1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

ABS Headliner

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 02:55 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ABS Headliner

I just checked with Mid- fifties on a headliner kit for my truck. They recommend going with the ABS headliner. One is smooth and the other has a design. They claim it simply pops in the edges of the roof and no retainer clips are used. The panel can be upholstered also. Has anyone installed one of these kits, and was it difficult? I'm planning on having my upholsterer install this next week. He wants me to buy the cardboard kit so he can cover it with material and install it. I'm wondering if I can do this kit myself?

Old 02-01-2006, 03:18 PM
klatt_89
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just seen one of those in a early 50's F-100 come into the shop here, it was done at another interior shop and the weight from the upholstery had bowed out the clips. I would advise that you put velcro in the middle to keep the center up and put metal clips in place of the abs ones. Make sure the upholsterer knows what he/she is doing, and gets the material glued up right. I hope this helps, ask more questions and i'l try and help you.

Old 02-01-2006, 03:24 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Klatt 89- Mid fifties stated that there was no clips? it just fits into the ridge of the headliner. Supposedly, the girl I spoke with on the phone stated that her and a few female friends installed the headliner in a 56 in about 5-10 minutes? Maybe this is a different headliner than you saw? They said they have a ton of the cardboard headliners that are ruined because they kink easily and are very difficult to install.

Old 02-01-2006, 03:28 PM
klatt_89
Elder User
I'm not sure, but the clips on this one basically keep it up by attaching to the metal rail around the edge. You just push it up in and it's in, I'm not sure though, depends on the design, do you have a pic of the ABS headliner? The cardboard ones do kink easy and well, i'm not sure on the install difficulty, things in my opinion may be different to someone else with less experience.

Old 02-01-2006, 03:59 PM
f1fordguy
Senior User
I bought an ABS headliner for my 48 and tried a DIY. Failed miserably--dang thing didn't fit right. Also my upholster job was butt ugly. Too many curves to glue the material on without some sort of "wrinkle". I think I am going the stock route and have a pro fancy it up. Also the super duty velcro stuff would NOT stick to the cab interior. Screws would help a bunch!!

Tim

Old 02-01-2006, 04:20 PM
theGman
Posting Guru
I had a 3 piece abs I installed in a F100; was the single most difficult item I ever installed in the truck. Maybe this new 1 piece design makes it all good.

Paul

Old 02-01-2006, 04:43 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would be interested in some more feedback on this, it sounds like a good idea

Old 02-01-2006, 04:51 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
If you take a couple of months and do some careful planning (with the appropriate amounts of frosty beverages to help the process) and then try and install this on a bright warm sunny spring day it might go easier.
Old man sunshine might be a big help with the pliability of the thing.

Bobby

Old 02-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the one piece Roddoors headliner in my 53. It was a piece of cake to install, BUT, it is not upholstered. Although it seems to have allowance on the edge for material. I know it seems odd to not have covered it, but I decided to leave it all uncovered for now. It has a similar appearance to what was in the early Mustangs. I used all the Roddoors stuff and kind of like this look. I'm sure with time it will get scratched and scuffed and I will cover it then. Joe

Old 02-01-2006, 05:37 PM
klatt_89
Elder User
The upholsterer can get the material into the curves if he/she knows what they are doing and if it is the right material. Just depends on if you take it to the right shop. If we get pics of this one, i'll post em and let ya know how hard it was to do.

Old 02-01-2006, 05:53 PM
kdmcinnes
Elder User
Everyone I have talked to here in Ind that have the ABS said that they love it and that it was simple to do.

Kyle

Old 02-01-2006, 10:00 PM
fatfords
Elder User
Ed,
'Fenders did a detailed write-up on the Rod Doors three piece install a couple of years ago. It might be good ready for reference. Here's one of the threads, although I think there are more.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=95088
I talked to a guy at the last Good-Guys show-he had used the one piece (I think it is also from Rod Doors, but not 100% sure) and covered it with a faux leather and it looked really nice. It had a slightly padded feel to it, but I think that was due to the uphostry material. He said it was held in with the normal seal and the rear window seals. It looked really nice. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics of that one.
Good Luck,
Kent

Old 02-02-2006, 09:35 AM
f1fordguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by f1fordguy
I bought an ABS headliner for my 48 and tried a DIY. Failed miserably--dang thing didn't fit right. Also my upholster job was butt ugly. Too many curves to glue the material on without some sort of "wrinkle". I think I am going the stock route and have a pro fancy it up. Also the super duty velcro stuff would NOT stick to the cab interior. Screws would help a bunch!!

Tim
For the record, mine was also a Roddoors one piece. The thing simply would not fit right and was impossible to cover, at least by a novice.

Old 02-02-2006, 01:36 PM
klatt_89
Elder User
Originally Posted by f1fordguy
For the record, mine was also a Roddoors one piece. The thing simply would not fit right and was impossible to cover, at least by a novice.
It needs to be test fitted first, and novices should not attempt to cover a headliner like the ABS ones. It is possible to cover one, but you have to know what you are doing and have experience.
I work at a upholstery shop for a guy who's been in business for 20 years so i do know it is possbile.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Sore Knuckles
Junior User
I installed an ASB from Rod Doors and was extremely happy with the installation and results. I had an Upholosterer install a gray tweed upholstery before the install. the headliner comes in 3 pieces and specifically stastates "Do Not Run the Upoholstery all the way to the edge. This allows the pats to slide together. Well... my upoholster told me that was wrong and begin expounding about his experience and his knowledge. At the risk of insulting his obvious big ego and having him doing a lousy job, I conceded to his experience. He completly upoholstered the pieces and wrapped the edges. Needless to say the thing would not fit together. I took a utility knife an trimmed off the material at the edges and it ended up looking real good. It does requre an extra pair of hands when installing. Mostly to hold installed parts in place and keeping things aligned.

Hump

Quick Reply: ABS Headliner