1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

I need experienced advice on the mods I chose

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 12:36 AM
RobbyMartin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink I need experienced advice on the mods I chose

I have a 2002 F-150 Supercrew with a 4.6L. I have no clue what gears are in it but it was a dog off the line to start with but once it got moving it was fine. I ended up lifting the thing 7.5" and slapped 35" tires on it and believe it or not the performance didn't drop as much as I expected it to. I recently threw on the AirAid intake kit and PowerAid spacer and purchased the Hypertech Power Programmer III and I am NOT impressed with the output that I've noticed, or should I say haven't noticed. Right now my truck seems to "load up" off the line and then gets going. What could be the problem there? Is it trying to swallow too much air? Another thing is, I know I need to put new gears in it but I am trying to figure out if 4:11 or 4:56's are my best bet. Please help me with that mod. The other help that I need is: Did I purchase the right programmer? I wanted the try the Diablo Predator but no one I knew had any knowledge of their performance. Doesn't the Predator offer more options than the others and if so, is it worth it? Any advice or input would be invaluable.

Old 10-29-2005, 06:02 PM
xtrford
Posting Guru
Dont bother with a new programmer, I'm pretty sure the one you have is decent. Stick to your guns with a 4:56 swap, you wont be dissappointed......probably the best bang for your buck mod you could do!

Old 10-29-2005, 06:47 PM
RobbyMartin
Senior User
Since I'm new at all this mod stuff, what do you think of the truck "loading up" when I accelerate off the live? It's almost like I am drowning it with air and as soon as it catches its breath it moves. Would this have to do with the new air/fuel mixture from the programmer or the new intake system? I do have the luxury of returning the stuff I just bought but I need to do it quick if I do.

Old 10-30-2005, 03:24 AM
code_red
Senior User
How many miles does the truck have on it?

Old 10-30-2005, 10:26 AM
RobbyMartin
Senior User
Originally Posted by code_red
How many miles does the truck have on it?
There are about 88,000 miles on it but it's always been a dog. I used to drive a stock Honda Civic and when I bought the 2002 F-150 4.6 I was happier than a fat kid with chocolate cake....until I drove a friends stock 1998 F-150 4.6. His truck was simply more responsive. You mash the gas and it moved. With mine, you mash the gas and it hesitates and then moves, VERY SLOWLY. BUT once it gets rolling it's fine. Any suggestions?

Since I bought it I've put a 7.5" lift and 35" tires on it and will be putting 4:56 gears in it to get it back to where she should be.

Old 10-30-2005, 03:48 PM
xtrford
Posting Guru
Sounds like the maf sensor is dirty and not measuring the airflow properly, I'm not an expert by no means but it did help my truck out a little, do a search on it in the forum and you will get all the info you need to do it yourself. Might want to do a seafoam treatment for your intake and combustion chambers, pick up a can at your local Napa and just follow the instructions.

Old 10-30-2005, 03:54 PM
xtrford
Posting Guru
If that doesnt do anything for ya I wont think the added diameter of the tires you put on basically turned your axle into a higher ratio hence the loss of power from start-up. The 4:56's would drastically improve pick-up from a dead stop and you would be surprised your gas mileage doesnt change a whole lot.

Old 10-30-2005, 07:06 PM
RobbyMartin
Senior User
Originally Posted by xtrford
Sounds like the maf sensor is dirty and not measuring the airflow properly, I'm not an expert by no means but it did help my truck out a little, do a search on it in the forum and you will get all the info you need to do it yourself. Might want to do a seafoam treatment for your intake and combustion chambers, pick up a can at your local Napa and just follow the instructions.

I've cleaned my MAS with brake cleaner and that helped a smidge but the truck still wouldn't get out of its own way. What is the seafoam treatment? Is it actually called seafoam treatment?

Old 10-30-2005, 07:08 PM
RobbyMartin
Senior User
Originally Posted by xtrford
If that doesnt do anything for ya I wont think the added diameter of the tires you put on basically turned your axle into a higher ratio hence the loss of power from start-up. The 4:56's would drastically improve pick-up from a dead stop and you would be surprised your gas mileage doesnt change a whole lot.
I plan to re-gear it to 4:56's but it was a dog before I put 35's on it.

Old 10-30-2005, 10:21 PM
xtrford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RobbyMartin
I've cleaned my MAS with brake cleaner and that helped a smidge but the truck still wouldn't get out of its own way. What is the seafoam treatment? Is it actually called seafoam treatment?
Its basically a naptha solvent and its called "Sea Foam Engine Treatment" and to put it simply, you first find small diameter tubing, insert one end in the can and the other to your pcv tube (make sure engine is at operating temp), let the vacuum suck about a 1/3-1/2 of the can, it helps to pinch the tubing with your fingers so the engine doesnt stall, stop motor and let it sit for 15 mins, start her up and drive it like you stole it, enjoy the huge white cloud of smoke that will engulf the neighborhood, you will notice smoother idling and crisper acceleration after one of these treatments, on high mileage motors it wouldnt hurt to repeat the process. Put the rest of the can in your feul tank to clean your injectors and your done.

Old 12-08-2005, 02:52 AM
frdtuff
New User
I have 4:56 gears in my truck with 35's off the line its still a dog. 40-80 mph there's a noticable gain but it won't go much over 85

Old 12-08-2005, 04:24 AM
fbodyfan
Senior User
I wouldn't think its swallowing too much air. That can happen in a carbed engine, but in a fuel injected motor, as long as the engine has an accurate read of how much air is coming in, it can correctly compensate. That's why you don't want to "over-carb" an engine, like putting a 1000cfm carb on a puny carbed v6, it'll drown it. Not so with fuel injection. It sounds like its not being metered, except it only happens off the line. thats kinda weird. I have almost the same mods as you with an 01 5.4 - k&n 77series intake, bbk 75mm throttle body, glasspacked exhaust, throttle body spacer, and my truck visibly raises the driver side up when you mash the gas at a stop, its got no problem off the line.

Old 12-08-2005, 04:33 AM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm wondering if he had a gasket leak or a fuel delivery problem.

Has the fuel filter been changed? A fuel pressure check would be a step I'd consider.

Old 12-08-2005, 08:13 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Well since your putting all that $$ into it, why not a supercharger from a Mustang 4.6? You would definately get improved power from that.

Old 12-08-2005, 08:57 AM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In thinking about it, again, I strongly suggest you research the way the engine, torque-converter (could be your problem) and transmission -should- work, and get them that way, before investing heavily in a pig.

Best,

GD

Quick Reply: I need experienced advice on the mods I chose