Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..... if you insist .....

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 11:44 PM
willperk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
..... if you insist .....

Hi ..... i'm relatively new here .... am doing some research for a non-pc-literate friend who is having starting problems with his 1996 F-150, 5.0L V8. It starts just fine when engine is cold; if he stops and restarts within a few minutes ...... again, it starts just fine. However, if he waits ~5 minutes, it will not fire right off, but will take several seconds before it fires off.

I've read many posts in this forum ....... seems it could be one of perhaps a handful of things ...... the most prevalent being ignition components i.e. the ICM or the TFI Module or the E-Core Coil, etc.

I drive an '01 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.3L V6 modified by VMI (Vantage Mobility Inc.) for wheelchair access. The last Ford I owned was a flathead '53 Victoria Coupe ..... it was a good car, but I needed some tires and didn't have the $$ to buy a set, so traded it in on a new '57 Chevrolet 4-dr Hardtop.

Well, now that I've made my 1st post I hope you will quit 'timing me out' in my search for info for my friend.
I'm also doing some parallel searching at Autp Zone .... pricing parts, looking at wiring diagrams, etc.

-- willperk

Old 09-12-2005, 05:19 AM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi and welcome to FTE! Be sure to read this to help you around this site: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=300691 There are also State Chapters located near the bottom of the main forum page.

Thread moved to 87-96 F-Series forum.
You should get more help in here. Hope we can help you out.

See ya on the boards!

-Matt

Old 09-12-2005, 08:44 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome!

It is probably not the TFI module, those usually just quit and the engine dies.

Run a computer diagnostic test, you can do it w/o special tools and it'll tell you if the computer has any issues. You can do a search in this 87-96 forum for "computer codes" or "checking codes" etc, and you'll pull up previous threads that'll tell you how to check the codes. If you get some codes, we can help you diagnose it from there.

Old 09-12-2005, 06:29 PM
willperk
New User
Originally Posted by MustangGT221
Welcome!

It is probably not the TFI module, those usually just quit and the engine dies.

Run a computer diagnostic test, you can do it w/o special tools and it'll tell you if the computer has any issues. You can do a search in this 87-96 forum for "computer codes" or "checking codes" etc, and you'll pull up previous threads that'll tell you how to check the codes. If you get some codes, we can help you diagnose it from there.
Thanks, Justin, for your prompt reply ....... and thanks to you, Matt, for that link and your helpful guidance.

Q. Where on the FTE website can I access guidelines/instructions for making new or reply posts - i.e. rules for posting, as well as the 'mechanics' of the same.

Justin, I will do that search for "checking codes" and pass the instructions on to the owner, as well as discuss when to take the readouts. I'm familiar with 'milking' the DTC's from Chrysler line vehicles, and figured there were similar methods of access for Ford, GM and other OBD2 vehicles ..... just never had the 'need to know' before now.

I'll also ask the owner to list all devices replaced or serviced in the recent few months. I know he has spent several hunded $$ on such - some specifically trying to alleviate the "no/slow-start" nuisance, and some he considers routine maintenance, i.e. sparkplugs & wires. I'll post the info when I get it - may be several days.
-- willperk

Old 09-12-2005, 08:06 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Where on the FTE website can I access guidelines/instructions for making new or reply posts - i.e. rules for posting, as well as the 'mechanics' of the same."

go here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/faq.php

look at headers at top of page.

welcome to fte.

Old 09-13-2005, 07:12 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The link in my signature goes to our guidelines...there is also a link at the bottom of every FTE page

The truck has a pretty sophisticated diagnostic system, so you should be able to find out anything if there is a problem within it's limits. Autozone will check codes for free.

Also, check the Read First! threads stuck on the tops of forums for extra info

Old 09-13-2005, 10:30 PM
willperk
New User
Originally Posted by MustangGT221
The link in my signature goes to our guidelines...there is also a link at the bottom of every FTE page

The truck has a pretty sophisticated diagnostic system, so you should be able to find out anything if there is a problem within it's limits. Autozone will check codes for free.

Also, check the Read First! threads stuck on the tops of forums for extra info
Thanks for that followup ....... quicklook2 pointed me to the faq, and I pretty well found what I needed there. I do usually read the 'upfront' "sticky(s)" (Read First) posts, but admit that sometimes I'm impatient and rush past them.

In my research so far, I have concluded that the '96 F150, 5.0L V8 is equipped with an EEC-IV engine controller, which is compatible with EPA OBDI ..... with OBDII complianc not coming until EEC-V. I've looked at component & wiring diagrams on the AutoZone website.

Further, I have found that 'pulling' DTC readouts without a 'scanner' is accomplished via jumpering certain pins on the OBDI connector (located under the hood), and the readouts are coded flashes of the CEL (or MIL) light on the dash.

I'm still searching for more specific 'code readout' instructions ...... don't think my friend is much of a DIYer, so your suggestion to have AutoZone pull the codes will probably come to the fore ...... when he has taken it to the dealer, it always starts right up, and they have not found any codes 'set' ! ! ! Sounds like my luck ! !

Again, thanks for the followup ...... I will probably be posing some more questions ...... will try to stay on one subject at a time.

-- willperk
P.S.: I'm in a small (4K pop.) country town ~100 miles SW of Ft. Worth ..... I think there's an AutoZone in Brownwood - 25 miles west ...... the Ford dealer there is where the owner has had the work done so far.