go with the 4.10s and youll prob be alot happier! Dont waste money on cold air intakes...just like gui88ford said, they are really "HOT AIR" intakes...hype hype hype! Exhaust looks awesome, sounds good...but thats bout it, not a difference to tell, but I do love my exhaust just cuz it gives it a good look!

Old 03-05-2006, 05:58 PM
fbodyfan
Senior User
I think you'll like an exhaust system. When I had mine done, I felt more power. Maybe it's just a psychological thing, but I could've sworn it pulled harder. My biggest gain in power so far is a 75mm throttle body from BBK. I ordered a predator tuner today on ebay for 289.00 + 15.00 shipping. They retail for 399 for our trucks. Gears don't actually GIVE you power, they give the motor more of a mechanical advantage. It's a trade-off really, if you get higher gears like 3.73's or 4.10's, you'll feel like you have more power, but your engine will be at higher rpm's at the same speed as before. I'm not trying to talk you out of getting gears, just going a little more in depth about the pro's and cons. Gears are a great investment, if you need them.

Old 03-05-2006, 06:10 PM
stang3O2
Senior User
What Fbodyfan stated is true, good invest if needed! Like he said, the gears are actually just keeping your motor up in its good "power band" range...you mentioned pulling a trailer and better mpg. Keep in mind you will prob get better city mpg cause your tranny wont be working as hard, alot of people claim increase in mileage with new gears...especially when your gonna be pulling that trailer!

Old 03-05-2006, 06:21 PM
RobbyMartin
Senior User
I asked the same question you did and I wasted some money. Here is what I added to my '02 4.6L:
Intake (Air Aid)
Throttle body spacer (Power Aid)
4.56 gears due to 35" tires
Cat back exhaust (T-Phlo)
Hypertech programmer

In my opinion, the best investment has been the gears and the programmer (but I wouldn't go with the Hypertech if I were you, get the Diablo). I think the intake and spacer were a waste of money. The exhaust added some torgue but nothing like I hoped for. I am going to be adding a BBK throttle body and pulleys. Has anyone had any luck with pulleys?
The cost of gears isn't that much but the labor to install them will kill you. The programmer will cost you about $400 or so but sometimes if you really do your homework you can find a good deal on one.

Old 03-05-2006, 08:28 PM
stang3O2
Senior User
RobbyMartin...Ive got an 02 FX4 5.4L with 35s, thinkin myself of goin to the 4.56 gears. You said it was your best investment...whats your thoughts overall, and with many different opinions, what mileage are you getting! I debated back and forth with a guy in the 2004 and newer F150 section about how gears will help your mileage...he thought I was crazy, saying that makes the truck work harder and there is no way it would help mileage! Even with a stock truck with 3.55s I think 3.73s or 4.10s will improve your city mileage, maybee not highway...but we were talking city! These trucks are big...and they need more than that 3.55 to get em rollin im my opinion! Whats your thoughts? Thanks!

Old 03-05-2006, 08:38 PM
xtrford
Posting Guru
That throttlebody spacer is even a bigger waste of money than a FIPK...seriously.

Old 03-05-2006, 11:27 PM
mdjohnson
Senior User
What is so good about the Diablosport tuner over a Hypertech?

Old 03-06-2006, 09:55 AM
RobbyMartin
Senior User
Originally Posted by stang3O2
RobbyMartin...Ive got an 02 FX4 5.4L with 35s, thinkin myself of goin to the 4.56 gears. You said it was your best investment...whats your thoughts overall, and with many different opinions, what mileage are you getting! I debated back and forth with a guy in the 2004 and newer F150 section about how gears will help your mileage...he thought I was crazy, saying that makes the truck work harder and there is no way it would help mileage! Even with a stock truck with 3.55s I think 3.73s or 4.10s will improve your city mileage, maybee not highway...but we were talking city! These trucks are big...and they need more than that 3.55 to get em rollin im my opinion! Whats your thoughts? Thanks!
I'd say with the highway and city driving that I do it's about the same milage as before as a whole. Before, it seemed like I had to mash the pedal to the floor in order to get the truck rolling but now it moves, especially with the tuner/programmer. I talked to the gear manufacturer and they recommended the 4.56 gears over 4.10 or the ratio in between. The only thing I don't like is the higher rpm's it runs at but you can't get away with not having that. Did that answer any of your questions? Let me know if you need any more info.

Old 03-06-2006, 09:59 AM
RobbyMartin
Senior User
Originally Posted by mdjohnson
What is so good about the Diablosport tuner over a Hypertech?
The Diablo has more options and tunes in about half the time as the Hypertech and gives your truck more horse/torque. The Hypertech doesn't kick in until 1400 rpm's but the Diablo kicks in from the get go.

Old 03-06-2006, 01:01 PM
mdjohnson
Senior User
So in conclusion I should get a Diablosport tuner, no intake and an exhaust when it needs to be replaced.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 03-06-2006, 01:54 PM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
yep, thats about right unless you have the money for gears then get them for sure too...

Old 03-06-2006, 01:56 PM
RobbyMartin
Senior User
Originally Posted by mdjohnson
So in conclusion I should get a Diablosport tuner, no intake and an exhaust when it needs to be replaced.

Thanks for all the help.
Personally, if I had to do it all over again I would get the tuner (Diablo), then a throttle body (BBK) and an exhaust at the same time. If you're opening up your air intake then you need to open up your exhaust for it to be efficient. Sucking in large volumes of air and not being able to get it back out isn't good, or visa versa.
Anyone have any difference of opinion on that?

Quick Reply: 01 4.6L 2WD Auto, I want to do small mods to it, what do I get?