1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Wiring Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 11:17 PM
seawulff
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Wiring Help

I am about to undertake rewiring my '56 F100. It looks like a rats nest under the dash. I can't find any step-by-step instructions in my manual. How do I remove the bezels around the ignition key slot and the light switch? Also how do you get to the lights cluster under the dash, the one that has a fuse on the top. I am also looking for a replacement wiring harness and saw a complete one at Sacremento Vintage Ford but my truck is a 1956 and the engine is a 1957 292/312, does the different engine make any difference in which wiring harness I get. If I approach this like I have all of the other repairs I've made I will break more than I fix and it's getting expensive that way!

Old 09-12-2005, 06:38 AM
cudaz101
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you contact Sac vintage ford they have a trouble shooting desk that can answer those types of questions. Its not the first time anyone has come across the same inquery I'm sure..

They have always been helpfull when I've contacted them.

Brad

Old 09-12-2005, 07:06 AM
ranger pat
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
The bezels around the wiper/ignition switches use a special tool that grabs the two slots in the part right inside the bezel face. The tool is available from MID50.

Old 09-12-2005, 07:57 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The wires don't know what engine they are connected to, just be sure the harness is for the V-8.
Are you planning on leaving the truck stock? The OEM wiring is marginally adequite for a stock truck, since it does not have a fuse block adding on any accessories even a decent radio will be difficult. It's only a little more work, and not much difference in price to use an aftermarket harness that includes a fuse block and has available extra circuits for adding accessories.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:39 AM
seawulff
Tuned
I am planning on keeping the truck "stock" but in those instances where after market stuff adds to safety or function I'm usually going with that stuff. Thanks for the help I'll call Sac and see what kind of help they can give me over the phone.

Old 09-12-2005, 11:05 AM
fatfords
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pat is correct on the tool, or you can make your own pretty easy out of some flat stock. I think the only ****/bezel I used it on was the one for the wipers.

First, disconnect your battery. Welding tools under the dash with a battery isn't cool. Please don't ask how I know this!

If I remember correctly, the light switch has a push button on the back side that "releases" the **** and shaft out the front. After that, you can use a wide screwdriver to get the bezel retainer loose.

The ignition switch has a large spring on the back side that keeps the switch in place. Remove the key, reach under the dash and push the assembly towards the rear of the truck. Use the wide screw driver to loosen the bezel retainer.

For the wiper switch, the tool looks like a wide screwdriver with a slot cut in it to clear the shaft. I made min out of a piece of flat stock. The **** comes off with a set screw, and then use the tool to loosen the bezel retainer.

For the wiring, take a look at Earl's World, under the reference material, for copies of the wiring diagrams from the 56 shop manual. Ax has given good advice on the harness. A "universal kit" with just a few circuits is usually pretty reasonably priced. Especially now that Painless and Ron Francis are getting some competition from companies like E-Z wire, American Autowire, Haywire, etc.

Good Luck,
Kent

Old 09-12-2005, 06:25 PM
seawulff
Tuned
Thanks for the detailed instructions. I found a wiring diagram in the shop manual that I have. My hands are so big that it's hard to get them behind the dash to reach some of those parts but I'll give it a try. I won't weld anything with the battery connected I'm almost bald as it is. Thanks.

Chris