Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

i went for a test drive yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 04:49 AM
timberwolf-man
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i went for a test drive yesterday

well it really wasnt a test drive but i drove my buddy's 2004 gmc sierra 1500 4x4. witch would be my second choice of truck if i couldnt get a ford. and i have to say it is a nice smooth riding truck has a lot of get up and go. it had a very comfy and nice interior. i have to give it to gmc on those trucks they did a nice job. the whole truck is pretty solid the only thing is that his was a single cab and i would need more room than that. i have a 81 ford f150 and that is the only truck ive ever owned but there could be a future for a gmc in my driveway BUT i havnt drove the new f150 yet either. and dont plan on driving a do*ge. either way i go ford or gmc my 81 will always have a space in my driveway . ive also herd that the gmc is alot cheaper than the ford and thats gonna play a big role in what i get.what do yall think of the 04 gmc?? have yall herd bad stuff about the 04 gmc if so what?? and what is the good and bad on the 03-05 ford f150 4x4s?? thanx

Old 01-14-2006, 12:58 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
When I bought my 04 F150 4X4, I compared (all 4X4) Ford, Chevrolet, GMC and Toyota and the price was very close (but the Toyota wasn't nearly as well equipped). My brother had just repaired a new Ford at his body shop and warned me that if I drove one, I would buy one. I did and I did. The truck he had just fixed held up in the accident remarkably well and it destroyed the truck that hit it. Mine is a regular cab but with the extra space behind the sear and the extra doors, it has plenty of storage for groceries, luggage, etc. as long as you don't need to carry more than 3 people.

Old 01-14-2006, 08:20 PM
dodgeny
Senior User
just make sure you get one that doesn't have the vibration, sudden accelleration, or brakes applying by themselves issues-then you should be fine- dodge or chevy is looking alot better in the half ton trucks!

Old 01-15-2006, 05:01 AM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's amazing. Dodgeny, you are a troll.
I've never heard of the 'sudden acceleration' issues (most likely the affect of pressing the gas pedal harder ), or the brakes applying themselves. Never had any trouble with the '05 I've been around, and I've had the chances to absolutely beat the crap out of it, which I did. The vibration issue is non-existant on this one too. The drivetrain in the F-150's are solid as well. Great looking truck, and very capable.

The thing, and the extended cab sheet metal literally rippled. It rippled. Not very solid if you ask me.

Old 01-15-2006, 06:12 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgeny
just make sure you get one that doesn't have the vibration, sudden accelleration, or brakes applying by themselves issues-then you should be fine- dodge or chevy is looking alot better in the half ton trucks!
You have mail

Old 01-15-2006, 06:18 AM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Whoops, in my previous post, it's supposed to say,

"The '04 GMC extended cab GMC I was in felt very cheesy. When I closed the door, the sheet metal on the cab actually rippled."

I wish the edit option would last longer then an hr.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:36 PM
Snake1979
Elder User
The 2500 HD's that everyone here with a new truck was driving are Junk, IMO. I've worked at my dads body shop for a long time, and that framing is JUNK. I wished to use other words there. Aaron bumped his truck, and I do mean, bumped into a 2x4 that was mounted vertically into the ground, and bent the front bumper so badly, he couldn't turn it right without rubbing the wheel. Now, as far as a good ride, and quite, they are a good truck, but if I wanted that, I'd buy a car.

That said, the new 150 is a awesome truck, and we are getting those now instead of Chevies. They ride like a cadillac, with the suspension mounted outside of the frame, not on it, they are quite, and have all of the ammenities a guy could want, notice I didn't say your wife. There is plenty of cab room for the larger fellows like myself, without taking up the back seat. The only complaint I have is the bed, only a 5.5 foot or 6.5 foot, but there are higher walls.

Oh, did I mention a 5.4L in a new 150 will tow the same as a 2500 HD chevy?

Old 01-15-2006, 04:28 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
tow the same weight? or do you mean the same hp as a base HD? i am doubtfull here.

must have been a "heavy" bump or a strong 2X4. what is wrong with the frame?

BTW do you guys really think the seats in the new F150 (ie 2005+) are confortable. they are too hard for my liking but i think the trucks suspension does ride pretty nice and i agree that they are prolly the heaviest 1/2 truck on the market or right there with the 1500hd.

Old 01-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Snake1979
Elder User
Just your standard 2x4, about two foot into the ground. It didn't bend the frame, just the bumper down. Just a PPoor design. I'll put a Ford motor and tranny up against a chevy any day of the week. I think the only thing that his HD has, is two more shocks. Remember, "Built Ford Tough"

I acually think the HP rating was higher on his. Torque was about the same.

Oh, almost forgot, as my grandfather said, I don't buy a truck to be comfortable, I buy a truck to work. But I think the seats are fine.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:53 PM
edgl
Elder User
There is nothing wrong with Chevy or Ford. I have a 06 1500 Silverado, and a 06 F350 Super Duty work truck, and they both work good.
Ed G

Old 01-16-2006, 12:03 AM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
anyone that believes anything other than the above statement is really just dabating for fun.

i think the only exception to that rule is the 6.0.* other than that i really don't have any issues with either mechanically. it is more or less what you prefer.

Old 01-16-2006, 02:42 AM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Not exactly. They can both work well for certain things.

Things the 1500 GM are good for:

-grocery getting
-picking up the kids
-looking bad
-breaking easily

...I can't think of anything else that it would be good at.

Things the F-350 are good for:

-towing massive loads
-hauling massive loads
-superior offroad capabilities
-being the best looking (opinion)
-durability
-reliability
-capability
-power/efficiency

...the list goes on. Notice how he has an F-Series for a work truck?

Old 01-16-2006, 09:25 AM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
Originally Posted by Snake1979
Just your standard 2x4, about two foot into the ground. It didn't bend the frame, just the bumper down. Just a PPoor design. I'll put a Ford motor and tranny up against a chevy any day of the week. I think the only thing that his HD has, is two more shocks. Remember, "Built Ford Tough"

I acually think the HP rating was higher on his. Torque was about the same.

Oh, almost forgot, as my grandfather said, I don't buy a truck to be comfortable, I buy a truck to work. But I think the seats are fine.
But you just said:

Originally Posted by Snake1979
The 2500 HD's that everyone here with a new truck was driving are Junk, IMO. I've worked at my dads body shop for a long time, and that framing is JUNK. I wished to use other words there. Aaron bumped his truck, and I do mean, bumped into a 2x4 that was mounted vertically into the ground, and bent the front bumper so badly, he couldn't turn it right without rubbing the wheel. Now, as far as a good ride, and quite, they are a good truck, but if I wanted that, I'd buy a car.

That said, the new 150 is a awesome truck, and we are getting those now instead of Chevies. They ride like a cadillac, with the suspension mounted outside of the frame, not on it, they are quite, and have all of the ammenities a guy could want, notice I didn't say your wife. There is plenty of cab room for the larger fellows like myself, without taking up the back seat. The only complaint I have is the bed, only a 5.5 foot or 6.5 foot, but there are higher walls.

Oh, did I mention a 5.4L in a new 150 will tow the same as a 2500 HD chevy?
The F150 was designed to be the best riding, most quiet pickup made. So that people who wanted to buy a truck, but didn't want one because it rode like a truck-would choose the F150. Chevy/GMC has done this since 88 when they changed over to an IFS. They've always rode nice. Dodge has always been the stiffest of them all, and everyone complains that they ride to harsh and are too loud- But everyone always says "If I wanted a car like ride, I'd buy a car" No you'd buy a Ford or a Chevy. That being said, they all are going to work hard, they all are going to be reliable, and they are all 10 times the trucks of only 10 years ago.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:55 PM
Snake1979
Elder User
What I'm saying, is Chevy may ride good, and feel good, but they don't work good. They can't take the abuse.

Ford has always taken the abuse, can even better now, but now even they ride good.

My number one priority is a good work truck, If it'll take my abuse. Thats why I choose Fords, the better ride, is just a plus.

Oh, and before someone says something about dodge, Dodge may be fine, I've always just had a bad taste in my mouth after seeing those junk trucks of the 80's and 90's.

Old 01-16-2006, 01:48 PM
farmtwuck
Senior User
Originally Posted by NickFordMan
Not exactly. They can both work well for certain things.

Things the 1500 GM are good for:

-grocery getting
-picking up the kids
-looking bad
-breaking easily

...I can't think of anything else that it would be good at.

Things the F-350 are good for:

-towing massive loads
-hauling massive loads
-superior offroad capabilities
-being the best looking (opinion)
-durability
-reliability
-capability
-power/efficiency

...the list goes on. Notice how he has an F-Series for a work truck?
Looks like an apples and oranges comparison to me; comparing a 1/2 vs 1 ton

I think duramaximizer put it well in his post here

anyone that believes anything other than the above statement is really just dabating for fun.
refering to to edgl's post

There is nothing wrong with Chevy or Ford. I have a 06 1500 Silverado, and a 06 F350 Super Duty work truck, and they both work good.
Ed G)
Ford, GM, and Dodge all produce a quality product, it really comes down to brand preference. If any reasonable person would buy a Ford, GM, or Dodge pickup outfitted and treated comparably, any of the three will last just as long as the other.

Oh, and, folks can say all they want about "riding like a car, instead of riding like a truck". If you spent 50 -75k miles a year in a pickup truck travelling over unpaved roads (used to, not anymore) you'd appreciate that "car-like" ride in a truck!

Last edited by farmtwuck; 01-16-2006 at 01:52 PM.

Quick Reply: i went for a test drive yesterday