6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

LPOP Problems 2005 SD SC FX4 6.0 PSD

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 06:29 PM
rjones9951
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LPOP Problems 2005 SD SC FX4 6.0 PSD

My knowkedge of the 6.0 PSD is very limited and I really appreciate any help you could lend.
I know there is some real knowledge of the 6.0 PSD out here and I need to pick your brains. My truck shut down while accelerating up to hwy speed this past Saturday and had to be towed to a local dealer where it has remained since. Originally they told me the HPOP had failed on it. After 3 days and still no fuel to injectors they finally found that one of the injectors had broken or came apart and wound up in the LPOP and cut a large groove in the impeller. They say this caused the LPOP to not supply oil up to the HPOP. They showed me the impeller and it did have a large groove running approximately 80% of the area around. Several months back I was towing a TT home from the mountains and heard a crunching sound from the front of the truck and couldn't find anything wrong and the engine did not loose power. I chalked it up to maybe running over a tortoise or something in the road. Could this have been when the injector gave up the ghost and finally just recently made it's way into the LPOP?

My questions to you are.
1 - Could this have caused any damage to the bearings or other oil necessary components?
2 - If it is possible for an injector to come apart wouldn't/shouldn't there be a sump screen to stop the parts/pieces from reaching the LPOP since this could possibly happen numerous times with faulty injectors?
3 - Has anyone heard of this happening before?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by IB Tim; 01-19-2006 at 05:44 AM.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:44 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:41 PM
Tim Decker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im havingLPOP issues.its not filling filter housing.pulled lpop regulator or ck valve.does the sleeve come out of bore..moved it with finger but couldnt get any oil to come out .a few drops when i pulled it.theres pressure on spring when i pulled it.is there a chance this could interrupt oil flow to filter housing.im getting no low pr oil flow .truck quit and no start .

Old 01-22-2014, 06:52 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones9951
My knowkedge of the 6.0 PSD is very limited and I really appreciate any help you could lend.
I know there is some real knowledge of the 6.0 PSD out here and I need to pick your brains. My truck shut down while accelerating up to hwy speed this past Saturday and had to be towed to a local dealer where it has remained since. Originally they told me the HPOP had failed on it. After 3 days and still no fuel to injectors they finally found that one of the injectors had broken or came apart and wound up in the LPOP and cut a large groove in the impeller. They say this caused the LPOP to not supply oil up to the HPOP. They showed me the impeller and it did have a large groove running approximately 80% of the area around. Several months back I was towing a TT home from the mountains and heard a crunching sound from the front of the truck and couldn't find anything wrong and the engine did not loose power. I chalked it up to maybe running over a tortoise or something in the road. Could this have been when the injector gave up the ghost and finally just recently made it's way into the LPOP?

My questions to you are.
1 - Could this have caused any damage to the bearings or other oil necessary components?
2 - If it is possible for an injector to come apart wouldn't/shouldn't there be a sump screen to stop the parts/pieces from reaching the LPOP since this could possibly happen numerous times with faulty injectors?
3 - Has anyone heard of this happening before?

Thanks in advance!
I cannot make the connection between an injector tip breaking off and making it to the LPOP as it would never make it through the screen that is on the oil pickup tube. That being said they ( LPOP ) have been known to ingest needle bearing pieces from failed lifters. There may be other sources of debris damaging the LPOP but I am not sure what they would be.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:03 PM
05F250DSL
Fleet Mechanic
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
If it was an injector you would have had immediate power lose and carnage. There is no direct path for an injector tip to get to the oil pan. It will mangle the piston top and valves and cylinders pretty good tho. It's not a pretty sight when they come apart. I guess if it lunched a hole they the piston it could get in the pan but you would know something was happening. Now a needle bearing I could see.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:04 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Decker
Im havingLPOP issues.its not filling filter housing.pulled lpop regulator or ck valve.does the sleeve come out of bore..moved it with finger but couldnt get any oil to come out .a few drops when i pulled it.theres pressure on spring when i pulled it.is there a chance this could interrupt oil flow to filter housing.im getting no low <acronym title="Page Ranking">pr</acronym> oil flow .truck quit and no start .
The piston shaped piece does. Here is a write up that may help you.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-write-up.html