6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Engine Light W/ AFE Install?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 11:38 AM
emag
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Light W/ AFE Install?

After Installing an AFE Stage II air intake and driving the truck about 20 miles the engine light came on. The only other engine modification I have is a Banks Monster Exhaust. Has anyone experienced this? What should/can I do? thanks in advance.

Old 10-31-2005, 12:31 PM
Mustang42
Senior User
I believe this is pretty common with the AFE Stage II. The problem has to do with the amount of air flow through the mass air flow sensor. AFE is supposed to be working on a problem for this. May want to give them a call.

Old 10-31-2005, 12:59 PM
b_dub
Senior User
correct, had the same problem, called them and they sent replacement filter to "fix the problem" haven't had time to reinstall the system after I took it out the first time. I want to dyno it before and after to have some hard facts for the disbelievers here. Have heard that if the replacement filter doesn't work they will take it back/ or send you a new intake tube that really fixes the problem.

Old 10-31-2005, 01:42 PM
emag
Junior User
I just got off the phone with AFE and as stated here (Did search) they are aware of the problem and are about a week away from manufacturing the new part (Elbow). They told me the location of the Mass Airflow Sensor is the cause and needs to be relocated to the top. According to the person I talked to they have had no problems with the test vehicle thus far.They took down my name and number and said they will be in touch. I hope this is the case. Meanwhile I will remove it and put in the stock unit until the new part arrives. I will keep you guys updated.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:09 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by b_dub
correct, had the same problem, called them and they sent replacement filter to "fix the problem" haven't had time to reinstall the system after I took it out the first time. I want to dyno it before and after to have some hard facts for the disbelievers here. Have heard that if the replacement filter doesn't work they will take it back/ or send you a new intake tube that really fixes the problem.
Went to the AFE website to see what and how they represent their information (for the 6.0L PSD motor).

http://www.afefilters.com/10-10100%2...F%20Review.htm

First off, I am a believer in the stock system and that no filter does as good a job in the long run. Their own website claims a gain of only 6HP and 9ft-lbs of torque. Their own graph shows this gain (max gain) at 2,700 rpms!!! At 70mph I am at 2,000 and I rarely ever see 2,700 rpm's for more than a few seconds at wide open throttle!!

I am not sure if a gain of 6HP is worth the cost and getting rid of the stock set-up. We have all heard of the horror stories and posts on this site (and others) of dirt burning up the motor, turbo and injectors. I am not saying not to buy the AFE (or any other aftermarket system)... but I am questioning the cost, maintanence to clean and re-oil and the potential for less than stock air filtration... only to gain at the most 6HP?

Keep in mind that Ford is always trying to one-up Chevy and Dodge (as they do to Ford)... if they could safely increase HP and torque that easily and safely... they would have in my opinion... and they didn't (wonder why)?

Not going to debate and get into a "war" with anyone, but again I question the expense, time, cleaning and filtering capability over the Donnalson filter.

Jeff

Old 10-31-2005, 02:51 PM
b_dub
Senior User
FYI, your #'s are for the stage 1 system, we're talking the stage 2 system. I hope to have my own dyno results in the next week or 2 to verify there claims.

http://www.afefilters.com/images/54-10392.pdf

I like the comment on the perfeclty placed mass air sensor.

Old 10-31-2005, 03:37 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
FYI, your #'s are for the stage 1 system, we're talking the stage 2 system. I hope to have my own dyno results in the next week or 2 to verify there claims.

http://www.afefilters.com/images/54-10392.pdf

I like the comment on the perfeclty placed mass air sensor.
Thanks for correcting me about Stage I and Stage II. I did not see it when I clicked on their Ford logo.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 10-31-2005, 04:10 PM
b_dub
Senior User
no problem, was just getting overly defensive. it's not just 6 hp. it's 12.

Old 11-04-2005, 11:44 PM
2002X
Senior User
I installed mine two weeks ago and had the same problem. Stage II system. I called the dealer and they said they could tweak the program". I figured it was the Mass Sensor...so I was not that worried. It was a real pain to get that on ...hate to think about having to do it again. Glad to here that they are working on it. I will call them Monday and hopefully get the new ell.

I can tell you that after almost a full tank, my milage improve by 1.6 mpg and I can really hear the turbo winding up better. Still have stock exhaust for now. You can tell the difference...before felt like I was draging somthing, now it is more responsive. I had a similar one on my 7.3 and had similar results.

Old 11-09-2005, 12:07 AM
2002X
Senior User
Weird....the engine light went away....for a few days...then came back...hmm..

I still have not had time to contact AFE. Anyone received a new pipe to fix this issue yet?

Old 01-25-2006, 11:33 AM
b_dub
Senior User
anyone hear anything yet? don't want to call if I don't have to.

Last edited by b_dub; 01-25-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:33 PM
emag
Junior User
I've been in contact with AFE. They told me they well be delivering the new unit (elbow) within three weeks( as of last week). They are offering an extra filter and filter cleaner for our troubles. Cross your fingers?

Old 01-25-2006, 09:36 PM
2002X
Senior User
Great news. Let's keep each other informed. I have been wanting to call for weeks to follow up.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:30 PM
clouden
Junior User
no problem, was just getting overly defensive. it's not just 6 hp. it's 12.

OH COME ON PETTY PEOPLE, really who gets a dyno to measure an extra 12 (according to the box)hp?

Does the clean/dirty sensor for the air filter come into play with the stage 2 or is it only the amount of air?

Old 01-27-2006, 07:00 AM
Stang_luvr
New User
I bought and installed my stage 2 AFE last week with the blue filter, and have had absolutely no troubles. The only problem I had was the hole where the MAF sensor was located wasn't quite lined up correctly with the 4 mounting screw holes...a little filing later and bingo...everything lined up perfectly...and talk about a tight squeeze for the elbow under the radiator reservoir...even with moving it, it was a tight fit...trucks running great, haven't even gotten a full tank of fuel through it yet to see if I've seen any increase in mpg or not...

Quick Reply: Engine Light W/ AFE Install?