6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Big problem-no solution from the Dealer or Ford

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 10:53 PM
tconner
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Big problem-no solution from the Dealer or Ford

I have a 2004 F250 w/ 6.0 diesel. My wife uses it primarily to haul her 3 horse trailer some pretty long distances. It now has 30,500 miles on it. About 9 months ago the problem started. With the transmission in the tow/haul position and 2 or 3 horses in the trailer when you go over 60 miles per hour and try to go up a hill it begins to surge and drag (it feels like someone has a hold on the bumper and is pulling it back and forth) and she isn't sure she's going to make it up the hill. Black smoke pours out the exhaust.

It only happens sometimes and she may drive 2 or 3 hours before it happens. If she lets off the gas and gets below 60 it stops. If no trailer or a smaller trailer(1 Horse) it doesn't do it.
So far the dealers chief mechanic has updated the software and more recently replaced the ERG? valve. Since I can't ask them to test it by hooking up the trailer with 3 horses and have them drive up and down hills fo 3 hours they seem to be giving up. I'm not sure if the ERG valve replacement worked since my wife is half afraid to use it.

What do you think might be the problem

Last edited by IB Tim; 02-02-2006 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:39 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

Must read if you own a 6.0
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=325000

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords.

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 02-02-2006, 07:03 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,425 Likes on 2,109 Posts
Well hook up to the trailer and go for it. Can't fix what isn't broke. Your service tech can data log the truck if it happens again.

Old 02-02-2006, 07:39 AM
BillWoeb
Junior User
I am taking my 2004 6 speed 2wd XL in for that today...

I have the EGR and TB unplugged and I watched the boost gauge as it would sometimes show 24 psi at WOT, others 5, sometimes 10 and black smoke would pour out.

I asked some diesel techs I know and they stated it was the VGT actuator on the turbo.

I will post what happens to my truck...

BillWoeb

Old 02-02-2006, 11:38 AM
dPrasse01
Senior User
Had the same thing ...

pulling a hill with a trailer behind ... the truck would lose power and the turbo would just take off and scream , like it was just free-wheeling ... if I didn't back off the throttle , I could hear the sound of "bearings going dry" ... back off the throttle and back into the throttle and the turbo would make an "engaging" sound similar to a bad tranny slopping into gear ... Most of the time , the engine water temps would go to "Hot" at the same time ...

egr will not fix it ....

Does she also hear the turbo "scream" ...

Sounds like turbo problem ...

my local dealer and 2 different dealers could not find a problem , either ... just sold the beast back , I messed with it for over 40,000 miles (about 2 months) with no help from 3 different dealers and now that it was out of warranty , I did not need a turbo failure bill after a $4,000 tranny bill ...

I feel for your wife and understand her hesitation to hit the open road with the truck ...

Old 02-02-2006, 08:15 PM
smokin_6.0
Senior User
I'm having the same problem tconner. This will happen to me pulling my 30 ft. camper or running at wot then letting off and trying to accelerate again. If i coast a little then accelerate it will build boost fast like normal. If not it will build about 5 psi and quit pulling. They put a new vgt solenoid on my truck yesterday and it did not fix it. Not to say thats not whats wrong with your truck because they are known to go out. Read my thread frustrated with my 6.0 ohh Do you run an airfilter or any aftermarket components?

Good Luck

Old 02-02-2006, 11:07 PM
tconner
New User
Thanks for all your input but still no answer??

Old 02-02-2006, 11:47 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Every time I get to trusting the 6.0 again, I either experience a 6.0 failure or hear of someone (usually first hand in person) that has had thier's fail.

This is a new one on me. I'll ask my Ford tech friend at the firehouse. BTW-He said that if anything is wrong with a 6.0, they swap the EGR right away.

Mike

Old 02-07-2006, 09:17 AM
turboglide
Senior User
I had the same problem with mine and it would do it with or without the trailer. The computer showed codes for the EGR so they replaced it. Within 1 day the problem was back. It ended up being the actuator ring that the VGT is attatched to had worn into the turbo and would stick. The new turbo has been working fine but I heard somewhere in this site that they are working on a new set-up for this because the replacement one has the same design fault. My truck had 19k when it failed. It would also stick in the fully actuated position and pop out of the air cleaner. They say that can damage the head gaskets too. I just hope I get more than 19k out of this turbo!

Old 02-07-2006, 11:08 AM
BillWoeb
Junior User
My truck is at the dealer now. Code P0299 (low boost) was tripped and the culprit is the VGT actuator. I don't know if the whole turbo gets replaced or the new actuator. I learned that the surface where the VGT vanes are proximate gets machined in the new version to eliminate the interference caused by high temp oxidation/carbon buildup which causes the sticking.

Mine would stick under two conditions -- very cold and very hot. I got not enough boost at times (5-15 psi @or above 2000 rpm) or wayy too much (35 psi).

So, we will see what happens.

What is troubling is that it does this with a stock calibration....

BillWoeb

Old 02-07-2006, 11:41 AM
turboglide
Senior User
My truck had the same problems you described. I always remove my "Edge" system before it goes to the dealer. The only way to fix it is to replace the turbo. I hope the one the dealer uses is the updated version and not one they had for a while.

Old 02-07-2006, 12:19 PM
BassCat
Junior User
Originally Posted by BillWoeb
I don't know if the whole turbo gets replaced or the new actuator. I learned that the surface where the VGT vanes are proximate gets machined in the new version to eliminate the interference caused by high temp oxidation/carbon buildup which causes the sticking.
The 05 turbos were recessed and smooth machined as you have stated. This was done to help resolve "turbo flutter" experienced with pre-05 turbos. My experience with sticking vanes in my 04 were due to rust more so than carbon. Anyone having a replacement turbo should be sure they are getting a 05-06 turbo 5C3Z6K682-CA.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:31 PM
tconner
New User
Smile Big problem--Perhaps a solution!!!

Thanks for your help. I'm off to the dealer to see if it's the vgt actuator. Wish me luck.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Justforfishing
Senior User
Originally Posted by turboglide
My truck had the same problems you described. I always remove my "Edge" system before it goes to the dealer. The only way to fix it is to replace the turbo. I hope the one the dealer uses is the updated version and not one they had for a while.
Has the dealer ever been suspicious of the edge?

Old 02-07-2006, 08:28 PM
Griesel
New User
BassCat,
So, to fix the "turbo flutter" you must replace the turbo? I have an 04 with a LOUD flutter, even the guys at the dealership say its the loudest they have seen. But it seems like they are blowing me off, no pun intended....
They even told me it was a wastegate issue, which I know the 6.0L dont have...
Also I heard that there was a TSB to fix the flutter???
Thanks

Quick Reply: Big problem-no solution from the Dealer or Ford