1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

E350 new tire recommendation for rain, snow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 10:45 PM
jmailand
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile E350 new tire recommendation for rain, snow?

My '01 E350 super van still got the OEM goodyear wranglers. Took it up through some light snow to let the kids play in the mountains and we did a bit of our sledding en-route -- those tires are slicks!

I've already replaced the underpants, but do any of you E350 drivers have any recommendations for a tire that's good in rain (I'm in Oregon) and at least decent in light snow and rides well overall? Most of my miles are highway.

My local big-box store has Bridgestone Dueller A/T's which look like they might do, also Michelin X-Radials or Mich LTX M/S - bit more spendy.

Any positive or negative experiences, or other recommendations?

I've read reviews on tirerack.com but it would be nice to hear from the experts directly -- Thanks!

(yes I have chains but when there's mixed snow/pavement it's the worst - chains on pavement in that ride - no bueno)

Old 11-12-2005, 12:17 AM
Qvan666
Tuned
Received 265 Likes on 140 Posts
I run Pirelli Scorpion AT's on my E250 4x4. I have had no problem on rain or snow with them.

I came through Portland a couple of years ago when you guys had the snow that shut everything down, never put it in 4WD. I live just east of the continental divide in Montana and see plenty of snow and rain.

I have gotten pretty fair wear, and very little road noise from these tires.

Not very many people run these tires, I am not sure why. Perhaps some others will chime in with their dislikes or likes of their tires.

bob

Old 11-13-2005, 06:16 PM
DadVan
Senior User
jmailand,

You'll love the Michelin LTX M/S as long as you follow their engineering advice (read on...). At 70K, now About 10K miles ago, I replaced the OEM Goodyears on my '03 E350 with the Michelins. I had "issues" for a few days until my dealer spoke to Michelin and learned that lightly loaded (as my van is 90% of the time), the tires should be 47psi front/65psi rear. Having made that small adjustment, these are FANTASTIC tires! Very well mannered wet (I'm a storm chaser so I drive fast on FLOODED roadways) or dry. I've not personally done snow yet, but all reviews and recommendations from locals say I won't be disappointed there either. Yah, they're pricey initially, but I should get great mileage, therefore lowering my per mile cost.

DadVan

Old 11-15-2005, 03:24 PM
wreckerboy
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try taking a look at Tire Rack (www.tirerack.com) if not for the prices at least for the customer comments section. They solicit comments from customers on the tires they have purchased. Those comments were able to direct me towards a few nice sets of BFG's on my daily (a Corolla).

Old 11-15-2005, 04:00 PM
cocot
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too am in the process of changing my original Wrangler HT's w/ 65K on them.
I will be getting the BF Goodrich Commercial TA's. I had them before and they were great. The all season ones. http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgap...aallseason.jsp
They have a more aggressive one called the Traction TA http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgap...tion.jsp<br />
You also might consider the Dunlop Rover Radial RT http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....al+Rover+R%2FT
I have a set of these as snow tires and they are incredible in the rain or snow. Plus they come in load range E.

Last edited by cocot; 11-15-2005 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:44 AM
Obsidian
Freshman User
I got rid of the GY's HT's that came on my 02 E-350SD W/V-10, they were trash.

Have had the Mish LTX-MS (same OEM size) for a year and 10K miles, no problems at all, when the van is empty run 50/70 PSI and when loaded go up to 55/80 and it rides like what it is, a heavy duty vehicle. As others indicated check out Tire Rack or 1010tires. I special ordered my LTX-MS thru Wal-Mart the price with them was $159.41 each. Only took them three days to get them in. They were cheaper than any other local tire store in my area by $35-40 each.

Old 11-19-2005, 05:46 PM
al_e._gator
Senior User
I have the Michelin LTX and love them wet or dry. Don't know what they'll be like in snow yet.

Old 12-01-2005, 02:15 AM
rls302s
New User
Talking Tires:

I've been running the Mitchelin LTX for over 2 years on my E-150 in all weather conditions and they are just like Tony say's GREAT.

Ron

Old 12-01-2005, 12:10 PM
_Gadget
Freshman User
I have BF Goodrich All-Terrain A/T KO 245/75R16 on my E350. When they were new (1st year or so) I was absolutely unstoppable on the road no matter what the conditions. Now, they are getting a bit worn (about 56,000 kms) and I find I no longer have the same traction I used to, despite the fact that there is still plenty of tread (according to the design specs) left on these tires.

If traction was the only concern, you can't do much better than a new pair of these (I'm planning to buy four new ones and dedicate them to winter use, and use the ones I've got for summer). If you want something that wears a little longer, I'd look elsewhere.

Old 12-03-2005, 11:31 PM
jbury
New User
-Gadget, Thanks for your evaluation on the BFG A/T KO tires. I am looking at these very seriously to replace the D rated off brand one I have on my new E350 95 Club Wagon that I just got back in July. I spend my summers in easten Oregon on a lot of gravel roads. This is all volcanic geology, which means obsidian and chert (think, driving on glass shards!) and am tired of having sidewalls (Michelen LTX's) getting sidewalls cut up and failing. Michelens are great till you subject them to long drives on gravel in the west. Anyway, my question to all of you is: Is there any difference to having wider on narrower tires. I have 225's now. What is the advantage to going up to a 235 or 245 width?

Old 12-04-2005, 06:16 PM
Obsidian
Freshman User
Exclamation

The newer E-350 have up to 245/75r/16 LRE tires as standard equip. I think some of the stripped work/delivery style vans come with 225's but still LRE.
One thing I do know is the 245 GoodYear HT that came on the truck are slightly smaller than the same size Michelin that I put on. Just something you may want to check when you replace. Were the D rated the size that came standard or were they just the ones that came with the van when you got it. You may want to check the inside of the front door to see what was on it when it was new.....

Old 12-04-2005, 11:39 PM
jbury
New User
Obsidian, Thanks for the reply. My door plate says LT225/7516E. The guy I bought the Van from put on some Falken LT225/16D's. He knew he was planning to sell it and didn't want to put on expensive replacements. I have no idea what was there before. The rest of the van was in very good shape so I knew I was looking at replacing less expensixe tires. The GVWR on the van is 8700LB, it is a Club Wagon E-350(1995). I am retired and I plan to used this as a very mini motorhome. Just have a cot and basic camping gear in it. I am sort of a minimalist. So I do not carry a lot of weight. I guess what I am trying to ask is will wider tires be better on gravel roads that like to eat up sidewalls? I am hoping the BFG T/A KO with the triple sidewall will be better. And yes, most of the time is spent on pavemment getting out to these remote regions. I have an old 74 F250 4x4 for the dirty work and is more like a tractor than a truck, but not much fun on long trips. Don't mind spending more up front to have the better setup for what I am trying to do. Thanks again for your response.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:46 AM
_Gadget
Freshman User
I should add that the 56,000 kms I put on those BFG A/T KO's included a lot of backroads driving - dirt, gravel, and the like. I damaged one tire by running over a piece of angle iron embedded in the road - pierced the tire completely and was unrepairable, so I had to buy a new tire. Other than that, I have driven over some pretty sketchy stuff and never had a problem... driving across Canada wore the tires more than the nastiest sharp gravel has - and that might be an alignment issue. The treads are worn, but still with sufficient depth to continue to use them, although as I mentioned there is a significant difference between the traction I have now and the traction I had when these tires were new. I don't know if that's entirely due to wear, or if the rubber compound has tempered a bit changing its properties? In any case, if mileage is your primary concern, you should probably look at a commercial fleet tire. For me, the traction and durability for non-paved roads is important enough to pony up for a second set of these when the time comes. My E350 is a '94, and the 245/75R16 is standard for this van. Apparently 225's are the size used for dual rear wheel conversions.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:25 PM
jbury
New User
Thanks _Gadget. I just wanted to hear that these tires are durable and will work on my E350. I realize that no tire is going to fit all categories and are indestructible. I luckily don't have to deal with snow and will use up what I got on the ones I have and then replace them with the BFG A/T KO 245E this spring for my summer trips and beyond. Still don't know why the door sticker says 225, maybe Ford wanted to save a few bucks in the 95 year? It's just a plain old passenger van, not a motor home. Anyway, I really do appreciate your input on this.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:02 PM
93BigBlackBronco
Senior User
Since you live in Oregon I would go with Les Shwab Wildcat APT just put a set on our E350 Clubwagon, If you are a Costco member The Michelin X Radial LT (Light truck)are great I have them on our GMC Safari. I've had 2 sets of Passenger car radials on this van and they sucked.
Costco also sells the BF Goodrich Commercial TA I have those on another E350 work van they are great Highway tread, and work well in the rain (don't hum like the Les Scwab All Season) have'nt run them in snow.
I've had real good luck with all of these but think the Michelins are best.

Last edited by 93BigBlackBronco; 12-08-2005 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply: E350 new tire recommendation for rain, snow?