Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

Y'all have some native peppers over there that run me curious...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 07:33 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Y'all have some native peppers over there that run me curious...

I doubt I spell this right - it's a "Pequin" or something like that...

Little bitty triangle shapped peppers that grow wild, and are hotter than a hooker that took a bad check...

I had some peppers once from Guadalajara like that once - tiny little things, but they were so hot they burnt holes in an aluminum pot!

They had to be kept in plastic or glass containers.

I'd kill for some seeds for those things, they were the most amazing little things I can remember!

PM me if you can get some seeds to pass to me.

PS: There is a Cajun family that has set up a restaraunt nearby - I expect if I gave them some plants that I sprout they would love them dearly...

Last edited by Greywolf; 02-15-2006 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:48 AM
rfxj3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out this post on the Sam McGee's The Chile Garden Forum website. This post is specifically for those that want Chile Pequin seeds but this is a great source of information for all things related to chiles.

http://www.sammcgees.com/webpost/d1/c2/html/1332.htm?rnd=74

Last edited by rfxj3; 02-16-2006 at 01:52 AM.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:55 PM
MemOrex
Postmaster
Pequin...hmm havent heard of those. Hottest peppers i've had would have to be some habaneros.... szszszs hot.

Old 02-17-2006, 06:53 AM
uemf
Senior User
doggone it! I had about a dozen plants growing at my old house ... none made the move to the new house last year.
They all started from a couple of pods that I found wild... now where did I find those wild ones at...
Greywolf, If I find some I'll drop you a line.

Old 02-17-2006, 06:45 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Cool deal!

I've seen them just once in a jar at a little bitty store west of Langley around Norfolk VA. But they were green, and you cain't sprout pickled seeds...

I know for dang sure that when they turn bright red and orange it only takes but two for a whole pot of chile...

THIS is innerestin' - take a look at this link...

http://www.tough-love.com/seed_descr...ml#PEPERONCINO

Last edited by Greywolf; 02-17-2006 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:14 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

i'll check the local grocery stores for some pequins for ya grey. might not find any this far north in tx even if i am in west tx. if i can't, i have friends in el paso who surely can.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:27 PM
BroncoRoadKill
Posting Guru
My dad's friend's ranch we hunt at down around hebronville has tons of chili pequin plants, next time I'm down there I'll grap a handfull, (to say)

Old 02-21-2006, 02:34 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I reckon if they dry, and wrapped in a bit of plastic they can be mailed.

Somehow I doubt the postal service sniffs for capsaisin...

Old 03-23-2006, 02:11 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I'm still hoping for some Pequin seeds, but if all goes well in a few weeks I'll have sprouts for 19 Thai pepper bushes, 50 Haberneros, 40 Long Red Cayennes, and 36 Bell Peppers.

I'm also looking to sprout some Anahiem Chilis, Banana Peppers, and Tobasco's...

Anything gets in my garden this year better pray it can make it to some water pronto!

Old 03-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Antacus
Elder User
A friend of mine used to have two habanero plants in her house. I thought they were pretty hot but she would just pick them off and eat them like candy. Sadly the plant died over the winter.

Another friend had the jalepeno plant but his were not hot at all.

Old 03-24-2006, 05:40 PM
theshyguy
Elder User
Never heard of the Pequin before.

I've raised the habanero's before and they were hot as hell. I screwed up once( only once) and cut em up with my bare hands. I couldnt stop the burning for hours an I treid salt water, milk, ice water.....Supposed to be the hottest pepper in the world.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:32 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I'm still searching and collecting.

Thailand has what are called Thai Dragons, but Encho tells me that in south america they have what are called "Chirelito's" which are really tiny heart shaped peppers that you can dang near weld iron with!

Old 03-28-2006, 08:21 AM
uemf
Senior User
Hey Greywolf, I found some Pequin's packaged up at a local grocery store. They're the fresh green peppers, I don't know if they will grow or not. I'm going to dry some ... and toss some out in the side yard and see if any will grow.
Send me a private message with your address and I'll ship some your way! It's only a couple o' bucks for them.

Tony

Old 03-28-2006, 09:48 AM
Antacus
Elder User
I also think that the level of heat varies pretty wide from pepper to pepper. I have had some jalipenos that I was wondering if they were even on the sandwich. Then I have some that actually had a little kick. Same thing with the habaneros. My GF likes to use some peppers she gets from an asian market and they have a good level of heat, kind of between a jalipeno and a habanero. Not sure what they are called though.

Check those little corner asian markets, you can find all kinds of weird things in there

Old 03-29-2006, 03:57 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I know that's right. Peppers can also vary from one end to the other -
First time I grew long red cayennes I took a nibble off the bottom of one and decided it had no heat at all, so I gobbled the whole thing...

A minute later I was flying for the refridgerator!!!

(Never drink a beer to cool down a hot pepper- TRUST ME on that'n...)

Thai peppers seem to come in a couple of varieties. Thai poinsettias grow in bunches on the plant (I'm trying them this year), Thai hots, and Thai Dragons might or might not be the same pepper - I don't know. I got some seeds for Thai hots (Prik Ki Nue) from a TN member and they are almost dried enough to sprout. Once I get some peppers if any Y'all want a few to dry and try sprouting let me know by PM.

I'm planning one heck of a pepper farm for someone just doing it as a hobby!

By the way - I'm fixin' to take Tony up on his offer. What USCG did was wrap the peppers he sent in a paper towel, put it in a ziplock bag, and mail it in a big envelope - they got here in about 5 days.

Something else - if you like horseradish, look in those little oriental markets for small green cans of powdered "WASABE" (Japanese Horseradish). THAT stuff will definitely take your breath away!!! You mix it with some water and let it stand about five minutes. Taste only a very little bit the first time around - I expect it will suprise you...

Here's a pair of "Pepper Head" websites for hot pepper fans, one of them I just ordered a free catalog of rare peppers from:

http://www.pepperjoe.com (Catalog)

http://www.bikerbilly.com (Biker Billy cooks with FIRE!)

Last edited by Greywolf; 03-29-2006 at 04:47 PM.