Crap

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 07:03 PM
A_G
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crap

Great...Just great.

I started up to drive to the house one over, i live on a farm, so about a mile. And its making this horrible sound. Considerable to a soup can after its been drained and your smacking it on the table and scraping it along the table. So i get to work. Kill the motor. leave the lights on. as its dark. Get to work. an hour goes by, i start up the truck to recharge the battery. Its making this horrible sound again. But louder. Pop the hood. Sounds like a pulley. or something comeing from the front. I called pops. shut off the truck. Got back towork. Another hour goes by. I leave to get some food back at the house. Its even worse. And not very good power. I leave it running when i got to the house. Went got pops, He comes out and i have the hood popped. He thinks its the water pump.

Its got this liquid sound to it. Kinda like a soda machine when you filling your cup up. And its that rattling sound.

What could it be?

Goose

ps. 1997 ford f150 xtnd cab, xlt 4.6l triton v8. Approximatly 210,000 (Guage says 180 but we've been running biggest tire on the truck for about a year or two now)

Old 02-02-2006, 09:59 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
you can normally take a wood dowel or a long screw drive and stick the point on the water pump, then alternator, then idler pulley, etc. touch the handle or oposite end to your ear and you will hear a dull rumble if the bearings are o.k., and a squeel if the bearing is bad. narrow it down that way. normally a water pump will leak water if it has other problems. consider the alternator and idler pulley bearings as potential.