Georgia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: ChiefM SPONSORED BY:

I Promise.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 10:56 PM
berkad
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Promise.

I spend a lot of time on FTE, (as my wife's crazy cat chases it's tail, under my feet, for the 706,342 time this hour) I am sorry, this forum is way, way ,way down the page.

I decided today. I was going to start here and work my way beyond. So, I am going to cross a line and ask something of you before you get to know me. I know you, so I feel comfortable in asking a favor.

My beautiful bride and i love to hike. Life has gotten in the way, but we are going to start again. We love waterfalls, swamps and trails of all kinds. We are not afraid to travel to "Walk" in this beautiful state we live in.

We have spent a lot of time in the mountains of North Georgia. I have been fortunate to drive through most every region in Georgia. I have never had the time to truley take in the sites.

My wife (Chicago) and I (Virginia. Appalachian American or Hill Billy) Love it here. Help me plan our weekend trips this spring and summer. Help me plan my visit to your neck of the woods.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 02-10-2006, 02:33 PM
4xcrazy
Senior User
I guess since you've already been in the North Georgia mountians you might know this. Up here in Murray county there's alot of trials, ranging from easy couple of hours to the more experinced over night hikes . Fort Mountian state park has several trials within it's boundaires,some of which take you to an old stone tower or a great overlook, at the overlook on good clear days you can see for several miles. There's also the Cohutta Lodge just a few miles from the entrance of the park, it offers great views of the top and east side of fort mtn. and serves meals. And in the north end of the county bordering the TN. state line are trials at Jacks river, which offer camping on the trial. I recomend if you go there take extra care, as conditions can rapidly change. I've grown up here and was taught to respect the mtns for they can be your best friend or your worst enemy. But anyway come visit and enjoy a couple of weekends here, I think you will enjoy it..

Old 02-10-2006, 04:03 PM
3broncocrazy
Postmaster
south ga has swamps, north ga is where you want to be for site/hikes..IMHO

Old 02-13-2006, 10:19 PM
berkad
Posting Guru
4xcrazy, I grew up in the mountains of Virginia, I know what you mean. Sounds good. We will check out your suggestions.

3bronco, I have been thinking about the swamps, sounds great to me. We have freinds from Waycross. They and you have been an inspiration to get down there. Thanks guys.

I hope more people chime in, Georgia has a great history, I grew up in Virginia and had the opportunity to live in the Washington DC area while working for the Federal Government and have seen more than most could dream of.

The history here in Georgia is as great as Virginia. We have plans to visit most of this state, but are looking for your home town views. Where we should go and see. Not what the Chamber of Commerce recommends.

Details, have lunch here, Check this out. Thanks for you help. I'll look for your FTE sticker in the back window when we come to your hometown.

Steve

Old 02-14-2006, 02:07 PM
3broncocrazy
Postmaster
If ya comin' down south.......better do it now before the blood suckin' state bird comes out...

We do have some great state parks close by..

Old 02-14-2006, 10:51 PM
hotrodford87
Senior User
You should try a canoe trip through the Okefenokee Swamp in early Spring. Some friends and I used to do it every year. Put in at the Swamp entrance just South of Folkston, GA and paddle/pole through to Steven Foster Memorial Park which is in Fargo, FL. It's about a 30 mile trip but there are stop-offs along the wat and it takes 3 days and 2 nights.

Really breath-taking scenery. Just don't wait too late and have to battle the mosquitos...you'll lose, I promise.

Old 02-15-2006, 05:54 PM
berkad
Posting Guru
That is perfect. Gonna look into that one. Anyone rent canoes near the start?

Old 02-15-2006, 08:09 PM
hotrodford87
Senior User
Yep, they rent canoes at both parks. I'm not sure if you can rent in one park and leave it in the other, but what we did was leave a vehicle @ Stepen Foster State Park in Fargo the day before we were to put in @ the Folkston entrance. When we came out 3 days later, we loaded up the canoes and headed home. Of course they have several different tours...day trip, overnight and the 3 day, 2 night like we did.

FYI. If it's like it used to be, it's really tough to get reservations. Especially prime time...warm enough to be comfortable but cool enough that there aren't many bugs. In the past, they only booked 30 days in advance. They open @7am and usually by 7:15 they are booked right up to the 30th day. My advice would be to decide when you are going and get on the horn early. The bugs are not to be underestimated!! I'd prefer to pack some extra clothes for the cooler season than fight the bugs. The only advantage to the warmer months is more 'gator viewing.

If you like, pm me and I'll give you my number and can give you some other advice as to what to pack and prepare for. It truly is an experience and it's not so taxing that it takes a triathlete to complete.

Randy