1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

no reverse

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 04:18 PM
Miramichi_hockey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question no reverse

I parked my 99 4.2L short box in the garage so the snow would melt. While the truck was shut off, i was shifting my transfer case(the truck was in neutral, with my foot on the brake) from 2H to 4low and back again. I do this once in awhile so the damn thing wont seize up on me again! Later i went to drive out of my garage but the truck refused to move in reverse. It felt like something was wedged behind the wheel, or the ebrake was on, but neither was true. I figured i might have did something when i was shifting the transfer case,but i'll let you's decide. I then drove the truck ahead a little and then put it back in reverse. It worked like a charm. I tried backing up a few more times later on and nothing acted up. Can someone tell me why it did it the one and only time?

I was in 2H when i TRIED to back up the first time-if that helps any

Old 12-31-2005, 04:27 PM
goonski
Junior User
Could the brakes have been froze up, pads froze to the rotors? That happened to me ice fishing one time, driving through water on the ice and parking on the ice the brakes froze and the truck wouldn't move. I had a small propane torch on board and warmed them up and all was good. Now if I drive through water when it's cold, I step on the brakes lightly for a couple hundred yards to dry them before I stop. Hope that helps!

Goon

Old 12-31-2005, 04:34 PM
Miramichi_hockey
Senior User
how come i could drive ahead but not in reverse at first, but then could the second time. Your theory does relate to my problem since i had just washed the truck in the garage before this happened.

Old 01-01-2006, 09:46 AM
mat-helm
Senior User
I wouldn't worry too much about it. The transfer case could have just been in a bind, some where between 2h n 4h/L0.