Could low temps & B20 cause this???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 02:34 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Could low temps & B20 cause this???

I've been running B20 in my PSD for about 10 months now and love it. This past week I was out of town and my truck sat in the driveway for 9 days. Yesterday morning was 25 degrees outside when I cranked my truck. Here's what happened:

Cycled glow plugs 2 times at about a minute and a half each.
3rd glow plug cycle I cranked after wait to start light went out, truck turned but would not catch.
Cycled the glow plugs again for another minute, then cranked.
Engine caught after a few seconds but ran extremely rough and puked a single cloud of greyish/black smoke.
After the glow plugs cycled off, high idle kicked in and engine still ran rough.
About 2 minutes of idling and 15 minutes of driving and the truck smoothed out to normal.
Hasn't been that cold since and I haven't had a single problem either.

I didn't have the normal symptoms of bad glow plugs or a relay, there was absolutely no white smoke whatsoever, just that single puff of greyish/black smoke and that's it.

I'm wondering if at 25 degrees if it's possible for B20 to get a little soupy? This is my first winter with bio-blend and my truck has never cranked like this before.

Old 02-14-2006, 05:30 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
I've been running B20 in my PSD for about 10 months now and love it. This past week I was out of town and my truck sat in the driveway for 9 days. Yesterday morning was 25 degrees outside when I cranked my truck. Here's what happened:

Cycled glow plugs 2 times at about a minute and a half each.
3rd glow plug cycle I cranked after wait to start light went out, truck turned but would not catch.
Cycled the glow plugs again for another minute, then cranked.
Engine caught after a few seconds but ran extremely rough and puked a single cloud of greyish/black smoke.
After the glow plugs cycled off, high idle kicked in and engine still ran rough.
About 2 minutes of idling and 15 minutes of driving and the truck smoothed out to normal.
Hasn't been that cold since and I haven't had a single problem either.

I didn't have the normal symptoms of bad glow plugs or a relay, there was absolutely no white smoke whatsoever, just that single puff of greyish/black smoke and that's it.

I'm wondering if at 25 degrees if it's possible for B20 to get a little soupy? This is my first winter with bio-blend and my truck has never cranked like this before.
I for one find it hard to believe that it could be caused by B-20. I've been using B-80 the last 2 winters with no problems at all. Sounds more like some water in the filter. I would change the filter first and look at the junk that comes out of it. FABMANDELUX.

Old 02-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok, I just wanted to make sure. We've had a very mild winter here and 25 degrees is the coldest that I have cranked my truck up this year. This morning was just above freezing and it started up without a problem. The fuel filter is fairly new, but I'll drain the bowl and see if I get any water out of there.