Disc brakes on a ford 8.8?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 05:33 PM
JakeTheSnake
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disc brakes on a ford 8.8?

Hi, i want to put disc brakes on my 8.8 rear out of a 92 explorer. I have a pair of brand new rotors and calibers that were for a 88 bronco II for the front. Is there any way i could take these front rotors and calibers from the front of the bronco II and make it go on the 8.8 rear in replacement for the drums. Thank you for any help and or opinions. Have a good day.

Old 02-07-2006, 07:42 PM
RTM
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
It would be much easier to just buy the correct 8.8 axle from an Explorer that already has the disk brakes which I have at the shop. Not sure if one can swap the rear disk set up to a non disk brake axle or not? It could save one on shipping a complete axle by just buying the outer parts.

As for fabbing the front parts to the rear. It can be done but keep in mind that almost every rear disk brake set up you look at the rears will have a much smaller caliper and this is for a reason. the rears do not need as much stopping power as the front do and if one is to add that much braking force to the rear then the rear brakes will always want to lock up first. Of course adding an adjutable prop valve will help tune things but the approach is all wrong. You would also loose your rear e-brake set up.

So the cost of fabbing parts to make front parts fit will far out cost the cost of buying the parts that fit and tose in the time it would take to fab the parts up need to mount everything and it just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Keep in mind that rear disk brakes have a different MC and prop valve than a disk/drum set up does. These two items should be replaced with the correct parts as well if one wants the best of the disk/disk set up.