Electric Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 11:12 AM
motox214
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric Supercharger

Anyone heard about those electric superchargers you see on ebay?
Do they actually help? I have a 2000 3.0L Ranger

Old 11-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
You mean the ones that look like boat engine compartment exhuast fans? Then, no they will not help. Theres no way that plastic propeller will compress any significant amount of air.

Only electric super/turbo charge setup I imagine would work would be to take and actual turbo housing and fan (compressor side) and run it with a fairly powerful electric DC motor capable of spinning it what, 80,000-100,000 rpms? Of course if it was that easy or practical, then it would have been done already

Old 11-14-2005, 02:53 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I honestly wouldn't bother...
They don't compress the air (which is what you need for additional power) - and they just add more load to your electrical system.
Originally Posted by Franken-Truck
Only electric super/turbo charge setup I imagine would work would be to take and actual turbo housing and fan (compressor side)
Then you would have a centrifugal supercharger...

Old 11-14-2005, 05:32 PM
greenacrescanoe
New User
These things are a joke, but try it anyways I'm curious what it will do

Old 11-14-2005, 07:44 PM
uuranium
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow. looks like the upgraded from a bilge pump to a ac fan style pice of junk. i really doubt that you would see any kind of performance even on a small 1.3l and not to mention what would happen if it broke and you sucked up one of the blades into the engine.

Old 11-14-2005, 08:40 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Originally Posted by greenacrescanoe
These things are a joke, but try it anyways I'm curious what it will do
$5 says you will lose power becuase it is an intake restriction, and nothing more

Big350, didn't know that

You'd be $$$ ahead just buying the turbo whistle to stick in your pipe. Both are a waste of money, but the whistle is only $20 and at least it will sound like theres a turbo under there

Last edited by Franken-Truck; 11-14-2005 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:13 PM
G Lube
Senior User
http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0406tur_knight/

How are these electric superchargers? They seem to be the only ones that would possibly work.

Old 11-14-2005, 09:30 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
I have and will maintain that electric superchargers do 3/4 of beggar all...

A vehicles electical system cannot maintain the power requirements to sufficiently compress the air to provide any benefits.

Old 11-14-2005, 09:37 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
I think you could get a couple hours with a few Optima DeepCycle batteries strung together. I have no idea how long it would take an alternator to charge em back up though

Those motors look like my starter on my truck. Man that thing has GOT to draw alot of power.

Old 11-14-2005, 10:04 PM
uuranium
Senior User
Originally Posted by G Lube
http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0406tur_knight/

How are these electric superchargers? They seem to be the only ones that would possibly work.
that electrical super is the real deal. i had the link to it and lost it but i have seen that setup before. the idea is that you get a 2 or 3 extra batteries(in the trunk or where you have room) run a bigger alt, or seperate one from the one that charges the car batt would be even better, and then when you need the power you just switch it on. it will need time to recharge but the idea is a pretty good one and is probably the best one on the market, or only one as far as an electrical supercharger goes anyway. if you try it let us know how it turns out.

UUranium

Old 11-14-2005, 10:57 PM
G Lube
Senior User
HAHA. I wish that i could afford that (not trying to insult you). I'm a student in college just like you who wishes he could afford all the toys but I need to buy a tuba first (music education major).

Everyone was always bashing those things on ebay (which I can't blame them) that I wasn't sure if the Thomas Knight superchargers actually worked, hence why I threw that idea out there. I guess they do.

If i could try anything out experimenting it would be adapting one of those Cat-Back turbo systems to the V10.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:23 AM
uuranium
Senior User
i have always been skeptical about those catback systems. i understand that running the cats at a hotter temp allows for them to eliminate more emissions but i doubt that many people would be worried about epa ratings when they are puttin on a turbo. if you stop and think about it the more room you have in your exhaust before the turbo the longer it takes for the turbo to spool. if it was me, and yes i am thinking of doing a tt 6.8l V10, i would just run the turbos up to the front and leave it at that. not to mention what happens if something were to give your turbo a good whack from underneath. good luck with school.

UUranium

Old 11-15-2005, 07:27 PM
G Lube
Senior User
See I figured that even though the gasses won't be as hot as they are near the turbo, it has to also be the velocity of the gasses that drives the turbine. I figure the velocity of the gasses might be greater as they travel back, which is why the STS product has gotten such good "testimonials" (if they are true testimonials). You could protect the turbo if needed but the one thing I still don't like about their system is the air filter being exposed like that. I would personally re-route it.

Old 11-15-2005, 07:47 PM
uuranium
Senior User
the more heat the more velocity. also the less area you have to fill the less time it takes to pressurize and that is gonna lower your velocity also. the exhaust system on a turbo can be one of those critical make it or break it points and i just don't see how putting that much distance between turbo and engine is ever gonna help anything except for lowering the egt's some. while it might sound good on paper(doesn't really sound good to me at all) it would probably be a turd in real life when compared to a turbo setup where the turbo is in the engine bay(or at least closer). when the pro 5.0 guys start mounting their turbos like that then i will believe that it actually works better, but until then i am gonna stick that turbo in front and get blown

Old 11-15-2005, 08:02 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Originally Posted by G Lube
See I figured that even though the gasses won't be as hot as they are near the turbo, it has to also be the velocity of the gasses that drives the turbine.
The turbo runs of a combination.
To use the very basic Bernoullis principle (this doesn't take into account thermal energy), the turbo's output is proportional to:
Exhaust gas pressure prior to the turbo
The square of the exhaust gas velocity (i.e. double the speed, 4 times the output).

Having a turbo mounted further away from the exhaust manifold only reduces both of these (as well as the thermal energy I didn't take into account).
You do have less heat soak - but this can be overcome very easily with an appropriate sized intercooler or water injection.

Quick Reply: Electric Supercharger