Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VERY Close Call...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 08:49 AM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VERY Close Call...

I went to the dealer yesterday after my truck came out of the shop to have the cruise control recall attended to. Before I even left, I called up there to see if they could get to it, and they said most likely so, the only thing was that they had to have the VIN for my truck, and they had to know whether the sensor itself was leaking or if it just needed the new harness. I told them that the sensor was leaking and that it would need attention. They called back in a few minutes and told me to drive on up.

After arriving at our small-town dealership, the owner himself installed the parts in the parking lot within just a few minutes. Call me a rubber-neck or whatever, but I always like to stand around and see what's going on. Anyway, he made the comment that mine was the worst that he had seen. After asking him what he meant, he told me that the biggest part of the ones they repair are not even leaking. Mine was DRASTICALLY leaking. Not to mention, my cruise control hadn't even worked for months. It just stopped working one day and it never started back.

After he got the new sensor and harness installed, he told me that there was one more thing to check. He pulled the harness out of the cruise control servo box, only to discover that the plug itself was DOUSED in brake fluid! This was something that we couldn't understand... It's supposed to be a sealed connection, however it was simply covered in brake fluid. He then had a seasoned mechanic come out and take a peek. The mechanic was telling me of a lady that came in for an oil change on a 1994 F-150, just like mine, right before the parts became available for the recall. He said that hers wasn't even leaking as bad as mine, but he wanted to go ahead and check the harness. Hers was the same. The connector was covered in brake fluid. Although, there was nothing that he could do at the time, so he just packed up shop and sent her on her way. Three days later she called the dealership and told them that he truck had caught fire and burnt to a crisp... The only thing that I don't understand is why didn't he unplug the cruise control beforehand, when it was in the shop for the oil change??

Anywho, all of this was just a precaution to those who are waiting around on getting their cruise control repaired. It's a simple little procedure, and mine only took 15 minutes. I did the wrong thing by procrastinating, and not even going to have my harness unplugged. But, I guess I got lucky this time. I sure learned something from this experience...

BTW, after the new parts were installed and the connection to the servo was cleaned properly, I'm happy to say that my cruise control works again!

Nightrain

Old 02-25-2006, 09:58 AM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i am glad you fixed this before it caused a fire.

i see that you have been a member for a long time on the forum, and i have to ask why you were not aware of this and take care of it earlier, like when the cruise stopped working?

you must have seen posts on this in the last year or so.

Old 02-25-2006, 10:43 PM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Oh, yes. I saw the posts, received the letters from Ford, etc., but I always avoided it. Now I'm aware of how stupid I was, and these mistakes will not be made any longer.

I never did think that the cruise would stop working because of this, but I guess that leaky sensor prevented it from working. Either way, all is well now, and I am glad that she's still with me in her 'normal' form instead of a melted pile of steel.

Nightrain

Old 02-27-2006, 12:49 PM
gatesj
Posting Guru
Yeah, I ignored it for a bit, not realizing that flammable fluids were involved. Once I found that out I IMMEDIATELY unplugged that switch, although it wasn't leaking. This really is a dangerous one for real.

Old 02-27-2006, 01:07 PM
hostile413
Senior User
as mentioned elsewhere on here...i can say dont wait on this issue..mine caught fire..i think the pics are still in my gallery..cost around a hundred bucks for me too fix, and luckily i was at the fire department went it caught fire

Old 02-27-2006, 02:17 PM
stresssolutions
Senior User
Just scheduled mine...they couldn't get parts. Or so they said.

Old 02-27-2006, 02:26 PM
slackwolf
Freshman User
I took my '96 to the dealer back when first got the letter, but was just for the unplug come to find out lol still waiting on the parts apparently. haven't called dealership in 3-4 weeks but last I heard they still didn't have the parts..... I'm wondering if they are just BS'in me or what since I would have thought they gotten the parts by now. probably going to call a dealership in next town over and see, been without cruise control for quite a while now....

anyone know if basically all the dealerships have the parts by now?

Old 02-27-2006, 02:48 PM
felixr
Elder User
sorry for my ignorant and probably out of place post but whats the deal here? there's a recall for this sensor or something? ive only had my truck for about 3 months. how does this work? anyone currently owning a 90's f150 w/CC goes in for a free replacement of some sensor thats ready to catch fire? please inform or point me in the right direction? thanks a MILLION! honestly!

Old 02-27-2006, 02:50 PM
stresssolutions
Senior User
Does it matter felixr? Last I heard you couldn't yours to run!! Laughing with you, not at you, I know it is frustrating.

94-96 Bronco, 94-2002 F150/250, 97-2002 Expedition, 98-2002 Navigator and 2002 Blackwood.

The underhood speed control deactivation switch may overheat smoke or burn, which could result in an underhood fire, could happen anytime, anywhere, running or not, C/C in operation or not.

Danger, Will Robinson, Danger. Take it in and get it unhooked, which I did not. Parts will be available in Nov 2005. Er make that Feb 2006, maybe.

Last edited by stresssolutions; 02-27-2006 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:01 PM
felixr
Elder User
ill do a search for the link. isn't this something i can unhook myself though?

just to keep it on topic. . . nightrain, glad to hear you dodged the bullet and thanks for this thread or else i would have probably never done/seen this.

i saw it on the news once but that was a while ago and didnt think it was for my year

[offtopic again] haha very funny stress . . . it -is- frustrating . . im in the middle of deciding to leave my job for more money any where else but only for a career change. . . so money is VERY VERY tight right now. . . i couldn't even get the cables yet if you can believe THAT! its THAT bad. . . *sigh* oh well . . . things will look up soon i hope [/offtopic]

sorry guys

Old 02-27-2006, 03:05 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you just have to unplug it.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:29 AM
slackwolf
Freshman User
erm came across this post where I posted earlier and figured would update.

I got the letter from ford the other day that the part was available and called up the local dealership and everything was ready to go. dropped truck off at 8am this morning and she was ready with the replacement part installed by 9:30am.

Now I have cruise again so I'm happy

took long enough! lol here it is, end of April already

Old 04-26-2006, 11:45 AM
felixr
Elder User
i just got the recall leter in the mail after signing up with myfordvehicle or whatever that website is and registering

Old 04-28-2006, 10:36 AM
btwick
Freshman User
Hi.. I've just had my truck for a year - 96 F350 and wondering if this applies.. The earlier post said F150/250, but I beleive that there is no difference with the 350s with the exception of suspension..

Can any enlightened souls help me determine if this is something I need to take care of?

Thx,
Brian

Old 04-28-2006, 11:01 AM
slackwolf
Freshman User
Originally Posted by btwick
Hi.. I've just had my truck for a year - 96 F350 and wondering if this applies.. The earlier post said F150/250, but I beleive that there is no difference with the 350s with the exception of suspension..

Can any enlightened souls help me determine if this is something I need to take care of?

Thx,
Brian
pretty sure it applies to the whole F-series line of the years amongst other vehicles. I did find a list at https://www.lawyersandsettlements.co...rd_fire_recall

says it applies to '96 F350 trucks

1996 4.9L 300cid Fuel Injected L6 Vin:Y
1996 5.8L 351cid Fuel Injected V8 Vin:H
1996 7.3L 444cid Diesel V8 Turbo Vin:F
1996 7.5L 460cid Fuel Injected V8 Vin:G

Quick Reply: VERY Close Call...