92 4.0 with a rattle

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 11:48 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts
92 4.0 with a rattle

I have a 92 ranger with the 4.0 and for sometime now it has what sounds like a rattle at certain rpm ranges. Not the knock sound like when you lug an engine down, but like a vibration rattle that starts around 2200 rpm and goes up around 27-2800. It doesn't matter if you are accelerating/pulling through that range or if the rpms are coming back down through it, like coasting after letting of the throttle. From inside the cab it sounds like it is at the back of the engine of kind of in the dash. Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:56 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Does it only do it while driving, or can you make it do it while sitting still and reving it up to that RPM range? If so, then you should be able to pop the hood and track it down while working the throttle by hand.

Is it maybe coming from undrneath the truck, like maybe the cat. conv. heat shield is loose, or is it definitely in the engine? Light, buzzy sort of rattle or deeper, knocking sound?

From what you say, I would look around the back of the engine at the firewall, just grab on to things and try to move them, see if you've got something loose there. (Wear gloves if the engine's hot!)

Old 01-25-2006, 10:08 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

I have been meaning to try this for quite a while but never remember until I am driving it. The sound is more of the light buzzy rattle but sounds like it is the engine or maybe dash. Could be something loose on firewall but doesn't seem to stop or be intermitent if I hit bumps. Maybe electrical interferance but it is not over the radio because i can turn it off and still hear it. I am wondering if it could be somehow related to cam shaft?

Old 01-26-2006, 04:13 AM
PW01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the heat shields on your cats!

Old 01-29-2006, 08:18 PM
edhill4
Trailering
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have a '97 Expl 4x4 with the 4.0SOHC. Your description of rattle sounds like my engine. I got my Expl last summer with 109XXX on it. About a month after owning it, it started the noise, in similar RPM range you describe, but on mine I haven't really noticed it on decel. I immediately suspected valve train noise. Changed oil, noise subsided. After around 3-4 thousand mi. on oil change, noise starts up again. Again with the fresh oil, noise subsides. I have around 115XXX on it now, and as long as the oil is fresh, it's inaudible. I'm guessing I have a lifter that's not staying oiled up like it should, and fresh oil helps? Whatever it is, it definitely seems dependent on the oil condition.

Old 02-12-2006, 12:41 PM
bizest
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Possible Solution!

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I couldn't help but reply to this immediately. Coincidentally, my Ranger ('01, 4.0L) is in the shop RIGHT NOW. The symptons you described are EXACTLY what mine was doing. They tracked it down to my timing chain (ouch). I'm getting a new Jack Shaft Kit installed tomorrow, costing me over $1000.00 (ouch again).

This rattling first happened only every once in a while. But it got worse, to where it was doing it 100% of the time. The dealer told me that it's a damn good thing I brought it in. Because the timing chain was well on it's way to basically flying off. And that... well, I don't even want to think about it.

Now, a little about me: I don't know too much about engines at all. But, I like my Ranger and am trying to learn. So if I said anything above that didn't sound exactly correct, I apologize. I'm going off of what my dealer told me, and I trust them.

Hope this helps! And in my opinion, you better get that checked out ASAP.

Old 02-12-2006, 12:55 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome bizest to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords.

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 02-13-2006, 02:17 AM
NorthPac
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 93 4.0 and have the same rattle as you, I don't have a tac so.. it happens at speeds of about 50 mph on mine, what I have guessed is its in the engine I have checked every place else for the cause of the rattle. It sounds like jangling noise, my guess the timing chain? It had been doing it ever since I owned the truck now for 2 years. I hope it’s not as bad as bizest timing chain? I never heard of a Ranger losing a timing chain because of the rattle? I heard newer Rangers have a timing chain rattle but later ones I never have read anything on it you are the first. Wildstang I think we have a different kind of a timing chain rattle then the newer 4.0 engines because are rattle happens only at a certain rpm’s that’s different from the newer 4.0 rattle"?????"

Old 02-13-2006, 08:52 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

I don't think it is in the front of the engine, sounds like back or mabey something in the dash that vibrates at certian engine rpm frequencies and doen't matter what the speed is, just the rpm. My wife drove it one day a couple of weeks ago and the rattle seemed to of dissappeared for a couple of days. Maybe I don't beat the **** out of it enough. I still haven't gotten under the hood to listen for it yet. But I can't rule out timing chain until I know what it is.