General Automotive Discussion

Question about future F-150/ranger/small truck hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 01:25 PM
RamsayX
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about future F-150/ranger/small truck hybrids

Hi all, I'm new here, sorry if I'm posting in the wrong category ...

I'm just wondering if Ford plans to bring out a truck in the future (3 or so years from now) that either works on hybrid technology or something similar? I love the F-150 as it is now, but I wouldn't consider it for fuel economy costs as it is now. I had a new ranger earlier this year, but got rid of it and have a new mazda 3 for now. That will be paid off in 3 years and I plan to go for a truck again at that time (or approximately that time).

I will be wanting something for the long term, that will last into the future and be a smart buy economically (fuel cost is the biggest factor). My question is: does Ford plan to release anything like this in the next few years? I loved the ranger, but its too small for a family (I'm 25, engaged and starting a family in a few years likely). The F-150 is a beautiful truck and would suit my needs ... but its expensive.

My other question is about mid-sized trucks. I also like the Chevy Colorado, this might be suitable. Is Ford plan anything like a mid-sized like that or the Dodge Dakota? I will be looking for a 4 door cab as well.

What do you guys think? Thanks for any insight.

PS - I read about the flexible fuel f-150's ... but that to me doesn't seem like a plausible idea. It's not necessarily more fuel efficient, just uses a different kind of fuel and it would be difficult to find a station to fill it up at all the time.

Old 12-19-2005, 02:24 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Ranger's future is very much up in the air. There were 2 plants that built them, but the NJ plant was closed several years ago. The current (Twin Cities) Ranger plant is one of the plants on Ford's list to be closed, and no other factory is currently set up to produce them. They're also closing the plant that made the Ranger-based Sport-Trac (the 2007 Sport-Trac is built on the new Explorer). It's only a guess on my part, but I've got a feeling you'll see a pickup-type vehicle based on the Explorer platform. Picture a Sport-Trac with a shorter cab and a longer box. It would be an interesting competitor to the Dakota/ Colorado-sized vehicles.

Personally, I'd love to see a Ranger-sized truck that's diesel or hybrid, but no one really knows what's going on right now. Diesel F-150? Maybe, maybe not. And you're right about the FFV models; until they make ethanol fuel more widely available, there's no advantage in owning one.

Old 12-19-2005, 03:25 PM
billindenver
Freshman User
Since GM has a 1/2 ton hybrid, I would assume that sooner or later Ford will as well. Just as Ford is now talking up their flex fuel engine...like the one in the 2004 suburban I just traded off. They're a bit behind on the alternative fuels etc but the public wants it so they have to produce it. I'm half expecting a displacement on demand motor now that Dodge and GM both have them in their trucks. We shall see

Bill
05 F-150 lariat

Old 12-20-2005, 12:28 PM
RamsayX
New User
Really? Getting rid of the Ranger ... that would be very surprising considering its still the best selling compact pickup is it not??

Ideally I would like to see a colorado/dakota-sized ford hybrid truck of some kind, as nice and luxurious as the current F-150. If not I would consider an F-150 as well, I just need something light-duty, but good on fuel (30+ mpg would be nice in a truck).

Old 12-20-2005, 03:26 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
As for the new Ranger - it will be interesting if the NA market recieves the completely new Ranger we are due to recieve in 2009 (will be engineered here in Australia)

Old 12-20-2005, 04:05 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RamsayX
Really? Getting rid of the Ranger ... that would be very surprising considering its still the best selling compact pickup is it not??...
I didn't say that, but when you consider that Ford plans on closing every plant that is currently capable of building the Ranger, then something is definitely going on. I can only surmise that because, as I've said SOOOOOOO many times on this site before, Ford dealers are always the last to know anything about new product. Motor Trend, Car & Driver, Popular Mechanics: they all know what's coming out in the future MONTHS before I'll ever find out.

Old 12-20-2005, 04:09 PM
RamsayX
New User
Interesting, and I found some tidbits on Ford trucks in the future here: http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...1dd29ford.html

Sounds like what I'm looking for, a crew cab option would be just perfect too (surprising that they don't already have it for the ranger). This is what I think I'll wait for, a lonnnngg wait though

Old 12-20-2005, 04:10 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Motor Trend, Car & Driver, Popular Mechanics: they all like to think they know what's coming out in the future MONTHS before I'll ever find out.
Can I just edit that a little

It is dissapointing manufacturers can't inform thier dealer body of future product plans - BUT imagine the turbulent market if they did...