Sponsored by:

Turning off interior lights while doors are open

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 07:53 PM
herman2006
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turning off interior lights while doors are open

I recently bought a 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer, 6.0L Diesel, 4x4). I want to be able to turn off the interior lights (and running board lights) while parked, engine off, and doors open. On my 2003 Expedition I just roll the light-dimmer switch on the left of the dash all the way down until it clicks. But on the Excursion it doesn't "click" when all the way down and therefore doesn't shut off the interior lights. Is this normal? If so, then how does one turn off the interior lights in my scenario? I can pull out fuse #35 (I think that was the one) and that does the trick but that's obviously not a graceful solution.

Jeff

Old 01-01-2006, 08:31 PM
4x4 VANMAN
Senior User
Just bought a o1' X myself. Still searching for the same solution. You would of thought ford would have timed the lights like alote of the other late modle fords do if you leave the door open.

Nick

Last edited by IB Tim; 01-02-2006 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:05 PM
jscarb2
Senior User
they are timed i think after 5 mins they go off. if you do a seach there has been lots of post on this subject and ways to do what you want!

Old 01-01-2006, 09:18 PM
4x4 VANMAN
Senior User
Thats cool. Ill try the search. I had all my X's doors open today for 30 min or so wile vacuming and they never timed out. But the way Im getting started with this X it wouldnt supprise me if something electrical is wrong with the timer LOL.

Nick

Last edited by IB Tim; 01-02-2006 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:10 AM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
I used the factory wiring diagram book to tell me which wires at the GEM could have toggle switches spliced inline to disconnect the four door-ajar circuits, thereby deactivating the interior and running board lights. There's one circuit for each front door, a single circuit for the pair of rear doors, and a fourth circuit for the liftgate.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:15 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by herman2006
I recently bought a 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer, 6.0L Diesel, 4x4). I want to be able to turn off the interior lights (and running board lights) while parked, engine off, and doors open. On my 2003 Expedition I just roll the light-dimmer switch on the left of the dash all the way down until it clicks. But on the Excursion it doesn't "click" when all the way down and therefore doesn't shut off the interior lights. Is this normal? If so, then how does one turn off the interior lights in my scenario? I can pull out fuse #35 (I think that was the one) and that does the trick but that's obviously not a graceful solution.

Jeff
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 01-07-2006, 07:49 PM
jhutche
Junior User
I posted this a few months ago.

I have a 2004 Eddie Bauer. I tapped in to the ground wires for each of the lights and put toggle switches in the garage door opener compartment on the overhead consol. One switch shuts off the front and second row overhead lights, the second switch shuts off the 3<SUP>rd</SUP> row light. I left the cargo light alone since it has an override switch build in. It was pretty easy to do. You will need to drop the entertainment console as well as the front overhead to run the wires.
The switches disable the door light and the map lights. For my purposes, the cargo area light is all I will need in a "lights out" mode. If I need more light I'll flip the switch and turn them back on. You need to have a separate switch for the third row light. It has a double ground. The power cable to the light has a ground wire and the light housing itself is grounded to the truck with one of the mounting screws. I clipped the ground wire and didn't replace the mounting screw. There are 3 screws; the 2 that are left hold the light in place just fine. I didn’t take any pictures cause I was just winging it. The double ground on the rear light really threw me. I still can't figure out why they did that.

Old 01-07-2006, 08:06 PM
4x4 VANMAN
Senior User
Originally Posted by herman2006

Jeff
I was mistaken when I posted the first time. The interior lights on my 01' X do time out. I replaced my doorlock actuators on the pass. side today. I had each door open for a good amount of time, while working on both doors the lights timed out. I wish I paid more attention to how long it took. Had each door open for at least 45 min. Theres a timer workin in there somewhere.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:20 PM
1buzzbait
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i just manually close the latch for whichever door is open fools the module to thinkin it's closed,works great when campin or whatever and ya wanna hear the tune's,just don't fergit to open em back up before closin the door

Old 01-08-2006, 04:54 PM
4x4 VANMAN
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1buzzbait
i just manually close the latch for whichever door is open fools the module to thinkin it's closed,works great when campin or whatever and ya wanna hear the tune's,just don't fergit to open em back up before closin the door
Man wouldnt that stink if you gave the door a hard push with thoes latches closed.

Old 01-08-2006, 06:12 PM
nantruckit
Junior User
Excursion int. lights PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Ok...I just bought a 2001 Excursion 7.3 TDI and I CANNOT get the interior lights to shut off. I've read the other posts on this subject but I think my situation is a little different. When my truck is running the DOOR AJAR light is showing on the panel. I've searched the doors and the jambs but can't find any switches to inspect. The timer seems to be working fine when the truck is shut off and the alarm set, but when she's running I think the door ajar alert won't allow the int. lights to shut off. This is a serious problem ...especially at night! Does anyone have any suggetions as to where I might look for the switches/sensors that tell the truck there's a door open? Please help...this is driving me nuts!

Old 01-08-2006, 06:19 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
The door-ajar switches are inside the doors, mounted directly to the latches. Some have said a hefty dose of WD40 has cured their problems. I did the WD40 thing a few years back ... worked for awhile ... then replaced all 6 switches myself ... STILL had a couple times when they'd illuminate ... then I installed the inline toggle switches. At least I've narrowed it down to one of the switches in the two rear side doors ... but now all I do is turn them off. ALL of the times I've had them illuminate unwanted was when it was wet outside.

Old 01-08-2006, 06:29 PM
nantruckit
Junior User
Sounds like a major PIA. Where do you spray the WD? Do I need to take off the door panels? I like the switch idea, I'll probably do that for the long term solution. Thanks.

Old 01-08-2006, 08:03 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Search in this forum for how to remove door panels ... I belive someone made a DIY post about it. If you plan on doing the switch installation, get yourself the factory service manuals and/or wiring diagram-book from helminc.com ... best money you can spend.

Old 01-08-2006, 08:11 PM
nantruckit
Junior User
Dome Light Door Ajar Solution Excursion 7.3TDI

Open all seven doors, load up the WD40 in all the locking mechanisms, put on eye protection, spray out the grime with compressed air, load up the contact cleaner in the same manner, wipe off excess with a rag, slam doors shut. Do it in that order and it'll be fixed.

Quick Reply: Turning off interior lights while doors are open