1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clunk under my feet

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 05:02 PM
bigtoyfreak
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clunk under my feet

I've had a 2000 F250 for about 2.5yrs and the entire time I have had it, it's had a clunk when I hit even the smallest bumps. I can feel it under my feet and it sounds to be coming right below the pedals. It is not noticable on the passenger side. I have looked at body mounts, suspension mounts, bushing etc and haven't been able to come up with anything. I just bought a 99 F450 and it hase the EXACT same clunk!

Ideas?

Old 10-05-2005, 05:28 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i thought there was a TSB about that but i cant seam to find it. my truck was doing that and it was loose shock bolts. i did see something about brake caliper rattle on bumps

Old 10-05-2005, 05:43 PM
dmp437
Elder User
Sway bar bushings. My '99 had it and my '03 had it. You grab the sway bar and try and move it and it won't move even if the bushings are wore out. A new set of bushings from Energy Suspension and the problem was solved. Ford's OE set of bushings are made from rubber because they are CHEAP. Energy's are made from polyurethane so they will last forever.

No, Energy's bushings are not "rock hard" and totally destroy the ride. The ride goes back to the way it was the day the truck was new.
Part number for the SuperDuty specific "magic bushing set" is 4.5186G

Old 10-05-2005, 07:19 PM
wolfbike1500
Senior User
Yep, it's your sway bar bushings. I had the same thing. The guys here on the forum directed me to the sway bar and I looked at the bushings and saw that the drag links at the ends of the sway bar looked toasted. I got a new set (the bushings in the links are not replaceable) and just for grins I got the bushings that go betweeen the axle and the sway bar. Well, I replaced the drag links first and found that the problem remained. I then replaced the ones between the axle and sway bar and PRESTO! problem gone. Easy and inexpensive.

99 F-350 Lariat V-10 4x4 CC LB SRW

Old 10-05-2005, 10:18 PM
LI250
Senior User
Had a similar clunk that I could felt under my left foot when I hit bumps. 2 dealers said that it was a 3/4 ton truck and to live with it. The last dealer replaced the driver side lower ball joint that had been wiped out. After that there was no more clunk. Now I'm starting to feel the same thing on the passenger side!

Old 10-05-2005, 11:00 PM
bigtoyfreak
Junior User
thanks for the info guys! The F450 looks like the swaybar links and panhard/track bar have just been replaced and there's still the clunk so I'll have to check out the ball joints. The F250 had new ball joints anbd still had the clunk so I'll check out the swaybar links on that one!

Old 10-06-2005, 01:45 AM
Bigfront
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I second the thanks ...I have a 2000 SD 4X4 that has had the clunk you describe since my truck was new...I never took it in cuz I figured it was the Super Duty suspension doing its thing. I have looked under the truck on several occasions, looking for any signs that a part was trying to break free...because thats what it sounds like!!...but nothing. I'll try swapping out the sway bar bushings and see what happens...Is Energy Suspension an FTE Sponsor? If not, does anyone know of an FTE Sponsor who offers a similar kit?? Thanks again...

Bigfront

Old 10-07-2005, 03:51 PM
DELBERT
Junior User
Smile

Thanks for the help I had the same noise load clunking took my sway bar links off and the noise was gone drove to the ford dealer and beleive it or not they had them in stock rides like new now no more noise you guys saved me a lot of labor money

Old 10-07-2005, 09:45 PM
njvig
Freshman User
I have that same noise on my F-350 4x4 dually w/ 4.10 gears that is coming from the drivers side. I used a 3 ton floor jack under the pumpkin ( if that's what you would call it) and raised the drivers front wheel off the ground. I tugged on the wheels to check for play in the ball joints. I then put a big crow bar under the tire and lifted the suspension up and down and still found nothing. What I did notice and hopefully someone can help me identify it; is a plastic ring floating around the axle. The axle part that leads to the u-joints. It looks like there should be some kind of plastic bushing where the drive axle meets the differential housing. Anyone who can help me get a clue would be deeply appreciated. I want to sell the truck, but do not want to sell it with a known ailment.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:49 PM
cparks
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
My 2001 F250 had same problem. First they replaced the sway bar links, then the sway bar, and finally the leaf springs on the front. That leaf springs fixed it and they said it was a bushing. This was at around 30,000 miles still under warranty. Hope this helps.

Old 10-23-2005, 01:53 PM
bfg250
New User
Hi Everyone I am new here, But really into My Ford Super Duty. It is a 2001 6" Lift. 4' dual exhaust. I too am experiencing a "CLUNK" I thought it was the ball joints, They were bad but it did not take the noise away. Mine is also under my feet, and does it when I have the wheels turned or when I put into gear. It is loud and you can feel it. Do you think it couild be sway bar bushings? Any help? I look forward to helping you all as well...

Old 10-23-2005, 09:38 PM
njvig
Freshman User
BFG250 I had questioned what the clunk under my feet was also. From reading the post and from talking to mechanics, everyone was steering me towards the sway bar bushings. In fact though my problem lies within my front drivers side leaf spring. In the front and the back there are these little flat pads that are supposedly made out of Kevlar that are sandwiched between the layers of the spring. They also have this little round nipple that protrudes through a hole in the leaf spring that helps keep it in place. The one on the drivers side towards the back is missing on mine. Now I need to find out how to replace the missing piece. If anyone has any information on this it would be greatly appreciated.
I hope this helps you out BFG250.
Paul

Old 10-24-2005, 10:36 PM
bfg250
New User
Thank You Very Much for the info NJVIG. I do understand it could be the springs as well. I guess it will be trial and error. But thank you very much for getting back to me so fast. This is a great thing.

Old 10-25-2005, 06:39 AM
tileflyer
New User
I have a brand new 2005 super duty and I have the same clunk under my feet. I also had a 2002 super duty with the same clunk. So you guys believe I have a warranty issue on my truck with less than 6,000 miles already?

Old 10-25-2005, 09:28 AM
njvig
Freshman User
Tileflyer,
I definetly believe you have a warranty issue if something doesn't sound right. My one ton 350 dually is quiet if it weren't for this new clunk noise. Just because the Super Duty is a truck doesn't mean it has to sound like an old truck. Maybe after it has been severly beaten it may develop a rattle or two. The only normal clunk the trucks make are the fresh air door when you are starting up with the heat or the a/c on. Then it is only one clunk and it is done.
When my truck was less than a week old the starter went on it and I had to have it flat bedded into dealership. Who would of thought I would have an issue like that so early on in the trucks life?

Quick Reply: clunk under my feet