Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

BEWARE: WD-40 is NOT a lubricant

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 10:57 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is by definition a "PENETRANT" and a "SOLVENT"

And where that gets important is on Door and Hood Hinges and bicycle chains...

I put it to you this way -

Someone I read about spent $2,500 dollars on an Italian Bicycle (Campagnolo, I believe) and used WD-40 on the chain...

50 miles later, he noticed a lot of aluminum flakes on the chain....
It had erased the oil that was protecting a $250.oo front gear set, and the chain ate it alive...

WD is a good cleaner, and can free stuck bolt threads by getting the "GUNK" out, but has no lubricational properties at all...

Your best bet on door pins and hood hinges is to use a spray form of white lithium grease, which bubbles into the crevices and has a truck-load of "Staying Power"

~Greywolf sends

Old 02-17-2002, 07:59 PM
Boss_358
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never encourage anyone to use DW-40. It seems to absorbe moisture and usually starts to rust. For penetrating oil I use PB blaster. Stuff works great. And for a lubricant I use a white lithium spray, or 3 in 1 oil or something.

Old 02-19-2002, 09:05 PM
rotorhead
Senior User

My Dad spent many years shooting on one of our military pistol teams, and used to get Breakfree CLP by the gallon. I think they still make the stuff, and it's an excellent lubricant as well.

Old 02-21-2002, 05:24 AM
lanero
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best use I have found for WD-40 is as a starting fluid for old ch*vy diesels. You can't use ether on them or it will ruin the glow plugs, but for some reason, WD-40 works real good.

Roger Lane

Old 02-21-2002, 08:26 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts

grey

you are so right...

from how stuff works.com

"WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed WD-40 back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion-a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try. Please see our history section for more information."

it you want it lubricated use oil, grease, lard, ky-jelly... but don't expect wd-40 to do an adequate job

john

Old 04-13-2002, 09:37 PM
XLTRANGER
New User

I can tell you all this. I work at an environmental drilling and construction company, and at one of the sites i went to, they made wd-40. come to find out the company also makes "NIX" which is used to get rid of lice. i talked to one of the chemist, and he said that it is the same thing as wd-40, but just different ratios of this to that. I don't know about you, but I wont use these items on bolts or my kids hair. I'll break or cut that bolt first, or cut my boys hair all off. As for using it for starting fluid, it does work, but I am not to crazy about that either.

Old 04-13-2002, 10:57 PM
Vampiro
Cargo Master

i read somewhere WD-40 can be sprayed over aluminum and crome rims. this makes road grime easy to remove

Old 04-14-2002, 12:59 PM
Djoffroad
Senior User

True, WD40 is just a cleaner. I like Tri-Flow for other lubriacting purposes like freeing up bolts and lubricating chains.

BTW, I have WD40 in my tackle box. Works great to scent bait

Old 04-14-2002, 04:07 PM
Vampiro
Cargo Master

>BTW, I have WD40 in my tackle box. Works great to scent
>bait

same here. fish love it, and it's cheaper than that ecxpcensive fish sence stuff

Old 04-14-2002, 04:25 PM
rellik74
Senior User

FROM wd40.com
WD-40 Company has been providing the world with top-quality, multi-purpose products for nearly 50 years. With a household name like WD-40, users know they can trust a brand that cleans, penetrates, protects, and lubricates just about anything.

Old 04-14-2002, 08:39 PM
Matt_W
Senior User

for lubricating i go with white lithium or antiseize. as for bolts i havent found anything that comes close to pb blaster. I personally dont have any problem with wd-40 though as long as it is used correctly.

Old 04-15-2002, 06:28 PM
BarryRenfro
Freshman User

I've said it once or so, one of the best agents
for freeing nuts or threaded things is OIL-OF-WINTERGREEN
I was told when I was younger that OIL-OF-WINTERGREEN
is probably one of the best freeing lube's that is
available,was told by a senior farmer/mech that it will
free up exhaust bolts on a R3350 straight stack engine,
works like crazy.:-)

Old 04-21-2002, 10:01 PM
bubba4fl
Freshman User

Greetings All,

I am a cyclist and truck freak.(Go figure) For "Greywolf", Campagnolo is a component builder, such as chain rings and shifters. They don't actaully build bicycles. They are the European equivelant of Shimano. Anyway, spraying WD-40 on a bicycle chain or anything that needs to be kept lubricated in a big no-no. WD-40 is marketed as a penetrant. I've found that it's also a good degreaser and is great for removing decal residue from glass. "WD" means Water Displacing and "40" is the formula number. It was originally developed for use by NASA. They sprayed it on rockets to help prevent corrosion and condensation from forming and freezing at high altitudes. It's other uses were later discovered because employees were taking it home to use as a penetrant. I'm not bashing this product because it is great stuff. But, there are times when it shouldn't be used. P.S.- I lubricate my bicycle chains with the same 80 weight gear oil I use in my truck's tranny and rear end. It works great.
BUBBA

Old 04-23-2002, 08:52 PM
RBrendel
Posting Guru

uh oh, my fan belt was making noise when i started the truck and while it was running, i tried silicon lubricant but it didnt work climbed under truck and spraid wd40 on the belt, noise went away hasnt come back for 4 days, did i do a no no

Old 04-26-2002, 02:43 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Silicon is a lubricant in it's own right.

And one piece of advice I can give you there - is KEEP THAT STUFF AWAY from paint!

It can soak into the pores of the metal, and make paint forever after "fisheye" on the affected area.

I have heard it can eventually be cleaned off, but why go there to start with...

This makes me wonder if WD-40 can clean silicon out of metals....

Quick Reply: BEWARE: WD-40 is NOT a lubricant