Rear main seal

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 03:17 PM
bluestarva
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear main seal

I need the rear main seal replaced on my 1965 E-100 and the roadside mechanic where it is current being held hostage stated that he did not know if he could replace it because he heard/read where you need a special tool to replace it. The engine is the 170ci with a 3-speed. Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Another point of interest, I was looking at something that had specs on the pre-68 econolines and saw that there was a 4-speed on-the-tree that was made in 1964. I thought that was interesting (I sure could use another gear in mine!) and was wondering how this transmission faired.

Thanks

Old 11-15-2005, 07:35 PM
Jimbare
all alone in the world
the tool he is talking about is called a "sneaky pete". it is used to pull a new wick seal in when the crank is still in the block.
if the mechanic doesnt have one, or is not willing to purchase one, get your truck away from there! they only cost about 10-15 bucks for the tool.

the 4 speed was a dagenham, not very strong. it was not an overdrive trans either, so it wouldnt do you any good. only thing you can do is either slow down, or put in a nine inch with some tall gears.

jim

Old 11-16-2005, 03:16 PM
bluestarva
Junior User
Thanks Jim. Yup, I already am going slower.

Old 11-20-2005, 08:23 PM
rls302s
New User
Thumbs down Bluestarva

If this guy don't have the proper tools he probably don't know what he's doing so take your truck to a real mechanic & don't be afraid to ask for references.

Ron

Old 11-20-2005, 09:43 PM
cheez67
Senior User
Wink

run like the wind to a real mechanic/ real shop. you can not tell me this guy has never replaced a reseal, this tool he talks about is not special to ford, it is recommend to use almost anytime you do a rear seal. fyi, have the next mechanic also check how worn the rebearing is, sometimes a worn bearing will cause to much oil pressure to hit the seal making it fail. nothing worse than going through the time and money to do the seal only to have it fail within a month or so.

Old 11-22-2005, 12:16 PM
bluestarva
Junior User
Thanks Ron and cheez67, I think there is a place that I can take it, although it is not convenient to take it there. However, if getting it fixed correctly depends upon where I take it, then I will get it there somehow.

Old 11-22-2005, 01:46 PM
66gpw
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have replaced several rear seals and a sneeky pete is a handy tool to have. Most old seals just slide out. You can usually grap a bit with a needle nose pliers to pull the old ones out. The new ones usually slide in with a little oil on them. I too also check the bearing when I ave them off. If you got the money it does not hurt to replace the bearings on the crank or rods if they are not worn too bad. This helps with oil compression in the engine.

The econolines are easy to remove the oil pans, there is lots of room on these earl models. Good luck on which ever choice you do it yourself or have a good shop do it for you.

Old 11-28-2005, 10:31 AM
bluestarva
Junior User
Thanks, 66gpw, for your comments. I would like to do the eork but don't really have the set-up to do so. Are there any tips or tricks to replacing the seals?

Old 02-03-2006, 04:41 PM
skeeter5000
New User
Thumbs up Rear main seal

Sorry for the post did not notice date. Maybe next time.

Last edited by skeeter5000; 02-03-2006 at 04:43 PM. Reason: post was too old, didn't notice date.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:08 PM
bluestarva
Junior User
No problem. I did not have the time to do the work myself, but I now know were NOT to take my van to get it repaired. The mechanic that replaced the seals also noticed the timing chain was sloppy and replaced that. He also refixed stuff that the previous place (the Do Not Go There place) supposedly fixed. I guess I found a place to take my stuff when I cannot fix it, but he is a bugger at not calling me first when he fixes more than what I requested. Now Junior purrs...

Old 02-07-2006, 03:24 AM
rls302s
New User
Wink Rear Main Repairs

Originally Posted by bluestarva
No problem. I did not have the time to do the work myself, but I now know were NOT to take my van to get it repaired. The mechanic that replaced the seals also noticed the timing chain was sloppy and replaced that. He also refixed stuff that the previous place (the Do Not Go There place) supposedly fixed. I guess I found a place to take my stuff when I cannot fix it, but he is a bugger at not calling me first when he fixes more than what I requested. Now Junior purrs...
I don't know about Va but alot of states have laws about doing repairs that were not part of the Original job without getting an ok and also alot of states have a law on the books about a written estimate and if you ask for that then they have to call you & get an ok before preforming any other repairs. Check
you may not have to pay for unrequested repairs.

Ron

Old 02-07-2006, 07:46 AM
bluestarva
Junior User
Ron,

Thanks for the advice. This time, it was okay because this is my daily driver and I need to keep it going so the repairs he made may prevent me from having to take it back for other work later. Next time I have something done, I will demand that he call me before doing anything or I will look for another place to take my business.
Tim

Old 02-13-2006, 02:12 AM
j-md
Senior User
Actually have an entire four speed set up for sale from front to back for a 170 CI out of a '64 Econo

Originally Posted by bluestarva
I need the rear main seal replaced on my 1965 E-100 and the roadside mechanic where it is current being held hostage stated that he did not know if he could replace it because he heard/read where you need a special tool to replace it. The engine is the 170ci with a 3-speed. Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Another point of interest, I was looking at something that had specs on the pre-68 econolines and saw that there was a 4-speed on-the-tree that was made in 1964. I thought that was interesting (I sure could use another gear in mine!) and was wondering how this transmission faired.

Thanks

Old 02-13-2006, 11:49 AM
bluestarva
Junior User
The ususal questions: Where is the trans located?, What condition is it in?, Does front to back include tree shifter?, price.

Thanks

Old 02-13-2006, 04:48 PM
j-md
Senior User
The ususal questions: Where is the trans located?, What condition is it in?, Does front to back include tree shifter?, price.

Thanks

It includes everything and I mean everything ... Shift column, column to dash bracket , all rods, linkages transmission, drive shaft and rear end. I drove it around and all four gears work fine ... currently have it listed on e-bay for the first time ... it is located in Vancouver BC Canada ... If it doesn't sell on e-bay it will be listed locally for about $500 ...

Quick Reply: Rear main seal