1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Options to get better fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 08:09 PM
73cntry
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Options to get better fuel mileage

Hi everyone, I have a 94 7.3l turbo direct injection diesel. (F-350 crew cab dually) The truck is awesome and has a 5 speed manual trans. Its all stock so any input you may have is appreciated.

Old 10-23-2005, 10:54 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
a open element air filter will help and flow through muffler. a larger diameter downpipe. keeping clean filters in it. keeping the fuel reg cleaned out.

Old 10-24-2005, 04:38 AM
1997F-350
Postmaster
and only driving when neccessary. that one works the best for me.

Old 10-24-2005, 07:05 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
in my opinion mods only increase mileage a very tiny bit. my open air intake and exhaust didn't help a bit. one reason was i can't keep my foot out of the throttle.

but driving habits are #1. about 2 months ago i decided to drive 65 or below. in michigan highway is 70 and i normally drove that fast on country roads too. but i decided to only go 65 or below which keeps rpm's down. i still hammer it off corners just as much but i went from 14 mpg to 16 and quite often 17 mpg. i have a 95 f-250 4x4 auto with 3.55.

your dually may be able to get those numbers with some change in your habits but never with an mods.

hope that helps
tim

Old 10-24-2005, 11:47 AM
wycowboy
Elder User
Wink

Ok I've been looking at this for a while. since MPG is very important to me both ads an economice issue as well as an envviromental and political issue.. =There was a great post flloating around here but I cant find it now but if you like I can e-mail the pdf. file to you. But this is what I Have found MPG boils down to.
Driveing habits will gain or loose you as much as 30% MPG.
in our PSD's keeping the tack under 2000 seems key but for me 1500 seems to be the magic #.
The other thing to watch is your pyro,. I seem to get better MPG around 600* if I can keep it there. This is some times a pain but it seem to be helping.
Next is wind resistance driving under 55 will help a ton. you loose .1 MPG for evey mph over 55. this will also help keep the pyro and RPM's inthe right ranges.
Keeping the tires properly inflated and not with excessive tred, is the next big key and if you do mostly in town under 50 mph it is bigger than wind resistance . For every 10psi that a tire is under infalted you loose 1% in economy. I run mine at 80psi
Keep your truck as light as possable . it may not seem like it would matter all that much on a bg truck like ours but it does.

As far as MODs to improve I ve agree with the intake and exhaust. keeping your oil changed and other fluids.. and NOT over filling the fluids. This leads to chuning and more resistance.
chips and tuners may or my not increes MPG. I have a SCTM and have been running it on the tow safe mode. and in conjuntion with the above mentoned driving habits have seen 2mpg improvement both towing and not.
and I will have to exsperiment more with the other settings.

SO here is what my truck had been getting the last few fill ups with the tuner. all hand calculated and filled to the top of the filler neck not when the nozzel clicks.
Towing 8K at ,cc set @ 55 pref towsetting all hwy- 14.5
towing 7K a keeping pyro at 600* all hwy tow safe setting 16+
hwy w/ 1500lb in bed keeping pyro @ 600*tow safe setting 19.6 MPG
towing 4K mix town and hwy keeping pyro 600* ish tow safe setting. 17.5

I'm preety hapy with those # all thing considered but I would like to get more. but also wnat to those # last like this.
But My truck is not setup well for mpg / I have a 97-F-350 CC.4x4, e4od, 4.10 .195k I have a big steel chell on the back that weighs over 400lb and sits above the cab with a big flat face. that catches a ton of wind. pluss at the moment I'm driving around with an extra 1000lb in the bed. At the moent my trucks weighs 9800lb. all the above # were achive at that weight or heavier!
some say additves make a differance but I hav enot done any exstensive testing my self.
so that is what I know about mpg hope it helps some. J

Old 10-24-2005, 03:44 PM
73cntry
Senior User
Smile

[QUOTE=wycowboy]
The other thing to watch is your pyro,. I seem to get better MPG around 600* if I can keep it there. This is some times a pain but it seem to be helping.
As far as MODs to improve I ve agree with the intake and exhaust. keeping your oil changed and other fluids.. and NOT over filling the fluids. This leads to chuning and more resistance.
chips and tuners may or my not increes MPG. I have a SCTM and have been running it on the tow safe mode. and in conjuntion with the above mentoned driving habits have seen 2mpg improvement both towing and not.
and I will have to exsperiment more with the other settings.

Sounds good to me I kept my foot out of it on the way home its raining!
What is pyro? SCTM? Thanks for the help and I do like the big truck just wanna keep it around awhile. My dad had an 88 F250 5spd and put 350k on it b4 selling it.

Old 10-24-2005, 03:55 PM
73cntry
Senior User
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
in my opinion mods only increase mileage a very tiny bit. my open air intake and exhaust didn't help a bit. one reason was i can't keep my foot out of the throttle.
tim
Hey tim I do have a open K&N air filter and box. But you are right even though the big trucks do have that sweet up n go staying in the lower rpms' does help!
Did the exhaust mod help any torque or hp gains?

Thanks,
Bruce

Old 10-24-2005, 03:59 PM
wycowboy
Elder User
Yeah I lke a big truck too, and I need a reig that can hadle a load well, but I cant aford two vehicles so I have to keep an eye an MPG's/
A Pyro is Pyromeater. which mesures the exhaust gas temp's I truly recomend one even if your truck is not modified at all. it can realy save your engine and get your truck to that 350K mark they are not all that exspensive of a gauge and worth it. !!I learned so much about how my truck proforms by whatching my pyro.
A SCTM in a "Super Chip Micro Tuner" it is a brand of tuner , there armmany out there. that helps get more HP and torque out of our trucks. it differs froma"Chip" in that it get pluged in to the data port under the dash and re programs your ECU. where as a chip actuly gets stacked / pluged in to the circit bourd in the ECU it's self. both add power and may add mileage. both do different things better that the other. J

Old 10-24-2005, 04:44 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 73cntry
Hey tim I do have a open K&N air filter and box. But you are right even though the big trucks do have that sweet up n go staying in the lower rpms' does help!
Did the exhaust mod help any torque or hp gains?

Thanks,
Bruce
i didn't really feel any difference with my exhaust. i went from stock pipe with no muffler and gutted cat to stock downpipe (not for long) into 4 inch stright to 45 degree elbow in front of rear tire with about 1.5 foot of 5 inch chrome pipe (see my gallery)

the stock downpipe replacement would make the most difference but it's not in the budget yet.

Old 10-24-2005, 06:55 PM
73cntry
Senior User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wycowboy
A Pyro is Pyromeater. which mesures the exhaust gas temp's I truly recomend A SCTM in a "Super Chip Micro Tuner" it is a brand of tuner , there armmany out there. that helps get more HP and torque out of our trucks. it differs froma"Chip" in that it get pluged in to the data port under the dash and re programs your ECU. where as a chip actuly gets stacked / pluged in to the circit bourd in the ECU it's self. both add power and may add mileage. both do different things better that the other. J
Sounds good thanks for your help,
Bruce

Old 10-24-2005, 07:01 PM
73cntry
Senior User
Turbo

Originally Posted by tjbeggs
the stock downpipe replacement would make the most difference but it's not in the budget yet.
I've read about that (replacing the downpipe frees up the turbo quite a bit.
Bruce

Old 10-26-2005, 06:34 PM
WolfRiver
New User
'95 F-350 7.0 PSDiesel Crew Cab 184,000 miles. Bought it from my best friend 8 months ago. I love it, all except for the $110 it costs to fill it up now, up from $80 earlier in the year! Two months ago I bought an EnergyCel after market device from Consumer First. At first not much benefit, but after re-setting the computer, the results were substantial. The mileage went from 14.5 mpg to 17.5 mpg. After a few weeks it went back to 16 mpg, signalling a necessary oil change. The mileage is now regularly between 17 mpg and 18 mpg, with an all time high of 19.2 mpg. (Without load). Horsepower up 10%, torque up 10%, Emissions down 52%. I'm now looking at chips.

Old 10-28-2005, 11:30 PM
wycowboy
Elder User
Originally Posted by WolfRiver
'95 F-350 7.0 PSDiesel Crew Cab 184,000 miles. Bought it from my best friend 8 months ago. I love it, all except for the $110 it costs to fill it up now, up from $80 earlier in the year! Two months ago I bought an EnergyCel after market device from Consumer First. At first not much benefit, but after re-setting the computer, the results were substantial. The mileage went from 14.5 mpg to 17.5 mpg. After a few weeks it went back to 16 mpg, signalling a necessary oil change. The mileage is now regularly between 17 mpg and 18 mpg, with an all time high of 19.2 mpg. (Without load). Horsepower up 10%, torque up 10%, Emissions down 52%. I'm now looking at chips.
You have got to be kidding me. $200 for magnets that give you better MPG!!???
Dose it realy work?? how do you verify the %10 gain in HP & torque and the 52% less emissions? J

Old 10-31-2005, 10:23 AM
WolfRiver
New User
Yes, "$200 for magnets." That's was my reaction. But it worked for me. Actually my mileage gain is closer to 20% not ten. That's $20+ per fill-up. (Two tanks - normal fill-up is about 34 gallons). I fill-up about 6 times per month, so after two months the unit paid for itself.

The torque and horsepower results were verified on a dynomometer.

A local news station has a special segment coming on their independent tests. 10% increase in horsepower, 10% increase in torque, 50% reduction in emissions, and a 28% increase in mpg. The test vehicle was a 1999 Toyota forerunner.

The computer MUST be re-set! Some vehicles are having problems due to computer overrides. I'm still trying to get a list.

Old 10-31-2005, 10:54 AM
wycowboy
Elder User
thanks wolf!! I cant say i m not alittel skeptical but you have defanatly peaked my interest. It said that you should put it between the fuel pump an the motor. on our OBD psd's thats not goingto work?? where did you put yours.? Right now I'm getting around 19 MPG driving consevitily (aka diveing like a dead grandma) with the tuner"SCTM " set on it; lowest setting... a 20% increese would put me at 23-24 MPG which would be incredable!! .. The way I have figuerd it now If one drives 10Kmiles a year, evrey 1MPG improvement saves $100 a year, that is with$3 a gallon fuel.
what i wonder is if it would stil workwiht my tuner as well or is the tuner getting a better buren buy uppping the injectior pressuer. thanks for the info J

Quick Reply: Options to get better fuel mileage