General Automotive Discussion

Got nailed by the state snooper

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Marc150
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got nailed by the state snooper

Yup, got nailed last night at 10:20. Headin home after being hung up at my second job, in a rush and didnt care about the speed. Typical teen driver(haha, thats comin from me too!!) and I paid(or will have to) for it. 71 in a 55 is the charge, thats 4 pts on the licence. First time ever gettin pulled over by the police, boy was I embarassed. Worst of all, it was right in front of my house!! Not that the guy knew it, but right as I waqs about to pull into the drive, woopwoop and on come the lights. Came up to the car, how are you doing, do you know why I stopped you, I said "Well, I'll spare you the excuses. I know I was speeding, I was in a rush to get home a stupid reason. Lets pull into the drive, since this is where I live." He looked at me, laughed and said "Alright, that made this alot easier. You dont really live here, do you??" He was a real cool guy, told me exactly what to, where to go and such. I actually talked a bit about my job at our local speedway. Even said he was sorry and he dont mean to be a jerk. But i said "hey, you're just doin your job, I was the one in the wrong." Shook hands, said good bye and he left. My boss at the farm is good freinds with a lawyer and tild me to go and see if he can do anything, like get the ticket dropped or reduced. Either way, Im gonna have to pay for it. I guess I had to learn the hard way, now I know how all the people I see pulled over feel!! How bout you guys, share your encounters with the smokies. O yea, anyone think I have even a smaaaalllllll chance of gettin the charges reduced??

Old 01-03-2006, 05:17 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
First speeding ticket, I was about 19. 1976 Triumph TR7 - the replacement for the '77 that got totalled by someone making a left turn in front of me.

Speedo didn't work, I had a 4-speed tranny and 3.63 gears w/13" tires. As you can tell, it revved pretty high on the highway.

Decided to see how far I could get the tach gauge to go

Cop said I was doing 81, I was going way over that (110 I later computed) before I saw him but slammed on the brakes first. He dropped it to 76, so it wouldn't be more than 25MPG over the limit (55) and let me go.

Second time, doing 75 in a 55, two-lane road crosses a four-lane road. In the '74 Highboy, when it crossed the 4-lane highway, I became air-born. Cop pulled me over, gave me a breathalyzer (not even a drop luckily!), passed, gave me a ticket for 75 in 55.

Third time, much later, I was in my '96 t-bird, pulling out of a stop light on a long two-lane road with nothing but commercial properties on one side, train tracks on the other, plenty of visibility. Again, was going about 105+, saw the cop before he saw me (saw him sitting in a parking lot doing paperwork) , but couldn't shed enough speed and got me at 76 in a 35!!! He dropped it to 59, again, below that 25MPH over. I have no idea why.

That last time was 5 years ago. My Allstate insurance never batted an eye, never went up, never lost my "good driver" rating, etc. No idea why. Maybe because I showed up the day AFTER I was supposed to appear?

Old 01-03-2006, 05:24 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Showing off in my mom's car, in a gravel parking lot, in front of my friends. Cop comes out of nowhere. Takes my license, registration. Asks me how my mother would feel if she found out I was screwing around. Gave me a warning and left. My friends couldn't believe I got off without a ticket.

Old 01-03-2006, 05:31 PM
88FordF-150
Elder User
Thats very harsh punishment if you ask me. Me and a buddy was on the highway doing 78 in a 45 mph work zone and the cop that pulled us over gave me a one 105.50 dollar fine. Then we talked about how he was going to look at a truck like mine after he was off duty and how he wants it as high as mine is!

Old 01-03-2006, 05:37 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 441 Likes on 323 Posts
Around here, it's pretty well known that you can bargain your tickets down with almost no excuse. I've never done it though, I always just pay them and take the points on my licence. I'm jsut stupid that way.

Next time . . .

Old 01-03-2006, 05:51 PM
85IDIDiesel
Junior User
Three weeks after getting my drivers license county road 75mph in a 45. Took the cop three miles to catch up with me. Plus I had to stop at a crossroad and get going again. For a while I was getting pulled over almost every week. But always got off with a warning. Don't have a clue how. Got pulled over again December 23 at like 11:00 at night in Texas doing 73 in a 65. We were exhausted driven from Indiana to there and still had 10 hours to go. Trooper was real nice and just gave me a warning. First time being pulled over in like almost 4 years.

Old 01-03-2006, 05:54 PM
Bruker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Years ago a few us guys thought it would be neat to sneak a few cold ones into a teen dance we were going to. When we got there we chickened out and decided to drink them in the car instead. So we parked in the back part of the parking lot, popped open the cold ones and tipped them back. We didn't even get the first swallow down when there was a tap on the window. It turns out we had parked next to a couple of undercover cops.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Thudpucker
Posting Guru
ahhhhh for the good old days, before computers, when each muni kept stuff on file in Tubs with ledger cards.
You could use a different name with each ticket and nobody'd be the wiser.

My first speeding ticket, the Cop tried to talk me into becoming a Cop. "We need people who can drive like you do" he said.
I always wondered what he meant by that remark. I hadn't tried to outrun him.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:06 PM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It has been 20 years since last pulled over. Lost my license on points and lost my insurance. That was enough of that.
Now I go fast enough to get where I want in a timely manner, just make sure that I am not the fastest vehicle going down the road which seems to work pretty effectively.
I live in Amish country now for the past 20 years. You never know when you'll round a bend or crest a rise to find a slow moving buggy in front of you. Or worse yet, some idiot passing one from the other direction blindly.
I happen to also be a high school teacher. Our school of approximately 1400 students loses, on average, 1 student or recently graduated student per year. 90% of the deaths are auto related.
To me, the overall risks are just not worth the benefit.
Have I pushed it once in a while since then? Just had to see what the PSD would do on a deserted straight flat road up near my cabin in the mountains of PA just last summer! Ran out of straight and flat at about 98 mph so I had to back it down. Curiosity satisfied.
But, about 5mph over the limit locally is fast enough for me.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:12 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
I'm pretty sure our state boys only stick to the major interstates

Old 01-03-2006, 06:16 PM
oojbearoo
Senior User
about 5 years ago (before i had a license) me and my buddy(no license either) took his dads truck a lifted bronco and was driving around and a cop in a patrol car hit his lights behind me so i was hoping he was passing us so i pulled over and so did he being 15 years old i was buggin out my freind says just go in the woods so i took off into the woods the car couldnt follow but got out of those woods crossed a highway and where home free (so we thought ) the cops and my buddies dad where waiting out front my buddies house suspended license 1 1/2 years over 2000 in fine's each plus being grounded for 3 months really bad move

Old 01-03-2006, 06:48 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best ticket I ever had to pay for and enjoyed doing it...

When I was going to school in Gainesville some years back, some of you may remember there were some murders there. Well the whole city was on edge so the state deployed a BUNCH of state troopers to the city to help calm people down. They were using a local Wal*Mart parking lot as a staging area. As I drove by and saw the mass of patrol cars I had an idea...

So I called a friend to come over with his 35mm camera. Had him set up on the opposite side of the road. I pull into frame and do a wide *** open nitrous burnout. All the way up first gear (2.75 gears and an FMX so that's to about 63 MPH). Needless to say I got a citation for careless driving, but the photo was worth it. I always wanted to make it into a poster "The last great act of defiance" but sadly the prints and negatives were destroyed by the ex when we split.

I don’t advise you to try this though…

Old 01-03-2006, 07:04 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
damn, that woulda been a great picture

Old 01-03-2006, 07:46 PM
NDrum2005
Senior User
Ive gotten warnings for 49 in a 30 (twice), 45 in a 30 (infront of the police station), 78 in a 65 (by the police chief), 73 in a 55, and I just completed defensive driving for a 59 in a 45 ticket. I consider myself pretty lucky.

One question.... When I took the defensive drving, online, I got two certificates in the mail. One was a court copy, and the other was an insurance copy. Do I have to submit the ins. copy to my ins. company for the ticket to be dismissed, or is it just for insurance reduction?

Old 01-03-2006, 09:09 PM
94_turbo
Senior User
marc150--listen carefully--dont know about your state--but--in mine--see if the lawyer can get you to go to driving school--or get the ticket posted to something else--like loud pipes--and have them have you just pay the fine you would for that ticket--school removes the ticket--posted to something else keeps it offf your driving record--thats my state rules tho--

Quick Reply: Got nailed by the state snooper