1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Turbo boost pressure low????

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 12:47 PM
crapr6
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo boost pressure low????

Hey guys i have a 1994.5 F350 with the powerstroke. Iam just wondering if my turbo is worn out of is it normal for it to have about 17-18psi under load. here is the info on my truck..
motor-170k on it,5speed
fte cold air intake,3in down pipe to 4in straight pipe,banks bighoss stage 4 chip, stacked with the edge-ez, 99 superduty intercooler, boost and egt gauge..now before i put the intercooler on the truck the boost was still at 17-18 psi so i know since ive installed the intercooler there isnt any leaks there. this boost reading is underload reving the heck out of the motor..now is it normal for it to have these boost readings? I just see some superduty's running around here with 30psi with the same mod's. i understand they have a diffrent turbo, but why is my boost psi so low???any help would be great thanks
Erik

Old 10-08-2005, 01:01 PM
lukecline
Posting Guru
yep your boost sounds right. superduty's have much larger injectors than our trucks so that is why they push so much more boost. Even with all my mods i rarely see 35 psi

luke

Old 10-08-2005, 01:26 PM
ltfox
Posting Guru
Like Luke said, more fuel makes more boost. So your about right. With my set-up in sig. I can only get 20psi pulling real hard. One thing you can check is the condition of the compressor wheel, see if its dusted a bit, but still your sounding about right. What side of the intercooler are you reading boost??

Old 10-08-2005, 01:27 PM
crapr6
Senior User
Originally Posted by lukecline
yep your boost sounds right. superduty's have much larger injectors than our trucks so that is why they push so much more boost. Even with all my mods i rarely see 35 psi

luke
thanks for the reply....so what is the best way of increasing the boost psi...
First injectors then a superduty or larger turbo? i understand the superduty turbo's have diffrent tube sizes and what not, but iam not worry about fabin up some pipes and what not..
Erik

Old 10-08-2005, 01:29 PM
crapr6
Senior User
Originally Posted by ltfox
Like Luke said, more fuel makes more boost. So your about right. With my set-up in sig. I can only get 20psi pulling real hard. One thing you can check is the condition of the compressor wheel, see if its dusted a bit, but still your sounding about right. What side of the intercooler are you reading boost??
Iam reading boost psi from a T connector i putin the vacuum line for the MAP sensor so it would be directly from the intake manifold.
rik

Old 10-08-2005, 03:02 PM
lukecline
Posting Guru
Your turbo is good enough to support 400+ hp with, been there done that . Look at www.beansdieselperformance.com for fuel . Oh and dont waste your time by putting a superduty turbo on your truck, unless your going to upgrade to a ball bearing turbo. Our stockers are better than a stock superduty turbo anyway. If you want to upgrade turbo, go with a hypermax h2e. You will need more fuel to spool it, stock injectors wont even begin to light that turbo.

luke

Old 10-09-2005, 09:32 AM
crapr6
Senior User
Your turbo is good enough to support 400+ hp with, been there done that . Look at www.beansdieselperformance.com for fuel . Oh and dont waste your time by putting a superduty turbo on your truck, unless your going to upgrade to a ball bearing turbo. Our stockers are better than a stock superduty turbo anyway. If you want to upgrade turbo, go with a hypermax h2e. You will need more fuel to spool it, stock injectors wont even begin to light that turbo.

luke
Thanks great info.....
Erik

Old 10-09-2005, 11:32 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by crapr6
so what is the best way of increasing the boost psi...
The only way to do it is to add more fuel. If you want boost in the 30's you have t have injectors...or propane.

Old 10-09-2005, 03:57 PM
crapr6
Senior User
Originally Posted by cookie88
The only way to do it is to add more fuel. If you want boost in the 30's you have t have injectors...or propane.
I understand now that i need bigger injector's..i was looking at the Bean's diesel performance and also the Swamp's injectors....Now i just need to figure out if i want the Baby Swamp's or BDP stage 2's????Iam looking to make around 350-400HP and mostly unload (no trailer) driving...But here and there will be towing a car trailer and my mustang to the track, but iam not worry about that...Thanks again for all the great info
Erik

Old 10-09-2005, 06:24 PM
lukecline
Posting Guru
baby swamps have made 350 range but to get to 400 hp you will need bdp stage 2's.

Old 10-09-2005, 09:12 PM
FarmboyAC
Senior User
I have seen 23 or so pounds with my truck and the mods listed. That was on a long hill in 3rd gear and the tuner on the 80 horse mode. O yeah i hade a goosneck with 6 haybed wagons on it prolly around 18,000 total weight i was pulling. hehe

Old 10-10-2005, 10:51 AM
crapr6
Senior User
baby swamps have made 350 range but to get to 400 hp you will need bdp stage 2's.
yeah i was looking at the stage 2 BDP injectors..but before i go buy injectors ive been thinking about doing a "fueler" mod to my truck..its a long story, but a local guy with a superduty did it to his truck and it was just like putting bigger injectors. It invovles hooking a NOS solenoid up to the fuel reuglator on the side of the fuel filter on the powerstroke then putting a NOS nozzle in the cold side pipe right before it goes to the Y into the motor. In the nozzle u install a jet ( guy with the super duty used a #28 jet )...its bascilly like injecting raw fuel into the motor....iam going to try it today with parts from a NOS kit i have laying around and ill report back to u guys....
Erik

Old 10-10-2005, 11:13 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Hmmm...wet manifold diesel injection. Cool idea. I would speculate that the manifold fuel would ignite prior to the injector firing, so it would be similar to the pilot shot of a split shot injector.

I think you would want to take the same precautions neccessary with a propane system...too much fuel too early in the cycle could put you in a bad way.

Old 10-10-2005, 01:44 PM
crapr6
Senior User
Originally Posted by cookie88
Hmmm...wet manifold diesel injection. Cool idea. I would speculate that the manifold fuel would ignite prior to the injector firing, so it would be similar to the pilot shot of a split shot injector.

I think you would want to take the same precautions neccessary with a propane system...too much fuel too early in the cycle could put you in a bad way.
well just got back from a "TEST DRIVE"...LOL. before i tell u what happen on the test drive i should note that i checked all my NOS jet numbers and the small's i had was a #47, i called the local speed shop's and thay carried none....so anyway i tryed it in only 3rd gear with the #47 jet. I hooked it up to a full throttle switch and it seem to work. It layed out some major smoke (ton's more then with all mods and the bank's bighoss stage 4 chip)..but i notice it gave me just a little bit more (HP) accelration then i was waiting for...probley due to the huge jet thats in it. Also noticed the boost gauge number's increased to about 20psi, which normaly i would only see about 17-18. Also noticed the EGT's went up to 1,100, which normaly i would only see 900...but once again i only stayed in it only in 3rd. Iam going to order some NOS jet's (from like 22 to 30) and try that out..will get back when i get some jet's
Erik

Old 10-10-2005, 02:51 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
200 degrees, 3 PSI, and a swift kick in the backside....sounds good. WOT switch is a good idea.

Any downside show up yet?

Quick Reply: Turbo boost pressure low????