need help deciding on bed liner

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 06:55 PM
78 explorer
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need help deciding on bed liner

hello, I've been going nuts trying to decide what to do about this, i have a 1978 f150 I;m repainting. I cant decide if I should paint the inside of the bed, put in a plastic bed liner, or get a do it your self roll on liner like herculiner? please help!

gregg

Old 12-29-2005, 07:26 AM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
I'd say go with the roll-on. I'm not a big fan of the plastic liners. Even though its slight, they tend to slide & vibrate and end up tearing up the paint below it.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:54 AM
The SnoMan
Elder User
Originally Posted by Carlene
I'd say go with the roll-on. I'm not a big fan of the plastic liners. Even though its slight, they tend to slide & vibrate and end up tearing up the paint below it.
Myself it is a plastic bedliner with a ribbed floor because it cushions the bed too. I can throw in it what ever i want and not worry about dinging the the bed up.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:41 AM
78 explorer
Junior User
Thanks, I think I'll try the roll on liner. I appreciate the input.

Old 12-29-2005, 10:51 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
One thing I dislike about the plastic bedliner I have, is it seems like the water can get in and I dont like the idea of water possibly sitting in my box.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:58 AM
460f250
Elder User
I've had 2 trucks that had removable liners in them and both had serious rust under them once I removed them. If you remove the liner periodically to dry it out and clean under it I'd say fine, but if not use some product that forms a seal.

Old 12-31-2005, 04:52 PM
78 explorer
Junior User
Thanks, guys the truck I'm restoring had a plastic liner in it and it also rotted the bed floor out. so I had to get a rust free bed before I even started, but the truck will still be used as a truck ( hauling mulch for around the house odd and ends!) so I wanted to protect the bed. I just was'nt sure on the do it yourself roll on liners.

Old 12-31-2005, 06:18 PM
mikeyswood
Elder User
AVOID the diy kits!!!! They are usually one part urethanes that do not hold up. Line-X is a two stage Urea/Urethane that is pretty good. I know that it is a bit more costly, but if you have done this much work, isn't worth doing right?

Check around here for some posts. There is a guy on here that is a dealer and can give you more info.

Good luck,
Mike

Old 01-01-2006, 11:43 PM
460f250
Elder User
For what its worth, the boxes on the trucks I've had that had no liners in them lasted the longest. Sure they had a few dents and signs of "use" but no rust. Used them regularly for hauling dirt, rocks etc.. Just like wrinkles, a sign of maturity and lifes adventures.

Old 01-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Kelly Aitken
Junior User
I think Line-X is the best spray on on the market. Some of the other spray on's may be cheaper but they don't hold up as well. I was reading a how-to on applying the herculiner somewhere on this board. The Line-x will cost alittle bit more but the finish is so much better and it will hold up to real abuse so much better. I have seen both methods and I compare them like painting your truck with a spray can or using real automotive paint and a spray gun. I'm thinking that going the herculiner route will run you in the ball park of $200. and Line-X will go for around $400.

Kelly

Old 02-15-2006, 06:15 AM
mr_malina
Senior User
Has anyone seen any comparisons between Rhino Lining and Line-X? I am thinking about getting one of the two for my truck

Old 02-15-2006, 06:27 AM
CapeF250
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've only seen comparisons at work in the parking lot.
I think Line-x looks much better and after 4 years is holding up just fine.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:58 AM
mikeyswood
Elder User
LineX is a two stage ployurethane and polyurea bled. Rhino is a two stage polyurethane only. DIY kits are only a one stage polyurethane. After seeing both BTFU, I like the looks of LineX. Do your homework and let us know what you go with.

Mike

Old 02-15-2006, 11:09 AM
mr_malina
Senior User
Originally Posted by mikeyswood
LineX is a two stage ployurethane and polyurea bled. Rhino is a two stage polyurethane only. DIY kits are only a one stage polyurethane. After seeing both BTFU, I like the looks of LineX. Do your homework and let us know what you go with.

Mike
It wont be for a little while. I will be getting back from Iraq in early June and I will be using some of my money to get my truck painted. I might possibly lift it at the same time. Then after that comes the bedliner.

Old 02-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Kelly Aitken
Junior User
Both are very good liners. There are several differences in them. Line-x is sprayed on hot and cools instantly. The texture is misted in with the final coat. You can get with your dealer if you want more or less texture. Due to the chemical make up, the Line-x is a little harder then Rhino so it doesn't grip quite as well but still no where near as slick as a plastic drop in. The Line-x is less likely to tear the Rhino. The Rhino has a different texture commonly call cottage cheese. I don't care what a Rhino dealer tells you, it will rip and tear under abusive conditions. Any of them will. The Air Force had several of their trucks sprayed with Rhino. They were the only game in town for years. These trucks are used and abused. The liners are torn up especially on the tail gate. In defence of the Rhino product, I think the local dealer did a poor job on the prep job. On our shop truck, you can peel the liner up on the bed rail and see where there was barely and scuff sanding. Also most of the local Rhino trucks I've seen in my area have what I call "rhino bugers" hanging along the inside bed rails. They are like stalagtites where they spayed and the product just driped down and solidified. On the other hand, I have seen show trucks sprayed with rhino that look great. Like a good paint job, It is how much effort the spray guy wants to put in it. Bottom line in my opinion, they are both good products but visit your local deal and talk to him and check out a few of the trucks he has sprayed. Then decide.

Kelly

Quick Reply: need help deciding on bed liner