N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Our jobs

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 09:53 PM
davethecow
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our jobs

Somtimes in a group inviroment such as this,its good to know the occupation of other members of the group.I find it easier to ask somone about a subject if that person has first hand experience.
Im not trying to embaris enybody,I dont care if your unemployed.Maybe life thru you a curve,Its ok.Were not here to judge each other,just to learn from each other.
Ill take the first step.This was my job for 15 years until dec.3.

Old 01-18-2006, 09:47 AM
bryyce62
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hat's off to you Dave.
Last 25 years as an electronics tech, 22 in the semiconductor industry. Bay area transplant from Oregon.

Rock on!

b62

Old 01-18-2006, 11:07 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dave (aka Neil), is it true you just need to lead 'em a little? (I hope you saw the movie or that might sound harsh).
Fireman for 27 years now. Hopefully will be able to retire some day and go into either another job or establish self employment with a real cool boss, ME. It's been a good ride so far but the thrill is gone these days. Don't think I'll ever regret my choice of career, which is something alot of folks aren't blessed to be able to say. I suppose I was lucky. I feel kinda proud of my contributions. By looking at your photo, I think you know what I mean.
Tim

Old 01-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts
I just started working in a machine shop. Got sick of the Silicon Valley rat race. Ever see Office Space? I think I worked there. Now it's just me and my friend with a few CNC tools and a lot of good contacts. Mostly, we make parts for the semiconductor equipment industry. We get between $100 and $500 an hour for turning the parts. Long hours but it sure is fun and I'm back to learning again.

Old 01-18-2006, 09:19 PM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

Jon here.

I am a maintenance Manager for one of the largest milk COOP in California. Worked for Foster Farms for 17 years mostly as a mechanic and worked my way into management and than moved over to California Dairies in 1998. Love my job love what I do and work for a great company.
Learned my trade from the worlds best teacher my father.
Wish he was still around I don't think he taught me all he knew.

Company web site californiadairies.com. I work at the Turlcok plant.

Jon Sylvia aka jd

Old 01-18-2006, 11:13 PM
redneckbrat
Junior User
I used to do phone support for computers, now doing deskside, have learned a whole lot and tons more to learn.

Old 01-19-2006, 02:23 AM
spudly55
New User
Hey Dave, were you Air Force or Army?

I was Air Force (462 under the old job listings) the first time we were over in Iraq.

Now I'm just a computer nerd in the valley.

Last edited by spudly55; 01-19-2006 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:39 AM
AnOldDog
Elder User
I also work for a semiconductor company, and also am a transplant from Oregon. Sounds like a couple of us might just work for the same company.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Sonoragoose
Freshman User
I fish. LOL

I worked for the Corps of Engs. for 15 years as an inspector. I helped build New Melones, Lake Sonoma, Cave Buttes(in Az.). I quit them for higher wages in the private sector doing the same job at San Onofre Nuc. Plant and then to the steam plants in Lake Co.
Now I'm retired and doing domestic duty while the wife works at a local hospital.

and I fish....................................

Old 01-19-2006, 06:06 PM
davethecow
Elder User
The anser to your question spudly is the NAVY,and i am still in,i just have a different job now.

My current posting has alot less exitement.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:08 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
I do pretty much what I can here and there. Still waiting to get back into working on either Hornets or KC-135s.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:45 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer
I do pretty much what I can here and there. Still waiting to get back into working on either Hornets or KC-135s.
Back in the day, when I was doing the wildland fire thing, I went to a fire called the Hornet Fire (1993) in the Fallon Nv area. This poor guy center punched a mountain mountain with his Hornet. I don't think you could have repaired this one. Little pieces was all that was left. Awsome aircraft though, as long as they're able to stay in the air.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:49 PM
davethecow
Elder User
We have had that happen a few times.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:46 PM
2000 excursion
Junior User
I work for a well drilling company in reno,nv. I have been doing it for five years now and still enjoy it.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:43 AM
grnburg
Freshman User
I did landscape maintenance for about 18 years, self-mployed for the last 13 of them. Had a '71 Chevy C10 w/ 250 inline 6 on propane, 200 miles after a rebuilt engine I t-boned a GM econobox that ran a redlight. Bent frame/totaled. Replaced it with a '72 F250, 4spd granny, 360 w/ RV cam. I could move cars out of my way without breaking an idle (and did once or twice in a pinch). The engine loom on that cooked one day and I'm waiting to bring it out of purgatory at in-laws to sell it. Now I work in a jail teaching recovery to addicts for the past6 years and picked up a Psych degree on the way. Just bought an '86 F350 dually crewcab, 6.9IDI, C6 w/ aux trans (wirescooked there too) in need of TLC for the engine but the last owner had replaced the AC, front suspensionand other things.

Too all you vets and those currently serving our country; Thank You for Keeping us safe here at home and for looking out for your comrades. God Bless You.