Notices
Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

98 4.0 Rattle

Old 05-02-2014, 11:12 AM
MauleOne
Elder User
MauleOne is starting off with a positive reputation.
98 4.0 Rattle

My new to me 98 4.0 has an rattle in the engine when at idle. It sounds like valve clearance. Engine has 92K on it.

I thought these were hydraulic lifter engines. If so then the lifters are worn, if not then something else is wrong.

Any ideas?

Old 05-02-2014, 12:21 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Rockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to behold
You might be hearing the "marbling" sound that '98+ Ford 4.0L OHV engines are prone to.

See: Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - 4.0L V6 engine noise

Old 05-03-2014, 09:06 AM
pawpaw
pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
I've had the full series of things happen to me, that cause a "marble noise" condition in my 99 4.0L that I'm still driving.
Read through all of this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ohv-noise.html & see if any sound like they fit your noise & if so, consider trying the two things I currently do to keep my 99 pushrod 4.0L CCDI marbling & noise after an oil change, Quiet & let us know what you find & how it goes!!!!

Old 05-04-2014, 01:16 PM
MauleOne
Elder User
MauleOne is starting off with a positive reputation.
Engine Noise

Thanks for the responses.

I am presently in Alaska and drove up here through Canada.

My Ranger is parked until the 28th when I get off work and plan to drive back to Washington.

I will change the oil and filter before I start the drive.

I hope the 2500 mile drive home doesn't damage the engine any more than it already is.

I will have to put off any work on the engine until I get home.

Thanks again.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:42 PM
Voisj
New User
Voisj is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine had the same rattle noise and it turned out the dipstick tube was misaligned, and apparently just hitting something slightly,put your finger on it during idle and see if you can feel anything

Old 05-04-2014, 03:09 PM
pawpaw
pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Ford says the marble noise doesn't shorten engine life in their expierence.

It's just irritating to listen to. So, when you change the oil up there, drain & refill the oil pan first, on the pan drain, no need to wait any longer that it beginning to drip. Prefill the new filter completely, remove the old filter & without delay install the new one. Disable the fuel pump by tripping the in cabin inertia switch, or disconnecting the inertia switch electrical connector, so the engine won't start & crank the engine until the oil pressure light goes out. Reinable the fuel pump & start the engine to check for leaks & listen for the marble noise. It'll begin in about 20-30 seconds if the above routine isn't followed & may in my expierence last from 3-4 days, to as long as two weeks. If its CCDI, a 20oz dose of Techron Concentrate Plus in the tank before filling & doing some spirited driving for 2-3 miles with rpm at or above 3500, will usually tidy up the combustion chamber.

Chevron, Texaco, CalTex & now Shell have some PEA in their fuel ad pack, so if we use them along with a 20oz dose of Techron, it'll raise the treat rate 10X above that of pump gas alone & with the spirited driving, will usually tidy things up in one tank if CCDI is the problem.

There have been reports of oil filters causing some engine noise, so use the specified Motorcraft FL-1A oil filter & the specified 5W-30 oil, as our 4.0L engine oil pump never got upgraded to be able to pump enough volume when using the lower viscosity 5W-20 oil at hot/operating engine temp, so we're not to use 5W-20 in the 4.0L

More thoughts for consideration. Let us know how it goes.