1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Engine Parts Supplier

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Johnny A
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 1959

Can anyone help me .. I bought a 1959 Ford Panel Van for my KID it's in pretty good shape over all but the suspension and steering are a mess..I would like to know are there any standard kits out there to convert these over or would it be better to rebuild?... HELP......and where can I get the parts ..?...
John

Old 09-13-2005, 02:12 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
welcome aboard, fixing your truck is a matter of how much you want to spend, check the archives for threads, there are a bunch of them out there. Rebuild, ifs, frame swaps etc

Old 09-13-2005, 02:16 PM
SteV8e
Elder User
Johnny A:

Welcome aboard; not my area of experience or expertise, but try starting a thread that has more info in the title. Not many will bite on "1559".

Old 09-13-2005, 02:32 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like the others have mentioned, look at the tech articles that deal with suspension alternatives. Of course you could just rebuild the original suspension with all new parts, most of which should be available from NAPA or other national auto parts stores. Best bet would be to purchase a shop manual from our sponsor Motor Haven or another vendor to get an idea of what you need. If you decide to replace the front suspension with an independent unit you should be a decent welder or have the money to pay someone to do it who is a good welder. Good luck.

Old 09-13-2005, 02:45 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
I am rebuilding a 59 now. Redoing the stock front end was not too expensive - new bushings and kingpins ran less than $150. Most of it is not technically challenging - lots of hard work but no real mechnical skills required. You do need to take the front axle to a machine shop to fit the new king pins. Of course your steering box and knuckles may be shot which adds lots of $$$, but again well within the skills of the average guy.

If you are staying with a stock size engine that should be all you need - if you are going for a hot rod with a fast V8 then you should consider a new independant front suspension with disk brakes - very expensive and involved.

The same with brakes - the stock drums work well enough for the stock engine and you can get a kit to add power disks for about $450. Since it is for your son that is one modification I would consider.

Anyway, post some pictures - I wish I had a panel myself.

Good Luck!

Old 09-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Johnny A
New User
Thanks for the input

Old 09-13-2005, 03:31 PM
Johnny A
New User
Originally Posted by WillyB
I am rebuilding a 59 now. Redoing the stock front end was not too expensive - new bushings and kingpins ran less than $150. Most of it is not technically challenging - lots of hard work but no real mechnical skills required. You do need to take the front axle to a machine shop to fit the new king pins. Of course your steering box and knuckles may be shot which adds lots of $$$, but again well within the skills of the average guy.

If you are staying with a stock size engine that should be all you need - if you are going for a hot rod with a fast V8 then you should consider a new independant front suspension with disk brakes - very expensive and involved.

The same with brakes - the stock drums work well enough for the stock engine and you can get a kit to add power disks for about $450. Since it is for your son that is one modification I would consider.

Anyway, post some pictures - I wish I had a panel myself.

Good Luck!
I am thinking I want to stay stock but seriously need to up grade to power steering and or change the front end all together.. it has a V8 (351) and wide tires what should I do and where should I look? I was told a toyota front steering syestem fits well?..Any idea's ?

Old 09-13-2005, 03:43 PM
Johnny A
New User
Smile Steering Over Haul and Parts 1559 van

I am looking for parts and suggestion on rebuilding the front end the steering box is a mess and needs attention I would like to add power steering!!! any idea;s out there?... it is a 1959 f100 panel van in decent shape ..

Old 09-13-2005, 09:35 PM
fatfords
Elder User
John,
The front suspension alternatives the others have referenced can be found here,
https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/10/0/
This is a good summary and description of the most common front end upgrades. The Toyota power steering conversion is quite common also. If you search this forum, I'm sure you can find some good reading. You might also try the vendors that sell the kits, such as Mid-Fifty or Bobco.

Good Luck and Welcome to FTE!
Kent

Old 09-14-2005, 07:02 AM
krautwolf
Mountain Pass
59 Panel

While I left the front suspension stock in my '59 panel, I did install a front power disc brake kit. It eliminates the requirement for "mechanical sympathy" in maintaining your distance between the vehicle ahead of you and makes it safe for use in city freeway driving. I think this is the single most important safety upgrade you can install in a weekend for about $900.00. You can do it for less if you get salvage yard parts.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:28 AM
Johnny A
New User
Talking Brakes

Thanks for the help Fella's I like the disk brake idea and will look into it, what is the best way to go with parts for that ?..Chevy Ford?.. I have a great junk yard in town so parts should be -a plenty, I know there are a ton of good idea's posted but it would sure help to talk to someone that has already been where I am ... if anyone is interested 805-451-0891 my name is John

Old 09-14-2005, 12:29 PM
texasbob
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome Johnny,
I have a 60 F-100 that my son drove in high school and off to college. Look at www.ecihotrodbrakes.com. We got their disc brake kit and it was a bolt on job. You can get complete kits or basic and scrounge the rest of the stuff locally.

60 F-100
95 F-150

Old 09-14-2005, 03:08 PM
krautwolf
Mountain Pass
Salvage Yard Disc Brake Shopping List

Johnny,
59Fguy posted a shopping list and procedures for the disc conversion on 57 - 60 F100's on 6-28-05 titled "power brakes". Use the search function at the top right of this page to find it. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
KW

Last edited by krautwolf; 09-14-2005 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:19 PM
krautwolf
Mountain Pass
Brakes

For even more detailed procedures and illustrations, try www.59fordtruck.com