1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

My 1997 Ranger is deceased! I need to bring her back to life.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 01:51 PM
grease monkey
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My 1997 Ranger is deceased! I need to bring her back to life.

My truck died a second death on Friday. When I bought it I had problems with my clutch so I had it replaced under warranty 25,000 miles ago and now its trashed again. I really think they didnt fix it right because that brake fluid in the clutch master cylinder was really black when I took it in.

When I got it back its the same black fluid so I think it all started hydraulicly and all they did was lathed my flywheel and changed the clutch. About 4 months ago it started sqeeking when I push the petal in, and it was chattering, grinding in several gears, and really hard to push the petal in.

Thursday I was driving to the gas station and the petal totally went to the floor and it slipped out of gear. Friday comes around and I had to go to the grocery store and it was extremely difficult to drive it and by the time I get home I had no second gear at all.

I luckily have a manual transmission class in a couple of weeks so im going to tear it down then. To save this headache again im going to replace the master cylinder, slave cylinder, clutch, flywheel, and im going to rebuild my transmission. I found this kit on ebay to rebuild it with so I might pick that up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-RANGER-EXPLORER-TRANSMISSION-REBUILD-KIT_W0QQitemZ8040467684QQcategoryZ33733QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

Old 02-26-2006, 03:06 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep us updated.

Old 02-27-2006, 08:58 AM
427ford
Senior User
My '94 Ranger's been through several slave cylinders. Requires pulling out the tranny... not one of Ford's better ideas. First clutch was replaced when one of the slaves failed (mostly because we were already in there and considering the mileage... but the clutch still looked pretty good). The 5 speed lasted 240,000 miles. Of course, we did a new clutch and slave at that time. Basically, any time you're in there, replace the slave cyle....

Old 02-27-2006, 01:26 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 427ford
My '94 Ranger's been through several slave cylinders. Requires pulling out the tranny... not one of Ford's better ideas. First clutch was replaced when one of the slaves failed (mostly because we were already in there and considering the mileage... but the clutch still looked pretty good). The 5 speed lasted 240,000 miles. Of course, we did a new clutch and slave at that time. Basically, any time you're in there, replace the slave cyle....
After changing several slave cylinders over the years, I was surprised to learn that Ford put slave cylinders INSIDE the transmission, changing a simple job into a difficult one. Brings back an expression I used many times when I had a Fairmont, "What were they thinking?".
Dono

Last edited by Ken00; 02-27-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:40 PM
john112deere
Posting Guru
They cynic in me says they were thinking of all the clutch kits they could sell when people have to drop the tranny to replace the stupid thing...

Also, can anyone confirm something I read somewhere, that having the slave inside the bellhousing actually increases the chances of slave failure, due to the dust from the clutch disc wearing?

Old 02-27-2006, 03:52 PM
Tiggie
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It actually wasn't Ford's idea, so don't blame them. It was Mazda's, they designed the Tranny.

Old 02-27-2006, 04:24 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now that you mention it john112deere, that's a pretty good point, the dust from the clutch could probably get to it.

Last edited by RangerPilot; 02-27-2006 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:29 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by john112deere
They cynic in me says they were thinking of all the clutch kits they could sell when people have to drop the tranny to replace the stupid thing...

Also, can anyone confirm something I read somewhere, that having the slave inside the bellhousing actually increases the chances of slave failure, due to the dust from the clutch disc wearing?
I don't see how dust from the disc can get into they slave cylinder. I think the opposite, placing the slave inside the bell housing actually will protect it
from flying road debris (gravel, stones, etc.).....