exhaust for 4.2L

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 03:37 PM
chumlysgrl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust for 4.2L

Hi Everyone. I am thinking of putting dual exhaust on my '02 Ford F-150 4.2L. I really don't know anything about them...hope someone can give me a little info. Can they cause problems with your motor? Will it increase horsepower/performance? I want it to sound a LOT deeper/louder. Any suggestions of what would be my best options? I don't want to go talk to someone at a shop in town until I know a little bit about what I want. Thanks!

Old 12-28-2005, 06:03 PM
chumlysgrl
New User
17 views and no one knows anything about exhausts?

Old 12-29-2005, 12:21 PM
please
Freshman User
I have flowmaster 40 series on mine and it sounds nice to me. I know that whatever you choose dont put dual exhaust on your truck it will loose power with true dual. Thats my 2 cents could be wrong too. Also nice truck.

Old 12-29-2005, 02:07 PM
chumlysgrl
New User
Really? I didn't know if it would lose power or not. Do You know anything about the kind...ok this is gonna sound stupid... its like two rectangle tips that are next to eachother that come out right in front of the rear tire? Gibson I believe makes them for the 4.2?

Old 12-29-2005, 02:44 PM
please
Freshman User
I have heard of that set up it is one muffler with two tips. I just know when I went to get my exhaust done no one around here would do true duel. I think its the way the cats and the pipe is set up under the truck. I hope this helps you some. Good luck

Old 12-29-2005, 03:00 PM
G'sRed99F150
Senior User
I've put True Duals on my truck. Did so before I fully investigated it. Just wanted to get rid of the engine noise and put the attention to the rear of the truck. I've read in these forums that you will loose bottom end with true duals. But to be honest, I have not noticed any difference. I installed a K&N Intake at the same time.I can light em up on a good day, and I am pleased with the performance and sound.I went stainless tips for looks. It's still a V6, and it performs like one.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:16 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As I understand it, the effect of complete dual exhaust system changes the exhaust gas velocity enough that it can impact the torque curve. In particular, a negative impact at lower rpm.
Like most everything related to an internal combustion engine, exhaust system design is a science.
The same principles that allow a 2 stroke engine to operate (without intake or exhaust valves) have a similar, but less significant impact on four stroke engine performance.
All that said, I don't really think you'd gain anything by going to a complete "true dual" system.
I do think the biggest mistake some folks make is the percieved need to go to larger exhaust pipes when redoing their exhaust system.
The 4.2 doesn't move enough air to need big exhaust pipes.
Most everybody who makes a change seems to just replace the OEM muffler with a SI/SO or SI/DO aftermarket muffler.
I have a flowmaster 40 series SI/DO on my truck. It sounds pretty good, just a little too loud for me.
I like the MelloTone SI/DO I had on my 2000 better than the Flowmaster. It was just quieter and didn't have near the resonant noise that the Flowmaster does.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:31 PM
chumlysgrl
New User
I'm not too worried about gaining power, I just don't want to lose a whole lot. I want it to be louder. I do like the look of a dual, but don't want to waste my money. Thanks for the info guys. I'll keep looking into it.

Old 12-30-2005, 05:00 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Then I'd say your best bet would be a Flowmaster 40 or 50 series - single in, with dual outlets run out the back.

Old 01-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Miramichi_hockey
Senior User
I agree. Go with the chrome tips cuz they look a lot cooler than the dull stainless ones. My pipes go out behind the rear tires, I don't like the look of the straight-out-the back dual set-up. Just my 2 cents!

Old 01-23-2006, 06:12 PM
chumlysgrl
New User
I def want the type that goes out behind the back tires. Just out of curiousity, what did that run you?

Old 01-23-2006, 06:39 PM
G'sRed99F150
Senior User
When I did my duals, it cost me around $300. I had all new pipeing installed, a dual in and a dual out, then straight out the back with stainless tips.True they dull a bit, but with a bit of cleaning, they last and last. The chrome one rust out if not cleaned constantly, stainless is forever.In my gallery, my tips are are over a year and half old.Do the single in and dual out to save cash, and bottom end.

Old 01-23-2006, 06:43 PM
Miramichi_hockey
Senior User
I bought the truck used, but the dual exhaust was installed 2 weeks b4 the guy sold it to me. It's a real sharp sounding/looking set up, I would guess around 500-800$ canadian. If I sell this truck I will definetly buy the same set-up for my next truck-granted it doesnt already have duals.
PS, if u do a lot of off-roading/gravel roads u might want to buy some mud guards cuz of rocks chips will do a number to the look over time.

Old 01-23-2006, 07:48 PM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
I have heard that 'loud' exhaust system on the v6 makes it sound like a little ricer. I too wanted a more powerful sound but I definately dont want to be driving a truck that sounds like a weed-wacker. A while ago I asked about a muffler that would make a more deep and powerful tone but got no responses. I would assume with facotry cats your limited too.

I like the look of the tips going out each side behind the rear tires but if you are using chrome tips then everyone behind you can really see the tip peices and it becomes more apparent that its just a tip. What I would like to see is a chrome/stainless tip that has a 90 degree bend and the chrome part goes all the way, giving the look that your whole pipe is chrome / stainless steel.

Just my $0.02

Old 01-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Miramichi_hockey
Senior User
Thats what I have! When the tubes bend into a 90* the 3" chrome is welded at the elbow. It is not a tip tho, i comes factory welded.

Quick Reply: exhaust for 4.2L