6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

superchip 1704a concern

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 07:04 PM
simdaddy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile superchip 1704a concern

Just installed superchips tuner in my 2005 PSD with magnaflow exhaust turbo back 4" with no cat. I understand theres a "learning period" for tuners/ modules but in superchips manual didnt see one. I drove it for about 200 miles before full throttle in level 2 economy mode. The truck accelerated hard and shifted then acted like it was dying. Is there a defueling mode in the tuner that caused this or something else? This site is very cool....lots of knowledge and good info

Old 10-06-2005, 07:07 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand FTE.
Must read if you own a 6.0
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=325000
See you on the boards.
Enjoy FTE …..

Old 10-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Bear Hunter
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by simdaddy
Just installed superchips tuner in my 2005 PSD with magnaflow exhaust turbo back 4" with no cat. I understand theres a "learning period" for tuners/ modules but in superchips manual didnt see one. I drove it for about 200 miles before full throttle in level 2 economy mode. The truck accelerated hard and shifted then acted like it was dying. Is there a defueling mode in the tuner that caused this or something else? This site is very cool....lots of knowledge and good info
That doesn't sound right....have you tried taking the tune out and see if it still does it? Expand on what you mean by "...then acted like it was dying"

Old 10-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by simdaddy
-Check for trouble codes
-Make sure EBP sensor is not bad
-Perhaps there is an issue with your tune, or with the vehicle.
-If all else is normal, call superchips for an RA....they can get-er-done.

Old 10-06-2005, 10:45 PM
simdaddy
New User
Thanks for the response........Forget to mention i am a first time diesel owner and love the super duty...When i said the truck "acted like it was dying" i mean the fuel seemed to shut down and the truck stalled. I just let off the gas and slowed down and it seemed to shift and accelorate fine. I did not try wot throttle again.....Dont know if it matters but i just took off an Edge/Attitude because of bad press and the way it shifted. Had it on for about 2weeks. Does the supertuner require an adjustment period like Edge and other tuners?

Old 10-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
Mine works fine right after the installation of the tune.

For example, I set the truck to stock and then made a couple runs at the drag strip to benchmark the stock performance. Next I loaded the HP tune and made two more runs with no other driving in between. The truck shifted fine.

Any time I've loaded a tune, be it tow safe, econo, or HP, I've never had any learning period performance or shifting issues.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:07 AM
simdaddy
New User
does the truck or tuner have a rev limiter that would have defueled if the rpms got to high? sorry im very new to the tuner computer world........

Old 10-07-2005, 03:00 PM
mrcobra350
Senior User
Mine is doing the same thing since I got it back from Superchips after the latest flash they had to reprogram it. I was towing my boat and passed a car and it fell on its face, let off the pedal and it was ok. I havent had a chance to try it back in stock mode since that happened. Also when pulling my camper going up a slight hill at around 50 mph light throttle it makes a strange sound like the air is going back into the air filter from the engine and starts bucking.Let off the pedal or downshift and it goes away. This is in tow safe. Put it back to stock and it runs fine. Havent had time to call Superchips. I am about ready to send it back for a refund. I dont think it runs a lot better in anything but HP mode and it smokes to much in that setting (tires and exhaust) I dont mind the tire smoke as much as the exhaust smoke.I had a microtuner on my 7.3 and loved it was why I bought another one.
Yes there is a rev limiter but I was only going around 50MPH when passing and was no where near the rev limiter I think.

Old 10-07-2005, 05:31 PM
simdaddy
New User
If theres a rev limiter i probably hit it......i kinda pulled out in front of someone and had to go wot. didnt look at the tach was watching traffic ...I bet thats what it was..got on it a couple of times later and it was fine.......fast

Old 10-07-2005, 09:41 PM
hschiro
Senior User
I also have an 05' PSD, love it- (except for the rough ride on cement freeways here in CA) no problems from day one and have been running it hard with the SuperChips in HP mode almost all the time. I have not had any problems with "dying." When mine shifts at WOT the tires chirp till hitting the 3/4 shift. I know others who have had minor problems, but mostly due to a slight error when loading the program. Just remove and try to reload and see if the problem continues. Good luck

Old 10-08-2005, 09:20 AM
mrcobra350
Senior User
Mine runs great in HP mode only seems to have a problem in tow safe and economy modes. Neither one is a serious problem more like an irritant. The concerns are different in each mode.

Old 10-08-2005, 06:24 PM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mrcobra350
Mine runs great in HP mode only seems to have a problem in tow safe and economy modes. Neither one is a serious problem more like an irritant. The concerns are different in each mode.
Well, unfortunately I have no control over recent revisions or future revisions because I don't work for Superchips anymore.

I would definitely list the concerns and call Superchips.

What kind of issues are you having?

Old 10-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Cur Dog
Senior User
I have never had a problem with mine, but I have only had it set on tow safe. I think I'll go try economy mode right now.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:18 PM
kingranchf350
New User
mrcobra 350..... mine does the same thing that yours does.... on the highway coming to a slight hill it starts to buck and seems like the waste gate or something is opening for a split second..... it gets worse until you make the tranny shift down.... as its bucking i notice the turbo boost gauge dropping right down to zero..... this is worst with hp setting on the superchip.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:23 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kingranchf350
mrcobra 350..... mine does the same thing that yours does.... on the highway coming to a slight hill it starts to buck and seems like the waste gate or something is opening for a split second..... it gets worse until you make the tranny shift down.... as its bucking i notice the turbo boost gauge dropping right down to zero..... this is worst with hp setting on the superchip.
This is a problem with incorrect correlation between commanded exhaust backpressure values and allowable boost/backpressure error within the truck's stock flash. I recently ran into several directly related issues when working on my latest personal calibration.

Make sure you have the latest flash from Ford. If you do, and it is still doing it, then consult Superchips IMO. From what I have seen it is a stock programming error, even if it is only evident with the SCMT installed.

Quick Reply: superchip 1704a concern