1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

PSD/cummins

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 08:59 AM
RichPSD
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PSD/cummins

I'm curious as to how everyone feels the PSD stacks up against the cummins.

I know the cummins is a real good motor, but so isn't the PSD. But, I was watching some truck pulling the other night and every truck was a cummins, except one PSD and one duramax. I would think the added two cylinders would put the PSD ahead of cummins.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:21 AM
1997F-350
Postmaster
cummins cheap and easy to modify.
psd expensive to modify.

psd vs cummins stock= cummins wins.

ford a way better looking truck imho.

Old 02-23-2006, 01:41 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
id take our motors stock vs stock same year over the cummins. the cummins is LOOOOUUUUUDDDDD sounds like a bucket of rocks at idle. the 97 cummins makes about 160hp and 420tq and the psd is 190/480 and you get aq much quicker truck out of the ford. the fuel economy is better out of the stock cummins but smaller less hp motor also. thery both will last the same as long as the maintence is done right.

the cummins is definately much cheaper to get tons of hp out of. but the higher hp 12v cummins arnt fun for a daily driver when a psd you can turn your chip down and get the daily driver back in it. the 24v and 600 series cummins have the electronics to be able to achive this to an extent but since its common rail injected you can only do so much.

ford vs truck chassis ford hands down. the only thing i like about the dodge is the coil spring front end.

Old 02-23-2006, 01:56 PM
RichPSD
Junior User
Good info, thanks guys.

Don't mind spending a little more for something better...

Old 02-23-2006, 02:06 PM
Dustin_86
Posting Guru
BS, A buddys 95 PSD SPANKS dodge modded or stock. He has 4.10/E4OD and a butt haulling PSD

Old 02-23-2006, 08:35 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a note on comparisons; look at all of the work pickup trucks at construction sites, road crews, lumber & pulpwood yards, farms, etc. places that REALLY WORK their trucks, and 85% of them are FORDS. How many OLDER Dodge/Chevy/GMC pickups are still on the road? Go to a junk yard and you find lots of Dodge/Chevy/GMCs sitting around but not many FORDS. I wonder why? BECAUSE FORD MAKES TOUGH TRUCKS THAT LAST!!!!!!

Just MHO.

A buddy of mine has a 99 Dodge and my 95 will out pull it hands down. He wanted to borrow my JD 310 Backhoe/Loader and trailer (total weight 16, 878 lbs). I told him to come and get it, because it was still loaded on the trailer at the barn. He came over hooked up to it and ....... after about 15 min. of trying to pull it up the little grade from the barn he gave up. I hooked up to it and pulled it over to his place. After using it he tryed to pull it back to me and had to call me to come and get it because he couldn't even pull it down his gravel driveway.
Thats enough for me!!

Old 02-25-2006, 12:11 AM
cumminpwr11
Senior User
its all on how and who you look at.

Edge products and Gale Banks are going after diesel speed records (kind of ironic, diesel and speed I thought these things where for pulling and efficientcy) and they use cummins. Fastest diesel in the record books is a modifided cummins.

Gale drives a chevy duramax, and I seen more fords at edge in the parking lots leading me to believe they like fords.

I like my cummins, but I would not turn down a ps either. my excursion feels way more solid than my ram ever will, but until i see more powerstrokes with my 480K+ miles with out a rebuild, I will stick with my cummins.

Besides I don't trust a diesel I can't hear.

I can't spell

Old 02-25-2006, 12:01 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've really been fighting the urge to drive one of those new MegaCabs with a 6 speed. The main reason I got my truck was because of the small Dodge Quad Cab. I like my truck, but I sure like the Cummins.